PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite truck tires?

GarPA
01-05-2005, 04:46 AM
I was surprised to see only one archived thread on truck tires so here goes.
My Dunlop tires on the 4x4 now need replaced and they were only 4 ply and barely got 25,000 miles out of them.

Would appreciate your sharing what tire you have had good results with. The factors that are important to me are:
-long tread life
-the truck is never used off road so I dont want the big tread on the tire edges
-A strong tire since we pull a heavy enclosed trailer

Consumer reports recommends Goodyear Fortera, Kelly Safari, and Hankook Dynapro (never heard of this brand)

Thanks for any input you can provide

mmacsek
01-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Gary,
Take this reply for what it's worth. I have a Ford F 250 2wd. I've had real good results with Cooper. I run all seasons on the front and dedicated snow/mud tires on the rear year round. The Goodyears are Workhorses. These are pricey but work well. I got around 45000 miles from them. The Coopers got around 35 to 40K before replacing. Both are quiet running tires. My tire size is LT235/85R16 and 10 ply. I also have a Ford F450 stakebodt with the same size. With that being said I had to replace tires on the pickup(all 4) and the front on the 450 and only used Coopers on the front of the pickup. I went to a private brand for the rest. The private brand are imported like so many "name brand". The front tires on the stakebody feel no different than the Coopers on the 250. The snow tires on the pickup are a little louder but not annoying. We will see how they wear. The snow tires were 100.00 out the door verses 150.00. The imports(front tires) were 90.00 verses 125.00. I hope this helped and didn't confuse you more. These trucks are dedicated work trucks. Matt

GarPA
01-05-2005, 07:53 AM
thanks much Matt...funny you should mention Cooper as that is where I'm leaning after doing some more research. From what I;ve been able to gather, they have a good reputation for suv/truck tires and their price is right. As you mentioned, the Goodyears are a little over the top on price.

LawnScapers of Dayton
01-05-2005, 08:04 AM
I don't know the load ratings but I have always had great luck with BF Goodrich ALL-Terrain TA's......and more recently Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos....40,000+ miles for each.....

Derek

lamarbur
01-05-2005, 08:55 AM
I agree with GarPa in the fact that some ties coming on new trucks, just don't hold up. I have a 01 Dodge with the HO cummins motor, and still not quite to 40K in mileage after 3 1/2 years,, this Dodge like the last one came with Michelins.. they were junk after 20K.. Couple weeks back I went with four new Cooper ATR's I think they're called. Awesome tire, quite, and great traction.. We'll see how these wear compared to those Michelins

Grassmechanic
01-05-2005, 11:02 AM
GarPa - I agree with Mmacsek about Coopers. I got over 70,000 miles out of them. The Discoverers were better than my Goodyear Wranglers, plus they were cheaper. Oh yeah, they were made in the USA (I think they still are). If you looking for a serious off-road tire, consider Interco Thornbirds (I use them on my CJ7).

sgoalie23
01-05-2005, 01:02 PM
I don't know the load ratings but I have always had great luck with BF Goodrich ALL-Terrain TA's......and more recently Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos....40,000+ miles for each.....

Derek

same here, great tires. Got mine at BJ's for 125 a piece installed!

leadarrows
01-05-2005, 01:24 PM
I got a set of 285/75R16 Copper Discoverer A/T in August 2004 I paid 154.53 each and so far they have been great tires. They did very well in that foot of snow we just had. They hold real well on the pavement. Nice quiet tires. And yes American made.

lwcmattlifter
01-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Ive got the same size Coopers on my F-250. I could not be happier with them, low road noise and even wear, even with Ford's TTB front axle and a Powerstroke. They have lasted as long as my last set of BFG's. I expect at least 40k from these tires.

Scag48
01-05-2005, 09:06 PM
I've been told that Michelin LTX M/S is a great highway/long life tire. I had been shopping for tires and was told that these were long lasting tires and great for a larger truck. I ended up getting the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's because of their more aggresive tread pattern as I do alot of snow travelling in the winter and off roading in the summer.

