PDA

View Full Version : Ordering 05 F350 Dump. XLT OR XL.

mrusk
01-04-2005, 09:46 PM
I am orderign a 05 f350 psd flat bed dump at the end of the week. I am stuck on deciding wheather or not i want an XL or an XLT. The only reason i am even considering the XLT is because of the power windows and locks. I priced out both trucks. The difference off the window sticker between the two is 1900 bucks. For the extra 1900 i get the pw, pl, 40/20/20 bench seat, cruise control,power mirrors and alittle nicer interior. All the other options are the same. I will be the sole driver of this truck for atleast a year. This will be a work only truck, no personal use. How much of a pain will the roll down window be for plowing?

Give me your thoughts please. I am leaning towards the XL, however my dad thinks i am dumb for not spending the extra money for the extra convince.

Matt

Fishin LCO
01-04-2005, 10:08 PM
I enjoy power windows b/c you can easily adjust them for special ocasions. No I dont think it is work $1900 but it is nice. I would probably go with XL unless I had enough free cash.

caz1
01-04-2005, 10:16 PM
go with the xlt heres a example your in your truck when someone walks up to the passenger side to ask for a price to do his lawn well instead of leaning all the over you just have to hit a button. maybe stupied to think of it that way but a can't stand having to reach a cross the sit to role down the window

ksland
01-04-2005, 10:40 PM
XL, its a work truck

wriken
01-05-2005, 12:14 AM
I would go with the XLT

Smalltimer1
01-05-2005, 12:24 AM
If I'm not mistaken you can order the power windows/locks as an option on the XL, or at least I know thats the way it used to be.

For your purposes, I'd get an XL, but first see if the windows and locks can be special ordered on the XL. Your other option would be to order an XLT, but delete all the extra stuff you don't want, therefore getting the XLT appearance group, but only having the power windows and locks, but still have the hose out floors and vinyl seat.

Gravel Rat
01-05-2005, 01:34 AM
Myself I like the simple manual locks and windows sure I would like to have the other XLT trim but this is a work truck I definatly wouldn't want carpet on the floor. With the power windows and locks you have more electronic crap to go wrong with the truck.

As for buiding a dumping flatdeck on a F-350 what are you plan on carrying ?

I know they have beefed up the newer F-350s but still by the time you add the deck and hoist your payload is probably going to be 4000lbs. I have considered going back to a older F-350 97 and earlier but decided against it there is no replacement when it comes to a F-450s 15,000lb gvw.

Its your decision to spend the extra bucks on a XLT truck but I don't think you really need a truck with power windows and locks.

Lawnchoice
01-05-2005, 01:36 AM
XL, its a work truck

I 2nd that !

olderthandirt
01-05-2005, 03:28 AM
Ordered the same truck a month ago and the decision was simple, XLT when your spending almost 50 k for a 1 ton truck whats another $1900 to have a few luxuries? And like my daddy always said "it only cost a few dollars more to go first class"

Mac

mrusk
01-05-2005, 02:26 PM
I got my mind made up on the XL i am pretty sure. If all goes well, i'll be running more than one crew next year and will just past this truck on.

Gravel Rat- I am going with a ABC 9.6ft flatbed dump with removal sides. I know my payload will not be the greates but i don't care. I know i won't be able to haul alot, however landscape companies don't make money hauling materials. For the money i saved over a F550, i can have my local yard make about 150 deliveries for me. I do not care how tough you guys think 550s are, if you load them to the max everyday they won't last forever either. As i get bigger and run several jobs at once i'll buy a single axle dump truck and hire a full time driver.

I decided with the dump flatbed because i knew i'd beat the heck out of a pickup bed, and i can haul alot of mulch, brush, and light stuff with it.

By the way, with the XL, OTD i am going to be around 41-42.5k.
Matt

NEPSJay
01-09-2005, 03:06 PM
xlt.....higher resale value

mrusk
01-09-2005, 03:47 PM
The funny thing is now i am doubting myself on the whole Ford truck idea. I am scared about the reliablity of the tranny and even the motor. I need this truck to run my business. I can't have break downs and down time. I am going to test drive a chevy 4500 this week.

