PDA

View Full Version : As an owner/operator what are your greatest frustrations and how do you handle them?

Pilgrims' Pride
01-04-2005, 09:50 AM
The title says it all folks.
I'm betting that there will be lots of common responses.

lawnservice
01-04-2005, 05:02 PM
the weather

Enviro Green
01-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Employees .

garydale
01-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Balancing growth with hiring and finding new people.

James Cormier
01-04-2005, 07:37 PM
The title says it all folks.
I'm betting that there will be lots of common responses.

wondering why more people wouldnt want to work 9 months a year ( new england ) take days off when you want, spend time being with my kids while they are growing, instead of wondering where all the years went when they leave for college ( i know where they went cause I was with them ) and still make a good living.

Dman1214
01-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Jim, your killing me here! Oh the guilt! (lol)

James Cormier
01-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Jim, your killing me here! Oh the guilt! (lol)
I knew you would like that answer.... :D

Pilgrims' Pride
01-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Jim, DMAN,

Thanks for the intelligent responses.
I guess its early and the holiday "egg nog" hasnt run out yet!
Happy new year all.
See you at the Grows show.

lawnservice
01-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Jim, DMAN,

Thanks for the intelligent responses.
I guess its early and the holiday "egg nog" hasnt run out yet!
Happy new year all.
See you at the Grows show.

I said weather...very ligit concern, and intelligent...no??

another said employess, also very ligitand intelligent... no?

another said balancing growth w/hiring,firing, very ligit, intelligent, right?

one mentioned working seasonal? (which is very cool to have time for family), but...not really what your original question is about, right?

one jumped in to say he felt 'guilty' for (implied) not spending more time with his family

Pilgim asked the question then comments on being thankful for two intellegent responses.....what???

I take this defensive stance because i answered a question that was asked, answered it honestly, intellegently, and quickly (seeing as how the question was posted and left unanswered for a few hours, i actually thought i was doing a favor by being the first to reply)...i dont drink egg nog

Pilgrims' Pride
01-06-2005, 03:30 PM
lawnservice,

I thank you for your reply and yes you did get the ball rolling here.
It seems that we all have the same headaches.
I do appreciate the responses and if you notice my "jab" was not at all directed at you.

lawnservice
01-06-2005, 08:29 PM
lawnservice,

I thank you for your reply and yes you did get the ball rolling here.
It seems that we all have the same headaches.
I do appreciate the responses and if you notice my "jab" was not at all directed at you.

well, yeah, NOW i notice the jab was directed towards jim and dman :o
my bad!

cemars
01-06-2005, 10:39 PM
After 10 years as an owner operator, my experience is that employees will ultimately be your greatest frustration.

As you grow, you will have to rely more and more on others to provide and maintain the quality of the services you offer. When you are a one man show, you do things exactly the way you believe they should be done, and assuming you have a good understanding of your business you will most likely do them right. You will take good care of your vehicles and equipment, be reliable, responsible, courteous to your customers, make sound decisions in the field, take advantage of sales and up-sell opportunities, show up to work on time and every day. Then when you grow you will expect to hire someone that will be like you.

This is when the frustration starts. You can find others that are good, but they will never be as good as you because if they were they would have there own business. How do you handle this challenge, by learning all you can about attracting and keeping quality employees.

On the other hand if you want to be a one man show, your frustration will be limited income (I maxed out at 80K as a one man), you will have to wear all of the hats, show up every day, do all the work, etc., and you will have to come to grips with the fact that if you somehow manage to break your leg you will be f**ked.

grass-scapes
01-06-2005, 11:47 PM
My frustration? Getting on a site and reading the same replies over and over and over....LOL. No really.......Employees or lack of reliable ones

Pilgrims' Pride
01-07-2005, 12:11 AM
No biggie lawnservice.
Cemars, you hit it on the head.
Hiring reliable help will be tough when the time comes.
I have a friend who said "If you can find someone who will do things 90% as good as you, take them."
I don't look forward to that but I can see that as things grow it will be a necessary evil.