PDA

View Full Version : Putting Greens

Jamesgateslandscaping
01-04-2005, 12:48 PM
I have been tossing around the idea of putting greens, Is there a market for it? I have been looking at the kits from a company that sells polypropelene kits, not the nylon ones, the material is very nice and is of good quality but Im just afraid no one will want one, I live in middle to upper class area and think it might be a good try, the cost to install one is $4.50 a square ft but I can market them for $11-$14 payup a square ft according to the dealer, I need opinions because it seems like a lot of money can be made from this,
Thanks Guys
James

J Hisch
01-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Yes there is a market for it. Yes, the money is good. They are easy to install, but you need someone with patience to do the cutting for fringes etc. The Market I have found best is hotels. Every business man takes his clubs with him out of town. What better way to kill of those evening hours than a putting green. Also a market for higher end office complexes, with high power executives, stress relief during the noon hour is my selling point. Residental have to have golf nuts with money to buy. Hope this helps.

rodfather
01-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Yes The Market I have found best is hotels. Every business man takes his clubs with him out of town. What better way to kill of those evening hours than a putting green.

Someone's done their homework. Smart idea IMO...

Randy J
01-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Personally I think this is going to be one of the fastest growing markets out there. Look how big golf is. And many people can't get to the course often enough. I like the idea of hotels, but I see a huge market with homeowners also.

out4now
01-04-2005, 05:13 PM
There are some homes here with them and resorts have them as well. You see them more in the affluent neighborhoods. How fast can the kits be shipped? If it doesn't take long you can do just in time delivery and won't have a lot tied up in inventory. There are companies here that specialize in it so there is definately a market.

J Hisch
01-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Randy J I have found home owners are not the Market, but rather a very small part of it. First, most wont drop 4K-11K for a putting green, becasue if they sell they are out of luck and the new homowner better be a golf nut. Second, Most dont have the yard for it. Yes, you have a select few who will buy one but most will not. Office complexes, Hotels, housing assosiation, Dirving Ranges, golf supply stores etc. If you start this market you need a show green to display to others, so you either need to sell your first one for cost or install one at your shop or home.

SodKing
01-04-2005, 07:01 PM
I have seen this craze bloom and wither in my area. 3 years ago there were a lot of synthetic greens being installed and now I see most are being removed.

I have had some calls for natural greens but as stated above most residentials don't want to pony up the $7,000-15,000 to build one not to mention the $135 per week to maintain the green.

I will leave you with this....a pic of my green... :waving:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14693&stc=1

Jamesgateslandscaping
01-04-2005, 10:13 PM
The kits I plan on installing are synthetic and there is vertually zero maintence and that should be a few selling factor in my area (NH), Im gonna try a marketing campagn in the spring and hopefully I will be succesfull, any other help would be great. The greens are custom cut so there is no inventory and I believe the shipping is quick, factory help is good so far because I have talked with them on the phone. Im also trying to find a spot to set up a sample of the green, hopefully Ill find a place.
Thanks guys
James

SodKing
01-04-2005, 10:21 PM
James, take note of my location and my last post. IMO the synthetic greens market is flat in NH. I know of 3 greens that were installed 2 years ago that were removed after their first winter. Even synthetic greens require maintenance in NH and people, it seems are disenfranchised with that idea.

Grass Gator
01-04-2005, 10:22 PM
SodKing -

Why are many greens being removed??

SodKing
01-04-2005, 10:39 PM
I am not completely sure. I can say that they look good when installed but look like heck after a couple winters. The carpet becomes loose and they look extremely fake and worn. (FYI I didn't install any of the ones we have been asked to remove) Also, I think the homowner believes that they will use the green but I have not seen that to be that case. Most are members of one of several clubs in the area so perhaps the need for a backyard putting green is overstated in their case.

Grass Gator
01-04-2005, 10:43 PM
makes sense....

Jamesgateslandscaping
01-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Thanks, Where in NH are you? Im Amherst.

SodKing
01-04-2005, 10:53 PM
I live in Dover NH, most of the companies business is in the Seacoast of NH. We service mostly high end residential estates and commercial properties. My younger brother lives in Amherst, are you near Baboosic Lake?

Jamesgateslandscaping
01-04-2005, 10:59 PM
Ive have a few customers on babosic lake rd, I went to your website and saw that you went to UNH, I will be attending the Thompson School in sept. for landscape design and managment, Im 18 and am doing very well, Im gonna be a LLC in a week or so, (DBA now) Im gonna get my insurance and so fourth and am exploring addons (walkways, patios, walls etc),to my services now,(mowing, lawn installs, cleanups, mulch). IS your brother in the landscaping field?
Thanks
James

SodKing
01-04-2005, 11:03 PM
My brother is not in the landscaping field he does do a fair amount of plowing out that way though. Good luck in school, study hard, UNH is a great school and has an excellent campus. They also have a good hockey team, you should become a fan :)

HOOLIE
01-04-2005, 11:17 PM
How much work is involved in removing a putting green? Recently had a HOA call me to see if I could do that for them. I know nothing about them, but wintertime is always the best time to try something new.