PDA

View Full Version : leaves included with mowing?

snap12.5
01-05-2005, 01:25 AM
how many of u actually blow leaves off the lawns with the regular mowing? a few companies around here will blow leavers off lawn into beds and surrounding areas for free in order to mow grass, but only charge leaf removal for beds. with the size of some lawns around here, just to blow the lawn off would add up to 1 additional hour of work (with 8hp little wonder) for a $50 (25,000 sq feet) sized lawn. why do some companies do this? why not charge for the lawn and beds?

Lawnchoice
01-05-2005, 01:58 AM
I have somewhat of a simple formula that I go from.

If a lawn takes an hour to cut - hourly rate
If it requires blowing of leaves to make it look right - billed 2 bucks a minute over the average mowing time.

Haven't ever had a problem with people paying as long as you justify it on the bill.

On the contracted accounts it's all built in. If we blow the leaves and pick them up, it's easier when it comes time for the major cleanup.

bobbygedd
01-05-2005, 05:25 AM
CHARGE FOR EVERYTHING!!!!! why would you NOT CHARGE extra for leaves? it's a completely different service. do you charge extra for mulch instalation? for shrub trimming? for irrigation instalation? YES, we charge accordingly for leaves

snap12.5
01-05-2005, 02:46 PM
thanks for the replies. there is one house i will be bidding on that currently has a company that clears the leaves off the lawn before mowing every week. these people want me to mow their lawn and with a reasonable estimate i will get it. however, i know that they will say, "blowing the leaves off the lawn is included right? my last company did it like that. they only charge to get leaves out of the beds" -what should i say to this?

Lawnchoice
01-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Built blowing into your weekly maintenance price.

bobbygedd
01-05-2005, 03:11 PM
thanks for the replies. there is one house i will be bidding on that currently has a company that clears the leaves off the lawn before mowing every week. these people want me to mow their lawn and with a reasonable estimate i will get it. however, i know that they will say, "blowing the leaves off the lawn is included right? my last company did it like that. they only charge to get leaves out of the beds" -what should i say to this?
snap, you tell them that the mowing fee is xx per week, and the season runs from april thru october, after that, the service changes to leaf cleanup at which time the leaves will be cleaned, and the grass mowed. then tell them leaf cleanup will be xxx, this price is for the month of november

Mr. C
01-05-2005, 04:47 PM
these people want me to mow their lawn and with a reasonable estimate i will get it. however, i know that they will say, "blowing the leaves off the lawn is included right? my last company did it like that. they only charge to get leaves out of the beds" -what should i say to this?

Don't even discuss it with them if they don't bring it up. Just include the price for blowing the leaves with their monthly charge. Have it listed in your proposal but with out an itemized charge for it (like everything else). If they ask is leaf blowing included you can then say yes. If they mention anything about what the last company charged then ask them why are they looking for a new service.

bobbygedd
01-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Don't even discuss it with them if they don't bring it up. Just include the price for blowing the leaves with their monthly charge. Have it listed in your proposal but with out an itemized charge for it (like everything else). If they ask is leaf blowing included you can then say yes. If they mention anything about what the last company charged then ask them why are they looking for a new service.
can i ask how you incorporate a leaf cleanup fee into a monthly mowing fee? if it's $30 a cut, what do you do, divide say, a $300 leaf cleanup into the weekly mow fee to "hide it"? this would drive the weekly mowing fee up by about $10 a mow, and blow the guy right out of the water, cus his competitors are quoting $30

scaglawnsnj
01-06-2005, 03:08 PM
this is what i do mow the grass on weelky basis, nov comes blow bulk to flower beds for 3 weeks bag some just to look nice.the 4th week nov charge for laef clean-up by that time the customer usually acks if you can clean up leafs.. how much...there u go then dethatch and seed or aerate seed..+ winterizing....it's good to target uper-middle class working indiviuals for this kind of service plan. thus triple or more the moneys for that month

Lux Lawn
01-06-2005, 03:23 PM
how many of u actually blow leaves off the lawns with the regular mowing? a few companies around here will blow leavers off lawn into beds and surrounding areas for free in order to mow grass, but only charge leaf removal for beds. with the size of some lawns around here, just to blow the lawn off would add up to 1 additional hour of work (with 8hp little wonder) for a $50 (25,000 sq feet) sized lawn. why do some companies do this? why not charge for the lawn and beds?

Seems to me that if they blow the leaves into the beds and then clean out later they are doing double the work.If it took me an additional hour to blow off the lawn so I could cut it then thats what they would be charged for.

Mr. C
01-06-2005, 05:29 PM
can i ask how you incorporate a leaf cleanup fee into a monthly mowing fee? if it's $30 a cut, what do you do, divide say, a $300 leaf cleanup into the weekly mow fee to "hide it"? this would drive the weekly mowing fee up by about $10 a mow, and blow the guy right out of the water, cus his competitors are quoting $30

You are not trying to hide anything because in your service agreement you are telling him that leaf clean up is part of the service. What I would do is give the client a monthly lump sum price that includes all the services that you provide through out the year or season. Take the number of services for each item, divide by the number of months for service months. I would try not to worry about what the other guy is charging for 2 reasons. If the other guys are charging because you don't know their overhead or their profit margins. They might not be the same as your. They might not even be making money at the price they are charging. Believe my I know I've been there.

snap12.5
01-06-2005, 09:36 PM
lux lawn - the reason why this company just blows the leaves into the beds to clear off the lawn is because the customers didnt want to pay for the leaves to be blown into the proper place (woods, street). after all the leaves are down, the customer would then rake the leaves out of the beds themselves or hire some kid to do it. sounds stupid- i know, since the leaves at the end of the season are wet and piled up. but nevertheless, just running the blowers in a fashion to just clear off the lawn is still very time consuming but it has to be done regardless so u can mow even if u cant charge for it.

Mr. C
01-08-2005, 07:53 AM
lux lawn - the reason why this company just blows the leaves into the beds to clear off the lawn is because the customers didnt want to pay for the leaves to be blown into the proper place (woods, street). after all the leaves are down, the customer would then rake the leaves out of the beds themselves or hire some kid to do it. sounds stupid- i know, since the leaves at the end of the season are wet and piled up. but nevertheless, just running the blowers in a fashion to just clear off the lawn is still very time consuming but it has to be done regardless so u can mow even if u cant charge for it.

What i'm about to say may be tough to understand as a matter of fact i'm still learning how to deal with and accept this concept. This client my not be the one for you. Any service that you provide to the customer, you can certainly charge them for it (I'm still getting use to this concept also). It does not matter if it is leaf blowing or consultation You are in this business to make money.

bobbygedd
01-08-2005, 08:17 AM
this is why you must have an ENDING DATE for grass cutting. our "grass cutting" ends in late october, or when the leaves begin to fall. there is too much crap with clients who still want thier grass cut, but won't pay for leaf cleanup. there is no way in hell i'm blowing the leaves off the lawn , or putting them around a tree, for free, because they choose not to pay for this service, just so i can cut the grass. it's april-october=grass cutting. then it's nov-mid december= leaf cleanup. that's it. take control

LazyWeekends
01-08-2005, 09:06 AM
All I do is take a little extra time to blow the leaves back into the lawn and then mulch them. I charge a little extra to do this and this way I kill two birds with one stone.

snap12.5
01-08-2005, 07:34 PM
thanks for the great replies - i will have to redo my contract and specify my mow periods and then charge for leaves after october.