Matt

chuckers
01-09-2005, 04:45 PM
I would go XL because of the fact that electronics dont like water. You will get snow on the windows with plowing. I do and thats my main reason for XL. Also the rubber floor is a great thing just something to thing about.

Scag48
01-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Pretty dumb not to get the extra options. $1900 seems like alot but you'll get better resale value. Power mirrors is nice if you're towing anything or plowing, nice to be able to move them around. Power windows is a no brainer, someone walks up to the truck on the passenger side to ask you something and you have to either get out of the truck or make them walk around to talk to you. Power locks isn't a huge deal but it's nice knowing that hitting a button locks all your doors. You also mention that an F550 is pointless for hauling but in the landscaping business, you do haul things whether you want to admit it or not. No you don't make money doing deliveries but if you're doing installs you need tools and materials and they can get pretty heavy. We have about 1500 pounds of tools in the back of my dad's F350 all the time and we tend to haul other things in the bed as well. Plus, when you step up to a 1.5 ton truck, you're getting a higher GVW plus the truck will stop a load better than a 1 ton truck. Just something to think about.

Smalltimer1
01-10-2005, 10:43 PM
The funny thing is now i am doubting myself on the whole Ford truck idea. I am scared about the reliablity of the tranny and even the motor. I need this truck to run my business. I can't have break downs and down time. I am going to test drive a chevy 4500 this week.

Matt

Don't let one person talk you out of it, and we both know who that is. Look how many people have told you our opinions on the Fords here, and only one person is speaking in dissent. If Fords were bad then they wouldn't be the number 1 selling truck since 1977.

UNISCAPER
01-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Umnnn Ahhhh Smalltimer......

You have a habbit of selectively leaving parts of posts out to press your opinions. You still never answered the questions I had regarding a truck and transmission your grandfather owned, which is in no way related to a truck and transmission you keep railing into the dirt. You compare an engine/transmission combo that has been proven year after year in many heavy use companies, and that is not even the same as the Allison in new GM trucks. At one point, you could not even name the series of the truck your grandfather owned, forst calling it a 60, then you changed that to a 70 series. You state that a 700R4 transmission has continually gone out in a pick up your grandfather owned. The 700R4 is used in half ton trucks. Hardly a farm vehicle. Your facts are grossly misconstrewn, and Ford trucks have had numerous repeated transmission and torque convertor problems since 1994, weather you choose to recognize this or not.

In the last post I made to Matt regarding the Ford trucks I have owned, I left it pretty clear that they have not worked for me. And, we are eliminating Ford trucks from our fleet because Ford does not know how to build a transmission. It was pretty clear how I left things. Just because the trucks don't work for me, does not mean they won't work for Matt. I would not wish the problems I have had on Ford trucks transmissions on anyone. I want to see thier TS tranny after 4 winters of heavy snow pushing and 4 seasons of pulling a landscape trailer. If they are still running, at that point, the transmission will have proven itself. It is not there yet, with cracked cases, scattered planetary drives, and cracked ring gears to name just soem of the problems the service manager of North County Ford has discussed with me.

As far as knowing who is talking who out of what, you need to read your past posts over again. You need to look at that little blue logo next to your name a minute if you think I am talking anyone into or out of anything. You are a walking billboard for the Ford truck company. I would not wish the problems I have had with Ford transmissions on anyone, no matter what brand is on the truck that failed. If these problems happened to a Chevy, I would be yelling about them just as well.

Sure since '77, Ford owns the pick up truck market. Just like the Bobcat skidsteer ruled the roost for 25 years too. Cat has so many more innovations, the gap is closing very fast. Because of the rubber band driven transmissons Ford has, I predict they will loosed thier market share too. It is happening as we speak. The gap is closing weather you choose to believe it or not.
By the way, you never gave me the number of that dealership with the crates of Allison transmissions stacked up behind your church, does it even exist??