Lawnchoice
01-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Firestones on the Fords -
Michelins on the Audi/Land Rover

Never buy those " Good4ayear" tires ever again.

splatz100
01-05-2005, 10:31 PM
maxxis buckshots

I LOVE THE MUD!!

Gravel Rat
01-07-2005, 02:21 PM
I'am running LTX M/S Michelins for steers on my 89 450 so far I'am pleased with them at 200 dollars each they are definatly pricey. My last set of cheap no name brand I used for steers lasted 13,000kms (8000mi) not too good the Michelins seem to be standing up better.

For drive tires use bandag retreads work fine for what I do never had a problem with them and I get 2 years out of them. The tread cap is a little hard because its the same tread compound used for class 8 trucks so designed for long wear.

If I bought virgin tires like XPS Michelin Tractions I would be looking at 250 dollars each so 1000 dollars before taxes and enviromental levies. Run the bandags at 130-140 each almost 1/2 the price and longer lasting.

I'am thinking of trying BFG Commercial Traction T/A I'am hoping they will net me better offroad traction the Bandags don't selfclean very well in sticky mud they pack up like racing slicks. With the tread compound being so hard they will spin on wet pavement easy there is no siping in the tread.

The reason why I run retreads is the price plus the landfill is hard on tires the retreads are pretty much bullet proof when it comes to running the risk of a nail going through the tread.

For new tires you can't beat Michelins I used to feel they were not worth the high price but the M/S I'am running for steers so far have me convinced they are worth it.

Ohya Hankooks are good tires don't let anybody tell you they are not we use them here the Dynamic Z-36 is a common tire sold here the RF-04 is too.

i_plant_art
01-07-2005, 02:48 PM
ive tried them all and have found that the Michelin LTX M/S that i curerently have on the f350 PSD 4x4 are the best tires that i have found. they are load rande E (10 ply) and have held up amazingly. I love them so much and went out and got Michelin's put on my wife sport trak. I would recomend them to anyone, but they are prices @ 200 each.

UNISCAPER
01-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Regardless of brand, (I have no brand preference) we buy either E or preferrably F rated tires. Yes, they cost more, but, so long as you rotate as you should, it is pretty easy to get 40,000 miles out of a set. The reason for the heavier more thick ply is simple. Trailers and haul capacity. Even if you pull a light load, the extra thickness of the tires give you a little added protection . They ride rougher, but you are talking about a truck here, not some yuppified wussie ride that is meant for looks and not function.
On dual wheeled trucks, we catch them soon enough to recap and save hundreds of dollars, and the new methods used to vulcanize rubber are such that tread separation is rare.

White lettering, forget it....Just a waste of money, something to rub against curbs and mud while backing in at the dump. White letters will eventually degress to look like a drunken goat painted them with thier beard.

j.p.landscaping
01-07-2005, 03:35 PM
IMO, Michelin sucks. I have had nothing but bad luck with them. It seems like every vehicle I buy comes with them and after about 6 months or so they dry crack and rot out.

I run Cooper Discovers on my plow trucks and my wife's SUV and they are great ! Good wear and excellent traction especially in wet and snowy weather. I heard that the B.F. Goodrich's are a little "slick" in wet weather conditions. A dealer said it was because of the compound that there made of. Something about there is a lot of oil in the compound of the rubber.

Good luck anyhow...

J.Gordon
01-07-2005, 05:13 PM
I have a friend that got a little over 100,000 miles out of a set of Michelin 10 ply highway tread tires. This was on a 92 Dodge 3/4-ton 4-wd diesel. The pickup is driven on the highway about 99% of the time.
The only problem that I have with Michelinís is that the French owns them.
I am running Hankook 10 plyís on my F250 4-wd and have been very happy with their performance. I believe the key to the longevity to your tires is to rotate them frequently and keep your front end aligned. I used to run Kummoís and it seemed that the tread would separate on about every set I ever owned.

