PDA

View Full Version : Best Stander.....Great Dane or Wright?

SouthernYankee
01-05-2005, 12:56 AM
What company makes the best stander? the super surfer or the wright stander?

impactlandscaping
01-05-2005, 01:08 AM
I have demoed both, but I OWN Wrights... :D It is a far better machine , IMHO..You'll get replies saying the GD's have a floating deck, and that makes them better, yada yada, yada...I had all floating decks on my WBs before going to Standers, and all they were was a $ 600.00 option on each WB X 3..I have never needed a floating deck on my 48" Standers. We don't change cutting heights, so no big deal.Even if you need to w/ a Wright, you can do quick caster adjustments w/o moving the deck and rear anti-tip rollers, for a half inch or so. The Wright Stander w/ Raptor blades and mulch kit is a deadly combo for us here in WV w/ fine fescues and rye / bluegrass lawns. They are just as impressive in the fall w/ GG and LG for bagging leaves. My suggestion is demo both for a few days, and see which one fits your needs better.There is a machine out there for every purpose, you just need to define the specific niche for it to fill....

cgland
01-05-2005, 01:13 AM
Go for Wrights! My guys love em. We had 2, I just bought 2 more and a Sentar. Love em!

Chris

SouthernYankee
01-05-2005, 01:14 AM
what size standers do you have? Do you think the 36 and 32 inch models are as bad because of rutting as a lot of posts say?

nitrotim
01-05-2005, 07:56 AM
what size standers do you have? Do you think the 36 and 32 inch models are as bad because of rutting as a lot of posts say?

I haven't seen the 32 yet but I saw a new 36" and my dealer says that the tires are wider on the new ones and rutting should not be a problem. Demo one

jim dailey
01-05-2005, 08:02 AM
I have 2 GD Standers, older surfers(not super surfers) w/52" decks. Most of my yards are bigger,and they handle them well. A lot of the guys here like the Wrights. Just a matter of preference, I quess. Mine handle the hills well.

cgland
01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Here are some Stander stripe pics.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=91065&page=2&pp=10

Itsgottobegreen
01-06-2005, 12:13 AM
I have demoed both, but I OWN Wrights... :D It is a far better machine , IMHO..You'll get replies saying the GD's have a floating deck, and that makes them better, yada yada, yada...I had all floating decks on my WBs before going to Standers, and all they were was a $ 600.00 option on each WB X 3..I have never needed a floating deck on my 48" Standers. We don't change cutting heights, so no big deal.Even if you need to w/ a Wright, you can do quick caster adjustments w/o moving the deck and rear anti-tip rollers, for a half inch or so. The Wright Stander w/ Raptor blades and mulch kit is a deadly combo for us here in WV w/ fine fescues and rye / bluegrass lawns. They are just as impressive in the fall w/ GG and LG for bagging leaves. My suggestion is demo both for a few days, and see which one fits your needs better.There is a machine out there for every purpose, you just need to define the specific niche for it to fill....

What he said. But I run gator blades instead of the rapters.

I have ran both the old style and new style danes, the new deere and the wrights. The wright wins hands down.

My best friend works for JD on the commerical mowing equipment. He will flat up tell you the wrights are a better machine.

CharlieBingo
01-06-2005, 12:53 AM
Not to make your decision more difficult, but I like the Danes a lot better; I've run both. Floating deck,spring loaded platform and most important easy cutting height change.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
01-06-2005, 04:20 AM
Ah dont let the wright owners fool you :p . If you decide to go with the great dane, check out the John Deere Quik Trak. Here's my a thread on mine, read through, look at the pictures, see for yourself what makes the Deere a superior choice. The dane's are pretty close to the same as the Quik Traks, but in my thread I explain some of the differences. Mainly the 7IRON deck comes on the Deere vs. a Fabricated deck on the danes and wrights. I know many will tell you "oh I never need a floating deck", but you always have it if you need it. Floating decks make it easier to change deck height (20 secs on a deere or dane) and can cut more uneven terrain. I mean a fixed deck is a fixed deck, nothing you can do about it. If you need a floating deck and you only have a fixed nothing you can do. All it takes is for you to need it once and you will wish you had gotten a floating deck. However a floating deck is not the only advantage over the wrights.

My JD 667 (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=88622&highlight=Mower%21)

brucec32
01-06-2005, 12:20 PM
I find it curious that some wright owners who live where they never need to change mowing heights often completely discount that requirement for others. I have mowed at 2" and 4" in the same yard in Atlanta due to different grass being used in the shaded vs. sunny areas.

Perhaps buying two Wrights would be a solution, one for the tall grasses, one for the shorter cuts. Unfortunately they're not cheap mowers either. But their space savings vs. ztrs or walk behinds could make that feasible.

I am also noticing that I hear raves about them mostly from guys cutting bluegrass, Fescues, or St. Augustine. Not much word back on Bermuda, and very little word on how they mulch with the new mulch kits.

I also really find the instant up feature of most ztr decks really useful to avoid scalping high spots and crests of hills, especially when mowing low grasses like Bermuda or Zoysia.

I'm really interested in seeing a sentar sport for that reason, does a sentar have the ability to raise the deck on the fly? Unfortunately the dealers I've been too have not had a full line to demo when I was by there.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
01-06-2005, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=brucec32]I find it curious that some wright owners who live where they never need to change mowing heights often completely discount that requirement for others. I have mowed at 2" and 4" in the same yard in Atlanta due to different grass being used in the shaded vs. sunny areas.

