PDA

View Full Version : Sweepers

kutnkru
01-26-2001, 11:01 PM
I have a friend who has a JD with a sweeper attachment. I was hopeing that this unit would be beneficial for clearing turf areas along roadways of winter debris (sand and cinder).

I was just curious if anyone has used a sweeper for either dethatching or leaf removal. Would they damage the turf??

Thanks - Kris

Guido
01-26-2001, 11:05 PM
We used to rent a walk behind to clean the 10' or so covered with sand at our accounts on main roads. It did a pretty good job on the grass, then we would clear off all the sidewalks into the street so the city sweeper would pick it up. It was a good machine, self propelled, reverse, etc. I think it was a BCS. You could change out to a tiller or brushhog, or sicklebar mower, etc. It was great for parking lot clean-ups too.

Toro used to make a ride on dethatcher that was really just brushes like this one inside. The GREAT thing about those were that it picked everything up and dumped into the truck.

rdh
01-26-2001, 11:24 PM
you could sweep streets off in new subdivision on rain days.
that way theres no dust if you know the developers.
theres a old guy and son that does this alot they just go
around new subdivision were houses are being built and
sweep it in lots that dont have grass must be good money
in it they have new trucks and tractors.

BradHi
01-31-2001, 01:07 PM
Sweepster is by far the best one I have used. I tried the BCS walk behind and I thought it was too flimsy and awkward. Our sweepster is attached to a New Holland ls 140 Skid Steer that angles about 15 degrees left/right all controlled by the Skid Steers hydraulic accessory. It's does an amazing job on grass, pavement, interlock and even to clear snow. We primarily use it for snow clearing because it cuts down on the cost of Icemelters as it clears away all the snow not like a bucket or a blade. Check them out at http://www.sweepster.com

UrbanEarth
01-31-2001, 02:24 PM
Sweepers are great for dethatching and removing gravel from turf. You can damage the turf as with anything, but be careful and adjust the amount of pressure and you will have no problem.
BTW - If you do dethatch with one, check the muffler regularly (like hourly!) for buildup of debris. I had a fire once that was not fun!

The Gravely two wheel tractor and sweeper was what I used, and it was great. Expensive, but great.

Alan

thelawnguy
01-31-2001, 02:51 PM
"Sweepster is by far the best one I have used"

I rented a sweeper last spring, I wish I could remember the brand, but it was all hydrostatic, brush drive everything, and a world apart from the sweepster I rented the year before. Orange. No, not MB.

Im sure its a world apart in purchase price also!

SLC1
01-31-2001, 06:09 PM
We run an MB Broom 60" mounted on the front of our Hustler 3400 and we love it for clearing the sand and debris from between the curb to sidewalk area, we also use it to kick sand out of curb lines where our large FMC sweeper can not get to. We love it during the spring but that is about the only time we use it, we tried using it to dethatch lawns and found that it did almost too good of a job and dug into the lawns too much as for using a broom to sweep entire parking lots I would think it would not be cost effective and would take to long because then you would have to pick up all the sand after you get down windrowing all the sand. Just My two cents

kutnkru
01-31-2001, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the input.

I will be contracting labor out to my buddy for the use of his sweeper attachment on the removal of sand/cinder on aprons and curbside this spring.

I will keep using powerrakes for dethatching.

Thanks again for all your advice.
Kris