PDA

View Full Version : lesson learned again and again

Currier
01-27-2001, 12:04 AM
I've known it forever, (learned thru experience) but the right equipment really does matter. I just finished a shrub removal job for a mowing customer. I do not own a chainsaw so I borrowed an old one from family. The job took longer than expected (surprise) but not too bad. The thing that killed me was the heavy labor that resulted from using junky equipment (I haven't swung an axe that much for years). Now things are slow around here right now so it didn't really matter, but it sure made me remember that this biz isn't bad if you have the right equip. and is a killer if you are trying to make it with junk!

I'm hoping to buy a stihl saw sometime this upcoming season. Any advice on model? Any other brands you'd reccomend? I don't know much about them but I do know that the next time I need one I want to have the right one!

[Edited by Currier on 01-26-2001 at 11:44 PM]

Davis TLC
01-27-2001, 12:28 AM
I haven't bought one in several years. Depends on how much you want to spend. Here is a link to their product page:
http://www.stihl.com/produkte/

Take a trip down to your local dealer and look them over. My Stihl chainsaw is an 026. Cuts great and not too heavy.

Likestomow
01-27-2001, 12:45 AM
Here's what I did -- I went to my ACE hardware store and asked the Manager if he had any returns. We walked in the back storage area and he took me to his repair bench. There were probably 3-4 chain saws sitting on the floor. I looked for the size I wanted and found one that looked fairly clean. It started up right off, but it didn't idle too good. The Manager said it probably only needed a slight adjustment.

This saw is an 017 Stihl, and it retailed for about $170. I offered the Manager $100 for it and he said he'd take $125. I agreed, took it home and read the manual. Then I did the low idle adjustment and it has worked fine ever since. If you like Stihl power tools, give this idea some thought. It never hurts to ask for a bargain, does it?

geogunn
01-27-2001, 01:29 AM
currier--I don't have a large saw but I have several small ones.

IMHO, if I were you, I'd go buy a sthil 029 farm boss. I'm looking for a tree job now so I can make the money in one job to pay for one myself.

between us friends, if you need a bigger saw, you need a much bigger truck!

GEO

MJ
01-27-2001, 07:35 AM
I'd recommend either Stihl or Husquavana (often referred to as Husky) if you're looking for quality. Two main consideration is anti-vibration while running and a compression release for starting the saw. If you have to pull against compression, it will wear you out quick. Stay away from the "homeowner specials". Same as you probably advise with mowers.

Mick

Greenkeepers
01-27-2001, 09:36 AM
Ace hardware sells Stihl saws????? OR did they take returns or trades on new saws that they have. My bro. passed on a Poulan at TSC for $25. What an idiot, for $25 I can use it to cut roots out of the ground or something!

MJ
01-27-2001, 10:05 AM
If you paid me $25, I'd take a Poulan off your hands.

Mick

dmk395
01-27-2001, 10:18 AM
Personally I love my Husquavrna saw, I have the 55 Rancher and its great. Not much vibration at all, for a machine with 50cc of engine.

awm
01-27-2001, 10:23 AM
I HAVE A STIHL 028 THATS THE BEST I EVER
OWNED.BUT THE GOLD POULAN PRO 260 AT LOWES
FOR 160 IS ALWAYS THE FIRST SAW I PICK UP.
LIGHT VERY STRONG FOR 42CC AND CUTS AS GOOD
AS ANY IN ITS CLASS .
CHAIN WILL GET LOOSE AND STRETCH UNTIL ITS
USED A FEW TIMES.YOU WANT GO WRONG WITH
STIHL BUT THOUGHTI WOULD THROW THIS IN
IN CASE MONEY IS TIGHT.sorry for caps in a hurry

lawman
01-27-2001, 01:42 PM
I belive the Stihl farm Boss for around $300 is a great all around Saw. They have a good rep. and you can fix them yourself. The tec manuals can be found on ebay for around $10.00 each. I hope that this helps.

Currier
01-27-2001, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions on saws. My arms and shoulders are seriously sore today...but at least the job is done. Seems like every year I get one of these type jobs that needs the good equipment. You hate to buy something that you won't use all that often, but at the sme time it pays for itself the first time you do use it!
I'll be picking one up sometime this summer...if it goes like the rest of this biz. I imagine that once I own a good saw the business to use it will follow.