PDA

View Full Version : Danger Hanging Door Hangers?

rodfather
01-05-2005, 06:14 PM
The last couple of weeks there have been some great threads, responses, and pictures of Door Hangers. Now, I have never once tried using them, but I do have a couple of questions that have been in the back of my mind concerning them I would like answered if possible.

Do you guys ever get scared that some big a** dog will come running around the side of the house and come after ya...and now, what do you do? Or has anyone (the owner maybe) come out as your leaving the door hanger and screamed at you for being on their property...and now, what do you say?

Would appreciate your replies. Thanks...

geogunn
01-05-2005, 06:26 PM
ROD--or in the case of BOBBY WEASEL, the homeowner will think it is a hairy mullet wearing dog leaving the door hangers.

GEO :eek:

Precision
01-05-2005, 08:34 PM
If you are worried about that get one of those mini cans of pepper spray that women keep on their keychains. that will slow down just about any dog so long as you hit him in the face.

Creative Lawn Care
01-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Rod I have never done the door hangers, always just fliers, but I wonder about the same things you ask. Going up on a strangers porch almost seems like an invasion of thier privacy, not too mention dagerous if that dog beats you back to the truck.

Also why does that back pack guy try to make every single post have to do with Bobby???

tx_angler
01-05-2005, 09:11 PM
The last couple of weeks there have been some great threads, responses, and pictures of Door Hangers. Now, I have never once tried using them, but I do have a couple of questions that have been in the back of my mind concerning them I would like answered if possible.

Do you guys ever get scared that some big a** dog will come running around the side of the house and come after ya...and now, what do you do? Or has anyone (the owner maybe) come out as your leaving the door hanger and screamed at you for being on their property...and now, what do you say?

Yup, I've unexpectedly met Cujo a few times but fortunately for me I'm not afraid of dogs. Generally, if you avoid looking any threating animal straight in the eyes you can diffuse the situation. Do not run and definitely do not turn your back on them. I see folks all the time out for a walk carrying a stick or broom handle and I'm sure they carry it for the dogs.

I've met the property owner on several occasions and actually did a few estimates on the spot. Most folks are friendly and if I sense they are concerned I always leave my business card with them. Even if they tell me they do their own lawn I'll tell them to call if they are going on vacation or the mower is in the shop.

rodfather
01-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Rod I have never done the door hangers, always just fliers, but I wonder about the same things you ask. Also why does that back pack guy try to make every single post have to do with Bobby???

Dunno why John and Bobby go at it like they do...both I am afraid can be quite arguementative at times.

LB Landscaping
01-05-2005, 11:13 PM
I'm with TX, most people will be decent to you. I have never run into anyone that was pissed. So far no problems with pups for me.

fairwayCuts
01-06-2005, 12:49 AM
I did a lot of door hangers last season and didn't really run into too many problems. With my door hangers, I put a couple of coupons with it. So if I run into a homeowner, I just let them know what I'm about and let them know that with the door hanger the can get some good coupons too. Nobody was ever really angry. Although I did not get a real good response as far as new customers with them.

stuie
01-06-2005, 01:50 AM
I did a lot of door hangers last season and didn't really run into too many problems. With my door hangers, I put a couple of coupons with it. So if I run into a homeowner, I just let them know what I'm about and let them know that with the door hanger the can get some good coupons too. Nobody was ever really angry. Although I did not get a real good response as far as new customers with them.

What sort of coupons do you use?Are you offering free cuts ,discounts etc
THANKS
STUART

sildoc
01-06-2005, 04:04 PM
In our area dogs are not allowed to run free. All dogs are kept confined in at least a 4' fence. Most dogs are kept in the back yard. Now however there are some that have the entire yard fenced with a 36" gate and i leave the flyer on the gate instead of on the door.
Never had a problem with homeowners. They tell me they do it themselves all the time. I hand them a business card as above and say if you go on vacation or get tired of doing it, give me a call.

