PDA

View Full Version : once every 28 days

gaulk
01-05-2005, 02:38 PM
i have a commercial bid, and part of it requires about 5 acres worth 2 be cut every 28 days. gust wondering if anyone has done any thing like this, i feel that it has 2 be very hard on equipment and what would u use 2 cut it. the thought of using my 60 does not sound good , also what would it be worth .i know what i would charge if it was normal cut, but every 28 days not 2 sure or gust stay clear of this 1

Green-Pro
01-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Just my opinion but the idea of basically only cutting once a month would to me be a huge pita. That if no obstacles I would consider it for around the $425 - $450 mark. The wear and tear on equipment will be substantial, really should probably be cut at least every two weeks. 5 acres @ $45 per based on twice a month (even though its once a month) extra for the pita factor. Sounds like something I wouldn't want to mess a lot with if its only once a month because of the wear & tear factor mainly, so I guess what I'm saying is I would bid it a tad high and let them take it or leave it.

No I don't have practical experience yet, this is just my 2 cents.

:)

G-P

all degree
01-05-2005, 03:09 PM
You know what else comes every 28 days and that can cause a big problem too ;)

Green-Pro
01-05-2005, 03:17 PM
all degree You know what else comes every 28 days and that can cause a big problem too

LOL tell me about it I've got four daughters plus my wife, I will post pics of the shop I just signed contract to be built later on. Gonna have a bunk out there for my every 28 days!!

:dizzy:

G-P

cgland
01-05-2005, 04:18 PM
You couldn't pay me enough to mow anything on a 28 day rotation.
A) Way too hard on equipment
B) Takes way too much time (unless billing T&M)
C) People see your trucks mowing there and think "Man, that guy sucks!"
D) Can you imagine that in the SPRING!!!!

Just not worth it IMHO! :dizzy:

Chris

Smithers
01-05-2005, 04:34 PM
i thought that this thread was going to be about something else...and am a little dissapointed. lol

rodfather
01-05-2005, 04:40 PM
I have a job that we do once a month...a Christmas tree farm. I do it by myself with one of our Toro 325D 4-wheel drive Groundsmasters (72" outfront deck). Only reason I do it is because I get $125 an hour, it's flat, and I can get the deck easily under the branches (absolutely no trimming) as I drive by.

BTW, it's about 9 acres and no one can see me or my truck and trailer.

muddstopper
01-05-2005, 05:54 PM
I have a small field beside my house that I mow once a month. I start out as low as I can for the first cut and gradually raise my blades each month. I can catch back up to the growth in the summer months and then start raising the blades again when the weather cools off. I use single blades on a mulch deck and can cut it pretty fast. Its about an acre +/-. I fertilize in the fall and early spring to help control growth and apply lime in the summer months. Not exactly the way I would do my lawn but it works for the field. The higher grass also stripes pretty good to.

grass-scapes
01-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Spray a growth regulator on it, figuring it into your bid. That should make it equal to around every 15 days if you werent spraying. Never tried it, but it sounded good when I thought it. LOL

lawnwizards
01-05-2005, 06:03 PM
i'd say to offer them a discount to cut it every 2 weeks. you lose a little bit of money but you save your equipment.

GrassBustersLawn
01-05-2005, 08:36 PM
If it were near a busy road where you are going to get beer bottles and other trash, I'd pass on it. Too much chance of damaging equipment!

Mike

65hoss
01-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Bushhog???? This is perfect for that type of thing. 1 time per month cutting with a bushhog will give you almost a finished cut and easy on equipment. Find someone with a tractor and get them to price it for you.

j fisher
01-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Good point. If you do bid on it, I would double the normal price, because you are going to be double cutting. Maybe even triple cutting depending on the type of grass.

CUTTING EDGE 03
01-05-2005, 09:21 PM
My own yard is 5 acres, flat with a few trees. If I only cut my yard every 28 days I would be cutting grass at least a foot tall. I dont care what kind of mower you have that would be absolutely no fun. Solution, cut no less than twice a month, or get a brush hog. If I only did it twice a month I would certainly charge a premium.