UNISCAPER
01-07-2005, 05:39 PM
If you own a Hummer, the vehicle will automatically rotate and cross rotate your tires while you are driving. :p

mmacsek
01-07-2005, 06:42 PM
I have priced rethreads in the past and they are very pricey. The bandags are more money than some new. Most places won't sell rethreads. They recommend new. The reasoning is the price difference is only about 10-15 dollars per tire. I would use them on the rear of my stakebody but the price difference doesn't justify it. As far as where the tire is made even USA brands are made across seas. I had Goodyears that were made in Venezuela. Other USA brands are made here and in China or South Africa. It's kinda like buying a Ford or Chevy and and its assembled somewhere else or has a German transmission or a Japanese diesel. I think no matter how hard we try to buy American it's a no win situation. We don't make the rules, we only play by them. Matt

Gravel Rat
01-07-2005, 07:58 PM
The bandags are around 130 dollars for Lt235/85R16s a cheap no name brand all season is the same price but the cheapy tire will probably only last 6 months. Like I said the LTX are 200 each the XPS Tractions are 250 each the BFG Commercial Traction are 170 each. Start getting into the 225/19.5s used on the newer F-450s and 550s your looking at 250 each for cheap up to 300 for better. The local lumber yard reshod their 550 with new rubber it was 2 grand Yikes payup plus the fact the tires are not stocked in the tire shops so they had to be ordered.

I never had a Bandag retread separate I tried Hawkinsons Tread retreads on another truck never had problems with them either.

The other good tire is the Toyo M-55 it comes in quite a few common sizes now and it a commercial light truck tire. They do howl abit but not too bad if you want a traction tire a person has to expect some howl.

shortgut
01-09-2005, 04:25 AM
the second set on tires I put on my f250 super duty for was the firestone steeltrex highway tread I got right at 35,000 out of the origanal so I went back they finally wore out with 86,000 miles on truck this time I went back with Bridgestone Dueler REVO'S LT 265/75/16 10 ply I now have 96500 miles on truck and they look like new still I did a lot of researching tire before I decided on which one to put on I liked the Michlin LTX but too high priced for me Bridgestone was a lot cheaper and had a mileage wear out warranty do not think LTX's did

D Felix
01-09-2005, 09:24 AM
I will second (or third, fourth?) the opinions of Coopers.... I was running Discoverer Radial LT's on my truck.

My experience was on my 1/2 ton though, not a lot of heavy loading, and only very limited trailer pulling... Very occasional off-road use, nothing was ever serious abuse to them. Just recently did I have to replace the tires, I found the original invoice for the Coopers. I got over 77,000 miles from that set of tires, and still had enough tread to go probably another 5-10k if I wanted to push it. The only problem was that on one of the tires, the tread was separating from the cords, and the cords were puncturing the air chamber.

Dan

GarPA
01-09-2005, 09:32 AM
thanks for the input guys...I've decided to go with the Coopers as they appear to be the best "value" (what I get for what I pay).

If I;m not mistaken the ones I;m looking at are 8 ply...I think but then I'm tire stupid so maybe theres only 4 ply and 10 ply..oh well at about $85 per tire these seem to be a good choice

Cracker
01-14-2005, 02:22 PM
I am gladd to see all of the positive responses about cooper tires. I just switched from Nitto tires to cooper , I run 305x70x16. The Nitto's are a much better looking tire but I could not get much tread life out of them.
I guess sometimes you have to sacrifice looks for practicality. :D

GarPA
01-14-2005, 03:06 PM
this might not make a diddly difference when it comes to tire quality, but Arnold Palmer has been Coopers spokesman for a number of years and based on what I know about him in following golf, he's known as an ethical and honest guy so if he puts his stamp on something, it can't hurt. Of course he's paid to endorse these, for what its worth.