PDA

View Full Version : 44" ZTR mower question.....trimming with it

SouthernYankee
01-04-2005, 06:13 PM
I have read a few posts of people who have emark ztr with a 44" and how many people feel that it is worth it to get a 48" instead because the 44" basically doesnt have any trim area.

IS there any truth to this claim ?

My parents house up north has highly edged areas around thier lawn, in other words there is probally 5 -7 inches of from the top of the lawn to the bottom of the bed. With my 48" walkbehind my front caster wheels sometimes go off that edge(since there are a lot of curves), so I was wondering if there is very little edge to the 44" mowers, would you have to go over a few inches of the premiter of the lawn with a trimmer? I basicall dont have to edge this way with my 48" . Input please

SouthernYankee
01-05-2005, 12:42 AM
no one has any experiance with a 44""??

65hoss
01-05-2005, 07:45 AM
44" has the tire and deck pretty much even. You have no trim side. So, for your question, you may want to get the 48" so that you have enough overhang to slowly run the area to keep the tires up but have the deck do the work. The best bet is the 52" HP, it has more overhang than the 52" full size lazer. I spent a few days in 04 using a 44", it cuts good but the trim side is the weak link.

Quality Cuts PLS
01-05-2005, 09:08 AM
I have a Lazer HP 44/20 with mulch kit. I have not had any problems trimming with this machine, except in very tight areas. A larger deck would not help in these areas. Every property is different. I used to cut one particular property for another company (about 14 months, weekly) with a 60/25 Lazer. When I took the property over I purchased the 44 due to other properties I had, but it produced a much nicer finish than the 60 because of the side to side width and front to back length of the deck being able to handle the undulations on the property better than the 60 with no dipping or gouging. This was a 9.5 manhour property with about 2.5-3 hours of mowing with the 60, with the 44 my time mowing increased by about 30 to 45 minutes, but the results we dramatic in the final outcome of the cut. Again each property is different and has different machine requirements. I would get in touch with your eXmark rep, or a friendly LCO and DEMO a 44 on your property in question.

Mowingman
01-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Gravely has a 44Z that has 3" of offset on the trim side.

NickN
01-05-2005, 09:31 AM
I have a Toro 44" SFS.There is no overhang on the trim side.The deck is even with the rear tire.Makes trimming impossible in many situations.On a straight bed border,it's no problem,but when the border curves,the deck leaves about 2" uncut.Have to come back with the line trimmer for that.Also,around trees,you can forget trying to trim close.2" away from the trunk is the closest I can get.Most times I use the 21" Cub to trim around the trees in a circle for two the three passes.Especially when I already have it out for slopes or near retaining walls.

Kelly's Landscaping
01-05-2005, 10:38 AM
I have several gates I get me 44 through that my 48 wb will not go through unless I take off a front caster and raise the deck and back through while rubbing the post. So for me the deck size was determined by gates not over hang that said you got like 1/2 an inch on the lazer for over hang. I use the cloth bagger with the steel mounting plate when I need to bag. Well the rear wheel misses the plate by about a 1/4 of an inch and has worn the paint off near the tire from when the bagger gets heavy and bounces into the wheel. Hope that helps as for trimming look your going to be trimming the whole yard any ways you are not going to notice much time being spent on extra trimming since you still would be doing it even with a 60.

SouthernYankee
01-05-2005, 11:52 AM
I need a mower that is 48" or smaller, and I would not be baggin

I guess that I would have to do much more trimming if I got a 44", but I know that a 44 could go a lot more places than a 48"

brucec32
01-06-2005, 08:35 PM
AS with everything, there are tradeoffs involved. I got the 48" deck to have a little more trim edge and productivity on large lots, but about 1/3 of the time the 44" would be superior.

1. More deck overhang gives easier trimming, but more overhang means more uneven cut over undulating terrain on warm season turf like Bermuda that shows rises and falls in the blade. Some small, rolling Bermuda and Zoysia lawns cannot be cut with my 48" Exmark for that reason. Just too many curves and dips. The more the wheel width matches the deck width the better it looks on this kind of turf. Concave sections are the worst and will leave a noticeble line in the turf if not cut just right. It's a geometry thing, I don't have the vocabulary to explain it, but longer overhangs mean the deck edge drops and rises more when your front caster tire rises or falls.

2. The 48" will cost a little more

3. The 48" will mow a little faster, but will not fit through many 4' gates.

The more formal the lawn the more likely you will be edging/trimming anyway in those areas, but yes, you will have to trim more with the 44" as a general rule.

ThreeWide
01-06-2005, 09:08 PM
I have a Toro 44" SFS.There is no overhang on the trim side.The deck is even with the rear tire.Makes trimming impossible in many situations.On a straight bed border,it's no problem,but when the border curves,the deck leaves about 2" uncut.Have to come back with the line trimmer for that.Also,around trees,you can forget trying to trim close.2" away from the trunk is the closest I can get.Most times I use the 21" Cub to trim around the trees in a circle for two the three passes.Especially when I already have it out for slopes or near retaining walls.

The exact same holds true for my Exmark 44" HP. When the turf border is lined with a hard edging material such as brick, I cannot get close enough without the tires scrubbing it.