PDA

View Full Version : Do you know how much fuel is in your mower?

all ferris
01-04-2005, 11:10 AM
It was pretty warm here on new years eve. The tanks on the mowers were sweating were the fuel was. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to see this all the time? It seems like the transparent tanks eventually get yellow and then it's hard to see through them. On the walk behinds I can take the cap off and see how much fuel is in it but on the ridder it's a guessing game. The way the tanks were designed on the rider you can't see the bottom of the tank with the cap off. Sure would be nice to see exactly how much fuel is left with just a glance at the tank.

TClawn
01-04-2005, 02:42 PM
have you tryed tapping the tank with you hand and keep getting lower until you don't hear a hollow sound any more?

impractical, but it works.

imalandscper
01-04-2005, 04:32 PM
I do the same thing. just bang on the tank and i can tell how much i have left. an easier way is just wait and run out of gas in the tank your on!!

all ferris
01-04-2005, 05:00 PM
I have only ran out once in the past 6 years. I just thought when I saw the tanks sweating it was very easy to see exactly how much fuel was left. Just wish it was always this easy. I really wouldn't mind paying an extra $50 or so for an actual fuel gauge. Just think how many times you have stopped to see how much fuel is left. Little things like that all add up.

TClawn
01-04-2005, 05:55 PM
with my walkbehind I have timed how long it can actually run on a tank. I can get about 10 lawns out of a tank, or 5 hours run time.

after you've had your machine for a while you start to get a feel for the gas usage.

walker-talker
01-04-2005, 07:00 PM
My Walker's tank has turned yellow as you stated, but still no problem seeing where the fuel is. Why does no one install fuel guages? I have one on my 5hp Kaw that's on my 200 gallon tank sprayer. I am guessing it's there since the motor sits high up in the back of the truck. Really, how much could a fuel guage cost??? I would love to install one my TTHP and Walker both.

Anybody install aftermarket fuel guages on their equipment???

grass disaster
01-04-2005, 07:07 PM
you should have bought a kubota they put a gage next to the other instruments(how convenient). plus i don't need to fill it very often since it sips the diesel. payup

riches139
01-04-2005, 07:14 PM
I like the beer cooler on the armrest. :drinkup:

Travis Followell
01-04-2005, 08:13 PM
We know about how long we can run on one tank before switching and very seldom do we ever run out of gas. A fuel guage would be nice though.

lawncare4u
01-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Why not just fill up at the end of the day?Or if you're really hard at it ,fill up between jobs--or carry e-xtra gas cans on the trailor and have it on hand as needed!! :cool2:

Shultz
01-04-2005, 10:15 PM
turf tigers come with a gas cap / gauge with a simple float in it-i would think it would fit the z you have also. You can read the amount from the top of the cap-sitting on the seat.

bob
01-04-2005, 11:04 PM
My Grasshopper has an 8 gallon fuel tank with a gauge like this, http://www.hiperf.com/acatalog/Online_Catalog_Tank_Caps___Gauges_323.html

My Gravely diesel has (2) 7 gallon tanks. Once in a while I'm not quite fast enough to hit the lever ,to switch tanks before the engine spudders out.