PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

Patfo
01-26-2001, 10:18 PM
I just registered tonight and this is my first (of many more) post. I've been part time for 5 years and last year bought a 36 in. snapper walk behind. I had 20-21 residential accounts last year (mainly just cutting). I found last year on some of my nicer yards I was having to double cut to make them look decent especially in the first half of the season. I'm wondering if this is a common thing to have to do? I side discharged. One of the big lawn care services here in town runs Dixie Choppers and his cuts look fantastic. You guys who use Dixie's do you ever have to double cut? My last point: I'm considering going full time this coming year targeting residential accounts (mainly an acre and under) and considering the 42 in. Dixie Chopper as it would enable me to get through gates and work in small areas. What do you guys think? I know I've asked alot but any advice is GREATLY appreciated!

bob
01-26-2001, 10:24 PM
Welcome to the forum. You'll find a big Dixie Chopper following here. When the mowers not cutting right, there are a lot of things you can do to change this. Make sure the blades are sharp. Slow down. Or cut at a higher setting. Maybe try double blades. A Dixie Chopper or another ZTR mower will greatly increase productivity. Use your 36" for gates and get a 60" ZTR for open areas.

Eric ELM
01-26-2001, 10:27 PM
When the grass is growing close to an inch a day in the spring, sometimes I have to mow parts of a lawn a second time and sometimes the whole thing a second time. It depends on how thick it is. If you use double blades on the Chopper, it will cut a tall lawn much better and chop up the clippings much better. I have a page on my website about using the double blades and how much better a lawn can look with a comparison picture too. Check it out and also the page I did with commong search words to find past threads and posts on subjects of interest to you. If it helps you out, book mark it or you can always get there by clicking the top 2 links below.

If you have mostly gated lawns, a 42" Dixie Chopper would work fine for smaller lawns. If you can find bigger unfenced lawns, a 60" is great. I have 2 of the 60" Choppers and I have had great luck with them.

Esby
01-26-2001, 10:32 PM
I would also go for a larger deck than a 42". Thats just too small for a ZTR, you wont be getting your moneys worth in my opinion. That 36" snapper would be perfect for gates, and you probably wont get what you want out of it if you sell. Its worth it to keep that mower.

Currier
01-26-2001, 10:52 PM
Last year a subdivision by my house let their common area go for three months. Weeds 2 feet tall and grass growing everywhere. One day I saw a guy with a dixie chopper cutting it and I must say the finished job looked great! Did he have to double cut? I don't know but if he did the chopper did it fast! (know he didn't bag)
A chopper is really out of the norm around here. You will see one or two scags, maybe two exmarks and about 200 Walker mowers...I'm not kidding walkers are huge here 250 miles from Fort Collins but I just don't see how these guys can afford them. Of course there are always several used one in the paper...guess maybe they aren't affording them:)