PDA

View Full Version : off season work

lawnchopper
01-04-2005, 11:48 AM
whats everyone doing this winter for $$$ It just doesnt seem to want to snow here in central Mn and im a employee so all i get is some measly unemployment. Im questioning staying in the industry cause the income does a nosedive in winter. What are some things someone can do in winter???

meets1
01-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Worse case - go get a job, but then your off unemployement which is probably easier but with very little snow thus far - what else are you going to do.

We do anything we can. Hauled away x-mas trees, when it rains here it turns to ice - de-icing jobs, cut wood, split wood, fix equipment, etc. Maybe your just an employee for someone but ask them to offer x amount in return for a few hours each week to fix, repair, shine up equipment.

Wells
01-04-2005, 03:42 PM
I talked to a guy the other day that was delivering our new phone books. He mentioned that he does this type of work in the winter to keep himself busy and make extra income. Come to find out he does concrete work in the summer but like lawn care the winters slow down.

He said he picks up the books and is given a route. Each route generally take anywhere from 4 to 8 hours to complete and he is paid for each route he completes. He is considered an independent worker so he has no time clock, no supervisor, and decides when he wants to work.

For anyone looking for side work that you can do on your own terms, phone book delivery might be worth looking into.

rodfather
01-04-2005, 05:37 PM
I talked to a guy the other day that was delivering our new phone books. He mentioned that he does this type of work in the winter to keep himself busy and make extra income. Come to find out he does concrete work in the summer but like lawn care the winters slow down.

He said he picks up the books and is given a route. Each route generally take anywhere from 4 to 8 hours to complete and he is paid for each route he completes. He is considered an independent worker so he has no time clock, no supervisor, and decides when he wants to work.

For anyone looking for side work that you can do on your own terms, phone book delivery might be worth looking into.

You most likely will need a van though...or at least a pickup with a cap. Wonder what it pays?

BENTLEY'S
01-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Rodfather,

Phone book delivery in Tidewater Virginia pays from .15 to .19 per book.

Bentley's

Yard Perfect
01-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Power wash, gutters, bed clean ups, transplant, clean equipment, put out door hangers - oh my! there is so much to do - most of which pays.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-04-2005, 08:00 PM
One way Ive been pondering is buying used cars, shining & painting them a bit and selling them for profit. I have a freind that does this while layed off and he does pritty well for himself. He told me one time he bought this cadilac, picked it up with his trailer and on his way home he stopped at this gas station when a guy became interested in it and bought it latter that night for $2000 more than my buddy paid. He didnt even have to wash it.
I also thought about giving up snow removal (dont get a lot here in southern Indiana anyway) and driving over the road trucks for a few months. Maybe buy my own tractor semi fairly cheap ($10,000 to $20,000). I have another freind that owns his rig and a company pays him $3500 every time he runs to California for them as often as he wants.
either one would be good for me as Im a darn good mechanic & body man and I have a nice shop

captaingreen
01-04-2005, 09:11 PM
I've been seriously thinking of taking some welding classes this winter and putting that to use in the winter. Not only for myself but also doing repairs for others and possibly fab stuff to sell to local LCO's i.e. trimmer racks, blower racks and such.

cantoo
01-04-2005, 09:13 PM
I do the buying and selling thing also. I try to buy cheap off season and sell in season. I also buys a few trucks or vans to sell. Pretty much anything I can make a few dollars on. It makes a nice hobby.

osc
01-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Helping a guy build a house. Not for free.