PDA

View Full Version : As an owner/operator what are your biggest frustrations and how do you handle them?

Pilgrims' Pride
01-04-2005, 03:52 PM
I started this over in the fert forum and got no replies.
Kind'a surpised by that.
So I figured I'd try here too.

packerbacker
01-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Breakdowns

I make sure i have extras in the truck such as belts, filters and sharp blades. I maintain the mowers every night and make sure they are ready for the next day.

Either that or weather but i cant change that.

Ol'time Lawncare
01-04-2005, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=packerbacker]Breakdowns

I make sure i have extras in the truck such as belts, filters and sharp blades. same here,but i've had customers say i'm a walking tool box!

HOOLIE
01-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Working solo, I find, doesn't leave enough time for me to really focus on the business side of the company as I would like. Too busy doing the actual work. I log on here and stumble across some nice ideas that I would like to experiment with, but it's hard to work outside for 10-12 hours a day and then come home and be able to focus on the other stuff.

rodfather
01-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Being paid promptly. Answer...full time bookkeeper and collections as of 01/03/05

bobbygedd
01-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Being paid promptly. Answer...full time bookkeeper and collections as of 01/03/05
good man, i love it. collection agency, or 2 am door kicking in?

rodfather
01-04-2005, 05:07 PM
good man, i love it. collection agency, or 2 am door kicking in?

Actually, I am seriously considering hiring a new outfit by the name of "BG & Associates". Their moto on their front door reads, "Have Shovel, Will Travel". Catchy, don't ya think?

Lux Lawn
01-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Actually, I am seriously considering hiring a new outfit by the name of "BG & Associates". Their moto on their front door reads, "Have Shovel, Will Travel". Catchy, don't ya think?

Thats got to be one of the funnest things I have read here in a while.
But my question is how far will they travel?

rodfather
01-04-2005, 05:14 PM
We haven't discussed mileage compensation yet. I just hope they show up with one of those big, older Lincolns with the VERY deep trunks...for money AND bodies.

Summertime Lawn
01-04-2005, 05:16 PM
As for collections, I had guy that had been ducking me for quite some time. So, on New Years Eve, I went to his house with a summary of his account and how much he owed me in plain sight. When he was not home I gave it to his 13 year old daughter and said "have your dad call me." Check in hand two days later.

Pilgrims' Pride
01-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Collections is one of my weak spots too.
It's time for me to get off my wallet I guess and update my software.
That will help.
I have also included a letter to all of my customers this year that explains payment policy in detail

rodfather
01-04-2005, 05:43 PM
I have also included a letter to all of my customers this year that explains payment policy in detail

Don't use your company letterhead...use your lawyer's instead.

scaglawnsnj
01-04-2005, 07:22 PM
have new customers pre pay for first year on a monthly basis next year bill them at the end of the month...if you have TRUST in them thats what i do.
it works out great jus make sure you be there on time every week..rain sleet snow no matter what :cool2: promises are they will be loyal to you...ow yea
talk to them like you their the big man on top. RESPECT does it.

coastallandscapesolutions
01-04-2005, 07:54 PM

Collections is number one on the list! I am right there with you Rodfather. Sign me up too! Oh wait..... I don't have that problem anymore :p Never mind.....

rodfather
01-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Collections is number one on the list! I am right there with you Rodfather. Sign me up too! Oh wait..... I don't have that problem anymore :p Never mind.....

yea yea Brian...haha, I am happy for ya, no AR's. Mrytle Beach rocks I know...dad lives there :D

HOOLIE
01-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Now that I've thought more about it, I've changed my mind...definitely the most frustrating thing is the f-ing weather. It's just the weather until it screws my week up, then its referred to as the "f-ing" weather.

Cobra Jock
01-04-2005, 10:30 PM

I believe a "Travel Surcharge" is in order here Gentlemen!!! :cool2: