PDA

View Full Version : if a client called right now....

bobbygedd
01-05-2005, 11:24 AM
i got a call from someone who had my add from the newspaper. they want a leaf cleanup. sorry, we are closed till march, no exceptions, i don't care how much they are willing to pay. for the guys that are in the same season as me, would you do the job now? after your season is over, everything packed away, and u r in hibernation mode?

J&R
01-05-2005, 11:41 AM
A full time LCO would do the work. Part timers some will some wont.

Kelly's Landscaping
01-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Hell no I have 6 or so of my own that I could of finished this past week no thank you I am done for the year.

rodfather
01-05-2005, 11:49 AM
Tell ya what bobby.

That job, not matter how small, is gonna be a freakin' mess. After all this rain, those leaves will be so matted you will need a farm tractor and york rake to get them to the curb (I don't care how many guys you got with rakes, Redmax 8000 BP's, tarps, you name it).

Secondly, it's going to take you twice (if not more) the time to do this job as opposed to "normal" conditions.

Thirdly, you will NOT be able to charge enough to be compensated for what you will go through.

I agree with Kelly...wait till the Spring Cleanup sessions begin. Period

AEW
01-05-2005, 12:02 PM
heck why not....charge them a little more....I am in this work for the money and winters in Tennessee get pretty boring at times. Might as well do something while I would otherwise be doing nothing. :p

Lux Lawn
01-05-2005, 12:08 PM
I don't think so as wet as the ground is it would be a muddy mess by the time you are done the leaves might be gone but it's still going to look messy with all the water and mud everywhere.

roscioli
01-05-2005, 12:12 PM
NO way- It might be difficult around here as we've gotten 3" of snow in the past 2 hours! :) But even without the snow, sorry, no can do.

bobbygedd
01-05-2005, 12:18 PM
NO way- It might be difficult around here as we've gotten 3" of snow in the past 2 hours! :) But even without the snow, sorry, no can do.
roscioli, that aint no irish name. i like it. i see you sold out in 2003. how cum? how long were u in business?

MacPhersonlawn
01-05-2005, 12:18 PM
My first reaction is -no way-, I have everything put away, its snowing out right now (Massachusetts) and more snow tomorrow. But thinking about it a little more, it's the middle of the day and I'm sitting here on the computer with nothing to do. I could use the money even if it means working in the snow. So, if I got a call like that I probably would do it.

rodfather
01-05-2005, 12:21 PM
roscioli, that aint no irish name.

Maybe Dutch? LOL

leadarrows
01-05-2005, 12:56 PM
This is an easy one for me because "Right Now" Indiana is getting hammered with rain and freezing rain. So no not right now. BUT if the weather conditions were corporative then yes of course I would do it. I'M in the service business ... I provide services for a profit. I like profit/money and theres never a bad day to make money.
But hey this is America that's what makes it great you do it your way and I do it my way. If they both work and we both make our business work then......

grshppr
01-05-2005, 01:02 PM
It all depends on the weather, and if I really feel like it. Usually we have snow on the ground in early December but this year we had none really until the end of the month. I had a bunch of calls early December, and these jobs didn't really require much for equipment, and I didn't really have to take anything out of winter storage, so we did them. It ended up being nice because since we didn't plow much snow this month, these extra jobs kept my guys and me a little busier, and kept me from watching "days of our lives" which I usually get hooked on every winter :rolleyes:

lawnguyland
01-05-2005, 01:19 PM
I may actually go out next week and clean a few leaves, but it will be at my convenience (supposed to be dry and in the 50's in tri state metro). My equipment is easy to access and it will be more money for me, plus since these are full service customers the spring clean-up will be easier, meaning more money in the spring.

Duramax99
01-05-2005, 02:11 PM
I have four guys on all winter that would love to tackle a clean -up. Work is work and I have to hit my numbers for the month. We will be talking on any new work that comes our way.

proenterprises
01-05-2005, 07:54 PM
no, i would say wait till march. reason being-the few days leading up till christmas, i had my helper and i try to finish one final area at my house which had not been cleaned up yet (figures our house to be last. lol). With a 10hp little wonder and a bp, piles wouldnt even budge, frozen to the ground in chunks, impossible. after 2 days we said screw it and just left them in 2 piles, will grab them in the spring.

fact is, that type of work is out of season, its just too damn hard to do now.

jajwrigh
01-05-2005, 09:49 PM
roscioli, that aint no irish name. i like it. i see you sold out in 2003. how cum? how long were u in business?

LOL...maybe I am the only who caught that....

STAN1366
01-05-2005, 10:14 PM
I'd do it. It's not going to be as easy as it might be in November, but we work to get paid and if they've got money to spend and I've got the time, why not? Of course, with the snow & rain we got today and thru tomorrow I'd have to wait a day or so.

TotalCareSolutions
01-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Im in Atlanta, GA. It's been in the 60's and I'm not returning calls. The rythymns gone baby...h i b e r n a t i o n

impactlandscaping
01-06-2005, 08:24 AM
First,...sounds like a spring cleanup to me...key word:spring...second, why would you have a "live" ad in the newspaper if you were not going to be active until March?? :D

drodgers
01-06-2005, 08:40 AM
I think I would proabably do it. I may wait until it gets a bit more dry. We have been in the 60s for several days around here, but just got a bit of rain the last two days. Just sprinkles and light rain though.

If it were to dry up in day or two I would take it on and charge more since I would have to get everything hooked up and going again for one job. If they didn't want to pay what I wanted then I would tell them to call me in the spring or find someone else that could help now.

bobbygedd
01-06-2005, 08:41 AM
First,...sounds like a spring cleanup to me...key word:spring...second, why would you have a "live" ad in the newspaper if you were not going to be active until March?? :D
this happens alot for some reason. i advertise in a weekly newspaper. the paper is free, so everyone gets it. i'll run adds in spring, then again in fall. some people seem to hand on to the papers for a long time, then call the add months after it isn't even being printed anymore

Ol'time Lawncare
01-06-2005, 11:14 AM
This Is all i do, so yes if the phone rings I'm there, but i charge accordingly

scaglawnsnj
01-06-2005, 12:53 PM
i took on one it took me almost two weeks wet leaves and cold suck..all my stuff is packed away too. so i did it the old fashion way rake bags..i am a sucker...for that but 400.00 payed my insurense for the month..i now know that the billy goat and leaf box is priceless .....i'll just close on dec next year no exceptions i pulled up with no trailer /equipment /work truck just a ford explorer rake 140bags :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

grass-scapes
01-06-2005, 08:33 PM
I'd probably do it. But remember... Its been in the low 70's here for over a week and today was the coldest.. it was freezing at around 63. LOL. They are calling for similar weather for most of the next two weeks. I think that warm front is hangin right there over the mason-dixon line.

Heck...Im seein grass growin and Im afraid some trees are gonna start budding. it won't be pretty after a nice deep freeze

scaglawnsnj
01-06-2005, 10:54 PM
i took on one it took me almost two weeks wet leaves and cold suck..all my stuff is packed away too. so i did it the old fashion way rake bags..i am a sucker...for that but 400.00 payed my insurense for the month..i now know that the billy goat and leaf box is priceless .....i'll just close on dec next year no exceptions i pulled up with no trailer /equipment /work truck just a ford explorer rake 140bags :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

my back still hurts ;)