Now we could continue on and on, but that is pretty pointless. No one is trying to talk you or anyone else out of owning a Ford, or a Chevy. It's time to cut the crap and move on.

firedude26
01-10-2005, 11:54 PM
I have bought 3 xl fords in the past 3 years and i have added the power windows after market for 300 per truck, i belive i had windows locks and autostart put on my last 350 dump for 600 bucks, you can do it yourself for about 400. also you can get a 40/20/20 vinyl seat from factory. good luck

Smalltimer1
01-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Ol' UNI.....knew you couldn't resist....
You still never answered the questions I had regarding a truck and transmission your grandfather owned, which is in no way related to a truck and transmission you keep railing into the dirt. It was a custom ordered C-20 with 6.2L diesel and 700r4. He has the window sticker and build sheet to prove it.

At one point, you could not even name the series of the truck your grandfather owned, forst calling it a 60, then you changed that to a 70 series.

The truck is a 70. Remember I have been in college and away from the farm for a while (over 6 months), such non important things fade over time.

You state that a 700R4 transmission has continually gone out in a pick up your grandfather owned. The 700R4 is used in half ton trucks. Hardly a farm vehicle. Your facts are grossly misconstrewn, and Ford trucks have had numerous repeated transmission and torque convertor problems since 1994, weather you choose to recognize this or not.

Yes it has died numerous times. It is a 3/4 ton truck, he has the papers to back it up too. It has been on our farm since 1983. The only reason we've kept it is for the good mileage it gets (+/- 18-20mpg). My facts are straight, and you can think what you like, but I do not shoot lines. I know Ford had trouble with the E40D when it first came out in 1989 to May 1995, when the internals were changed to something more substantial than the aluminum planetaries that were in there. The C6 was discontinued at this time. My F-250 happens to be one of the ones made in late May '95 and has the improved version. It's at 90,000 miles and hasn't had a lick of trouble. I've had everything from my little 5'x8' on it to our 26' 18,000 GVW dovetail equipment trailer, loaded. No problems so far.

It is not there yet, with cracked cases, scattered planetary drives, and cracked ring gears to name just soem of the problems the service manage of North County Ford has discussed with me.

More hearsay.

[/QUOTE]As far as knowing who is talking who out of what, you need to read your past posts over again. You need to look at that little blue logo next to your name a minute if you think I am talking anyone into or out of anything. You are a walking billboard for the Ford truck company. [/QUOTE]

I do not like the AOD/AODE they had in the early 90's, was not heavy enough for a truck. I am not tooting horns for them. I just have had great experiences with Fords and poor experiences with GM products.

Sure since '77, Ford owns the pick up truck market. Just like the Bobcat skidsteer ruled the roost for 25 years too. Cat has so many more innovations, the gap is closing very fast. Because of the rubber band driven transmissons Ford has, I predict they will loosed thier market share too. It is happening as we speak. The gap is closing weather you choose to believe it or not.

The only thing the Chevy has going for it is the Duramax, and that's a big maybe. You still have the Vortec piston slap and CSK issues on the gas engines, which far exceeds the number of Ford's problems with spark plugs blowing out, which is a lot cheaper to fix than a whole engine.

The gap is closing due to the popularity of the Dodge Cummins in combination with the Chevy and Duramax, not from the Chevy by itself. But thats just normal for something that had almost no market share to begin with.

I'm sure you'd have a full fleet of 6.5L/Allisons if thats what was offered.

By the way, you never gave me the number of that dealership with the crates of Allison transmissions stacked up behind your church, does it even exist??

Edwards Chevrolet

The real bad taste for the Allison came at a truck pull this past summer when I watched a brand new 3500 Duramax/Allison hook up to a 15,000lb. sled, and burned up the tranny at 200ft., heard a big pop, and then saw fluid and parts scatter all over the track, while the Ford F-350 PSD/TS walked out of the park with it with no trouble. Both were stock trucks, examined by NTPA inspectors. Made me think that if the almighty Allison couldn't handle 15,000lbs. what would it do with only 10,000??

Mowman29
01-14-2005, 03:17 PM
I wonder how the truck is 42,500 It must be a gas motor? With the diesel it going to run you 52,500. Get the better seats the cloth seats will last longer. You be replacing that vinel seat in 2-3 years. But the nice thing is you still can delete the carpet. The tranny is being fix by the time you get your truck you will not have a problem. I got a 05 F 250 about a month ago and knock on wood nothing yet. has 3,500 miles on it used it for plowing and nothing broke yet. got a 8.2 Boss V Blade and it the heaviest one on the market. Trust me buy the Ford If was me I would look at buying a 450 If you said you was looking at a Chevy 4500 the price is not much more and if your buying a truck buy a truck.

mrusk
01-14-2005, 07:25 PM
mowerman- It was 42000 with the PSD engine.