My real suggestion is run Ken run

gaulk
01-06-2005, 08:10 PM
thanks 2 all my gut is telling me 2 pass on this my luck it will destroy my equipment for what , a stinking 28 day cut

lawncare4u
01-06-2005, 09:53 PM
I would figure on what I would charge for every 2 weeks x 2 then add an additional 10% to 15% surcharge for additional fuel concumption and equiptment wear...............tell em take it or leave it!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

scaglawnsnj
01-06-2005, 10:49 PM
i have a commercial bid, and part of it requires about 5 acres worth 2 be cut every 28 days. gust wondering if anyone has done any thing like this, i feel that it has 2 be very hard on equipment and what would u use 2 cut it. the thought of using my 60 does not sound good , also what would it be worth .i know what i would charge if it was normal cut, but every 28 days not 2 sure or gust stay clear of this 1

mow it for 300 and dont bag thats a huge lawn i would turn it down

afftandem
01-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Youre Better Off Buying An Atv And A Rough Cut Drag Behind... Thats What Theyre For... If You Think Youll Have The Lawn For A Few Seasons, It May Be Worth It.. That, And You Now Have An Atv For Fun Also.

afftandem
01-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Better Yet, Bail It For Hay And Unload It To Farmers

Mico Landscaping design
01-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Actually we have one that we cut every 60 day's,. last year we use to use the exmark rider's til they changed to every 60 day's.. thats when we pull out of BRUSH hog does it's job... got the right equipent can get the right jobs!

afftandem
01-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Charge $150, Throw A Goat On It.. Collect Goat Droppings On Rainy Off Days, Add Too Mulch Pile: Sale Best Fertilizer In Town.

crawdad
01-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Actually we have one that we cut every 60 day's,. last year we use to use the exmark rider's til they changed to every 60 day's.. thats when we pull out of BRUSH hog does it's job... got the right equipent can get the right jobs!

See, if you put up with "once a month" cuts, they'll cheap you down to every other month. I hope you're paid well for bush-hogging it.
Crawdad

QualityLawnCare4u
01-29-2005, 05:50 PM
Gaulk, I had a 2.5 acre lot I done 2 years ago every 28 days. It was bahai grass and it was rough on the mower big time. I will not take any yards now less than eow, no exceptions. It is not good on your equipment even if you double charge.

lawncare4u
01-29-2005, 05:55 PM

I would figure on what the charge would be on a normal cut_say enery 10 days x 3 give them that price for every 28 days then I would cut it more often than the 28 days or give him a higher price for 28 days and tell him you can cut cheaper 10 days to 2 weeks and it will look better,word it right and you will fall right in there :waving: :waving:

pottstim
01-29-2005, 06:39 PM
You know what else comes every 28 days and that can cause a big problem too ;)

Amen! The girl that I date has huge hormonal shifts during her "Time" it is unreal. One moment she is fine, 5 minutes later she is about in tears. And the whining.... :dizzy: Glad I was born a male.

QualityLawnCare4u
01-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Amen! The girl that I date has huge hormonal shifts during her "Time" it is unreal. One moment she is fine, 5 minutes later she is about in tears. And the whining.... :dizzy: Glad I was born a male.

Pottstim, you think its bad now. Wait until you are married and your wife has the first child and you find out about post pardum depression. You will learn a whole new meaning for "coming face to face with your worst nightmare" :dizzy:

sildoc
01-29-2005, 09:02 PM
I put in a dept of transportation bid for highway and freeway mowing. I have a bud that has the tractor with the extend-able trimmer to do the high angle stuff.

How ever to the point of mowing. It was a every 20 days from March 1st till May 31st then every every 60 days till December.

I figured on buying 2 72" ztrs(no specific brand at time of bid) and both of us mow balls out.
I figured it this way because of the higher ground speed of the ztr. This is medians that are not very lush mainly just high clumps.
We bid roughly 38 miles which in acres comes out to 215 acres. Time wise we figured on 28 hours. Our bid price was 3500 each time total of 8 cuts a year.
28000 for the year. We missed the bid by 3000 for the year.
Our rough estimate for our costs were 5700. for the year.
As for the 5 acres once every 28 I would not do it for less than 450.00 and should only take you 6-9 hours pending size of mower and growth.
What I have found for people that just want it cut once in a while is that it is clumpy but mostly thin. You can usually make good money bushin.
I have an old honda 48" hydro that I bought for 800 bucks 3 years ago. It cuts like crap but it makes for a very good brush hog. raise it to 4-5" and blast through. I have made more off that mower than my good one, although it calls for more money for tearing up the equipment. When it breaks I will find another used beater and run it to the ground.

YardPro
01-30-2005, 06:35 PM
Spray a growth regulator on it, figuring it into your bid. That should make it equal to around every 15 days if you werent spraying. Never tried it, but it sounded good when I thought it. LOL

that's a huge expense, i would think
figure $500.00 for the chemical,
another few hundred for the application.
and it only lasts 2 months?????????????

plateau lawn care
01-30-2005, 08:04 PM
Give the same bid but tell them you will cut every 2 weeks at the same price