I am also noticing that I hear raves about them mostly from guys cutting bluegrass, Fescues, or St. Augustine. Not much word back on Bermuda, and very little word on how they mulch with the new mulch kits.

I also really find the instant up feature of most ztr decks really useful to avoid scalping high spots and crests of hills, especially when mowing low grasses like Bermuda or Zoysia.
QUOTE]

Well I will be purchasing a mulch kit for my John Deere Stander this spring so I will know how well a Deere Stander will mulch. My expectations are high.

Also transporting a stander with a fixed deck causes propblems trying to get it up on a trailer with out the floor scraping on the deck. With the floating decks you can raise the deck up and drive over with no scraping. This is a good mower for driving over curbs and such as well.

Bill Davis
01-06-2005, 04:19 PM
I was gonna ask about the JD's I have two Emark ZTR's and one Gravely walkbehind right now but I would love to replace the walkbehind with a stander. There are hardly any stander's in our area but I am open to the idea. There was a wright dealer in town for a while but I think their high makup helped put them out of business. How does the JD Stander price compared to a walkbehind the same size? Thanks yall

Lux Lawn
01-06-2005, 04:37 PM
I have 2 of the Great Dane SS and will continue to but them,I have never tried the Wright Stander but there are a few guys around here that have them but its mostly Great Dane's here.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
01-07-2005, 04:33 AM
Bill davis,

A 48" will run you about $6,939.00
A 54" will run you about $7,649.00
A 60" will run you about $7,859.00

These are JD units not danes.

65hoss
01-07-2005, 09:12 AM
After several years of riding and demo'g the standers, I have always had the 1 same conclusion. I like the Wright better. More comfortable. I always felt like I would fall off the jd/gd compared to the wright. I'm not buying any for the foreseeable future, but the Wright would be my choice.

Fareway Lawncare
01-07-2005, 08:52 PM
I Would Never Buy a Wright Stander Until they come out w/a Floating Deck.

They have, perhaps, the Most Innovative Mower on the Market & yet they still use the anrchaic Fixed Deck ? What's Up w/that..?

Fixed Decks Suck Period...especially on a 36" where you're cutting Lots of Different Accounts...& Mulching.

Spring Heavy Growth we Go Over Once @ Higer settings then drop it Down an " & Re-Cut or Vice Versa....Can't Do that w/a Fixed ! Cant even change more than .5" w/out Changing Blade or Axle Position..

Plus When You cut around Banks...etc the edge will catch & Scalp.

Wright Needs a Good Slap in the Face..They'd sell a Boatload of Stander's w/Floating Decks.

CharlieBingo
01-07-2005, 10:16 PM
It's got to be a patent issue. If your an experienced seasoned veteran you know the importance of raising and lowering deck height in thick spring grass. I could not imagine a fixed deck and trying to be productive!

Bill Davis
01-08-2005, 02:24 PM
So, with the prices that you gave me I could spend another $1000 dollars to buy a ZTR. What are the real advantages of a stander of a ZTR. I really like sitting down but if there are some real advantages to the rider I could be interested. Thank you guys for your help.

CharlieBingo
01-08-2005, 02:28 PM
For a lot of us sitting on a ZTR causes backaches. The Standers put the shock on your legs not your spine.

Itsgottobegreen
01-08-2005, 03:44 PM
For a lot of us sitting on a ZTR causes backaches. The Standers put the shock on your legs not your spine.

One of the reasons why I used standers. My back is bad (kinda sucks when your only 19.) Sitting on a ZTR kills me.

Precision
01-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Standers are cheaper, lighter, more nimble, better visibility, smaller foot print, that is the good side.

bad side, they usually have smaller tires, have more problems with the deadman switch (at least the JD's I used did), usually a little underpowered at 52" or bigger.

the difference between buying a ZTR and a Stander is more a matter of your accounts and your personal budget and tastes than which is "better". They are both better, just at different things.

Itsgottobegreen
01-08-2005, 08:01 PM
usually a little underpowered at 52" or bigger.

Not any more you can now get a 52" stander with both a 23 hp and a 25hp kawi engine. That is over kill at 25hp but worth the extra price. They just had to come out with that after I bought a new 23hp model.

cgland
01-08-2005, 09:05 PM
I don't see what the problem is with the Stander deck. I can change the cutting height in about 25 seconds. Not a big deal IMHO for a super machine.

Chris

Fareway Lawncare
01-08-2005, 10:14 PM
25 seconds ?

Let's say You Want to go from 3.5" to 2.5"....Can't do that w/Caster Spacers.

Raising 1" Very Important for Dbl Cutting Spring Growth & Different Heights for Accounts that are Irrigated vs non Irrigated in the Summer.

Likestomow
01-09-2005, 12:12 AM
I agree that an adjustable deck is an asset. I live in the South and a whole lot of people here have warm season grass in their front yard and cool season grass in the back yard. A fixed deck would never work for me.

I like the adjustable deck on the Sentar but prefer the Stander's design that allows me to stand up while mowing. Stand-up mowing just seems so intuitive to me; thatís why I chose to combine the two.

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=71094