Matt

coastallandscapesolutions
01-14-2005, 11:42 PM
I am orderign a 05 f350 psd flat bed dump at the end of the week. I am stuck on deciding wheather or not i want an XL or an XLT. The only reason i am even considering the XLT is because of the power windows and locks. I priced out both trucks. The difference off the window sticker between the two is 1900 bucks. For the extra 1900 i get the pw, pl, 40/20/20 bench seat, cruise control,power mirrors and alittle nicer interior. All the other options are the same. I will be the sole driver of this truck for atleast a year. This will be a work only truck, no personal use. How much of a pain will the roll down window be for plowing?

Give me your thoughts please. I am leaning towards the XL, however my dad thinks i am dumb for not spending the extra money for the extra convince.

Matt

Matt,

Do yourself a favor and upgrade to the F450.... You will be happier. As for the XL -vs- XLT.... I just went through the same thing a couple a months ago when I bought three F550's. I went with the XL's and paid someone $429 each to install power windows and locks.

RedWingsDet
01-15-2005, 10:39 AM
Matt,

Do yourself a favor and upgrade to the F450.... You will be happier. As for the XL -vs- XLT.... I just went through the same thing a couple a months ago when I bought three F550's. I went with the XL's and paid someone $429 each to install power windows and locks.

I just want ya to know. I envy you!!! LOL... Hopefully someday ill have the business you have, well had. Well, im 16, and going into my second year, so hopefully someday I can have as many accounts as you had and especially (spelling?) ones that were that profitable. Anyway, I find that the business you had was sweet with all the accounts you had and I bet the profit was real real good. I dont know what the word im looking for is, If im trying to say I envy you, or if your my role model on the site? Or both?---Well I think both. LOL. :cool2:

By reading you posts on the blank check, and the SLT... I have a feeling your looking at buying a new setup for you solo rig??? :cool2: :waving:

coastallandscapesolutions
01-15-2005, 11:47 AM
By reading you posts on the blank check, and the SLT... I have a feeling your looking at buying a new setup for you solo rig??? :cool2: :waving:

Yea... I am thinking about it. Why not make a dream truck. I just posted my list in the blank check thread.

mrusk
01-15-2005, 07:35 PM
Still having bought anything yet. I really don't feel comfortable buying a ford with the tranny and other proablems they are having now. I went to a few chevy dealers today. With the gm points my dad has, and the rebates i qualify for I can get a 05 3500 dmax allison reg cab 4x4 with a 8 ft mason dump for 32500 before taxes. And with the chevy i can get 0% for 36 months.

Buying a chevy i save 10k, and then save money on getting zero interest instead of 2.9 that ford it offering,

Decisions, decisions. I know i will only have a 3400-3800lbs payload. But i figure by 2006 i'll be running another crew and this truck would be great for the mowing crew to pull the 18ft enclosed trailer with. I can get a single axle load of material delivered for 35 bucks, so i really am not to concerned about hauling alot of materail.

Matt

playnindirt
01-15-2005, 07:46 PM
dont know where you guys are getting a price of 42K for a 350 dump, i just bought a 650 dump 26K gvw cat diesel auto xlt for 44K in may. I can buy a 350 diesel auto around here for around 32K.

Mowman29
02-05-2005, 11:47 PM
IT WAS 40,595. I wanted to buy a Dump but the price of the Central Hydrogics was 3,600 then the bed was 3,200. So by my calc. thats close to what a F550 is. 47,000 and thats before any A plan Z plan or X Plan. So you guys are nuts. There is NWIH that anyone can get a F350 XLT dump for less and 42,000. I bought a 2005 F250 PSD XLT 4x4 the Invoice price was 39,616 I got it on A plan It was 31,000 then They sent me a 1,500 rebate check. so I got it at 29,500. If anyone could go down to there dealer and get one for that price without the discounts tell me where and then I use my A plan and get a Dump for what I paid for my F250