PDA

View Full Version : Weird Winter

tiedeman
01-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Ok, so this winter so far has been really weird. The first half of December was nothing but snow, and then the last half was 60's and rain. Right now we have absolutely no snow on the ground. I can never remember something like this before.

To make things even more wierd a customer calls me up to come over to her house to do a fall clean up (rake up some leaves and to mostly pick up some sticks in her lawn). I said no problem I will be there tomorrow (Wednesday) in the morning. Now this is where is gets stranger, we are supposed to get anywhere between 5" to 12" of snow tomorrow night and Thursday morning.

packerbacker
01-04-2005, 03:44 PM
You think that wierd? We had a snowstorm right before thanksgiving, then its 60s for the first of DEC, then its in the teens for the 2nd week, then back to the 50s, then the 20s and finally last week it was almost 70 on FRI, today we are getting ready for an ice storm and it turns into a thunderstorm.

rodfather
01-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Nuts here too. No snow whatsoever. New Year's Day it was 64 degrees. Crazy.

impactlandscaping
01-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Troy, this winter makes me glad I sold the snow division out in April of 2004 :p ..It was 65 here on New Year's Day, too Rod..We have had ZERO snow events worth plowing / sanding /salting. If it stays like this much longer, I'm going to move up some spring hardscaping installs :D

rodfather
01-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Troy, this winter makes me glad I sold the snow division out in April of 2004 :p ..It was 65 here on New Year's Day, too Rod..We have had ZERO snow events worth plowing / sanding /salting. If it stays like this much longer, I'm going to move up some spring hardscaping installs :D

Makes me so glad I spent 20 grand on another truck and plow 4 weeks ago...NOT!!! :angry:

Lux Lawn
01-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Its been nice and mild here lately just the way I like it.60 last week and tomorrow we might get an ice storm they say I just don't want snow this week,next week they are calling for 55 and rain on Monday. :rolleyes:

1MajorTom
01-04-2005, 04:58 PM
The weather has been great here. sure it's raining, but we'll take that anyday over snow. We love when we get hardly any snow, we know it makes the plowers mad. (sorry plowers. :angel: )

rodfather
01-04-2005, 05:01 PM
The weather has been great here. sure it's raining, but we'll take that anyday over snow. We love when we get hardly any snow, we know it makes the plowers mad. (sorry plowers. :angel: )

Well if ya get any Jodi and you wanna get rid of some, send it due east to just over the other side of the PA line...that's where you'll find me and my plows. Bring it on sis...

Lux Lawn
01-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Well if ya get any Jodi and you wanna get rid of some, send it due east to just over the other side of the PA line...that's where you'll find me and my plows. Bring it on...

Rod-- You can have all of ours to if you really want it,for a small fee of course I don't want to be a called LOWBALLER you know. :)

rodfather
01-04-2005, 05:10 PM
You're a bud Larry. Lord knows you guys get your share of it. Small fee? No problemo senor :D

tiedeman
01-04-2005, 05:26 PM

I am happy that this will be my last year doing snow. I would like to get out of it by the end of month, but I don't see that happening

rodfather
01-04-2005, 05:29 PM
I am happy that this will be my last year doing snow. I would like to get out of it by the end of month, but I don't see that happening

See that Troy. I told ya so son, it's in your blood LOL :D I'm still laying odds btw...

tiedeman
01-04-2005, 11:15 PM
See that Troy. I told ya so son, it's in your blood LOL :D I'm still laying odds btw...

LMAO :) I guess we will just see

impactlandscaping
01-05-2005, 12:18 AM
It's easier than you may think. I'm glad after four years to not be doing snow this year. We added some new services last year that made up our average snow revenues and then some. I had some nice accounts that generated good profit, but our market was just bombarded in the last 2 seasons by unlicensed plow jockeys. The market was going downhill fast, and we got out while on top of it, sold both trucks, salters, etc..I doubt I would ever get back into snow removal again. At least in Morgantown :D

Side note: Our local plow shop sold 66 plows in 2002
They sold 110 in 2003...and had a six week wait for installs
in Oct.03, and for 2004, as of Nov. , they had sold 139 new
Meyer and Western plows..I think every redneck around here
w/ a four wheel drive truck has a plow now...

Mark McC
01-05-2005, 08:15 AM
How ironic. A customer of mine asked me in October if I would offer snowplowing. I mentioned that my truck has two-wheel drive and that it tended to float a bit on icy surfaces as it stood, so no, I did not.

I added that a snowplow set-up ran several thousand dollars (not to mention the cost of a decent snow-thrower) and I would not make the investment because it makes more sense for me to invest in more productive lawn service equipment in '05.

Here in northern VA, the snowfall is a bit dicey compared to Michigan. Not sure I'll ever feel especially compelled to try the snow business, but just let us have one heavy winter and I'll start asking myself about it. Still, in the seven years I've lived here, we've had only one winter that'd qualify as heavy on snow.

P.S. If you'd like to try to plan ahead, try this link. Not always correct, but for anyone who doesn't know about it, it can help you plan.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/30day/

rodfather
01-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Mark, if you had a 4-wheel drive pickup, I would say look around for a used plow. You can find them for like 1500 - 2000 bucks (new installed are like 4 grand). Skip the snow blower too btw unless you're gonna do a bunch of walks.

You're right, northern VA is questionable. Seems you get snow mostly in February where you are.