Lux Lawn
01-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Never really had any dogs chase me but when they are behind a fence and you don't see them and they start barking real loud not knowing where its coming from is enough.

scaglawnsnj
01-06-2005, 04:20 PM

lets see if the dog came runnin that means im runnin
if some ***** comes yellin
id say hello miss
i am gmj a local landscape buisness ower in seach of new clients
would you be interested in any services gmj
sorry to cause disconfert of personal space
i did not mean to disrepect your property
thank you gmj is here to serve you

richard coffman
01-06-2005, 05:13 PM
never really had any problems with door hangers, get some calls, but watch out for other lawn care companys descising them selves as customers wanting a estimate over the phone, oldest trick in the book, let them know you'll be right out to do that estimate for them. in most cases solves the problem. :cool:

Critical Care
01-06-2005, 05:33 PM
The only door hangers I leave are post service reports, but I have thought about advertising this way. The benefits could be that you build up clients within a small area, and so travel time, distance, and expense is cut down. I'm however a bit like some of you when it comes to going door to door for work.

And I suppose that if I were going door to door and saw a house with a giant four legged pit bull with AIDS sitting on the front door step, I'd probably just walk on by. Besides, you can well imagine that the dog would leave his calling cards for anyone mowing the yard.

lawncutr
01-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Maybe he needs his own pitbull for protection...or maybe a Mastiff...anybody run into a yard which has a few of those....sissy dogs but big as a damn calf...and the mess is really nice when your riding mower hits it and sprays it all onto the porch, lawn furniture and sliding glass windows...just try not to go against the wind because you WILL get a mouthful.

rodfather
01-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Maybe he needs his own pitbull for protection...or maybe a Mastiff...anybody run into a yard which has a few of those....sissy dogs but big as a damn calf...and the mess is really nice when your riding mower hits it and sprays it all onto the porch, lawn furniture and sliding glass windows...just try not to go against the wind because you WILL get a mouthful.

I actually owned an Old English Mastiff for many years. Believe it or not, he weighed 211 pounds. And you really had to be careful mowing...swear what he left would stall my push mower...lol

DUSTYCEDAR
01-06-2005, 06:15 PM
big dogs leave big logs :help:

lawncutr
01-06-2005, 06:18 PM
I had a yard with three of them when I was 12...my Lawnboy mower didn't like it one bit....and I couldn't figure out why all the girls stayed away from me...it was all the crap on my shoes!

Critical Care
01-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Unfortunately, my Walker does a good job at bagging everything. Don't you love the people who think that it's your job to collect all of this... this... you know what.

lawncutr
01-06-2005, 06:31 PM
We have a guy in the city that has an entire business just picking it up....not me....I just tell them that I am not allowed by law....because it is an environmental hazard and must be disposed of at the hazardous waste dump....can you spell "surcharge"?

Gene $immons
01-06-2005, 06:38 PM
I have done tens of thousands of flyers and have not had a problem with a dog yet, Knock on wood. Mace may be a good idea though. I get a lot of dogs that live inside going nuts though.

I had one lady call us and cite a city code stating to not put a flyer on her door. She wanted us to come and remove it. Yeah right.

I would rather not see the homeowner when doing flyers, I always make it obvious what I am doing, as to not startle anyone.

Doster's L & L
01-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Yup, I've unexpectedly met Cujo a few times but fortunately for me I'm not afraid of dogs. Generally, if you avoid looking any threating animal straight in the eyes you can diffuse the situation. Do not run and definitely do not turn your back on them.

This is true! I was measuring a lawn last year that had neighbors with a damn raging mad pit bull in there. I mean he was going nuts to get to where i was, but i wasnt worried becuse there was a nice, sturdy (so i thought) chain link fence between he and i. Well, i was measuring the back part of the lawn where cujo was anticipating my arrival to the opposite side of the fence. So when i got there, i marked that measurement down on my pad and took off in the opposite direction of him. Id walked about 20' and sure as $H!T, that damn beast was on the same side of the fence as ME!! I didnt run from him, cuz one way or another i was gonna have to fight the bastard thing. When i turned to face him, he got all confused and kinda stood there like a deer in headlights for a moment, came to himself and ran off. I tell ya though, my little measuring wheel wouldnt slow him down much, but i was prepared to use it!

coastallandscapesolutions
01-06-2005, 08:02 PM
ROD--or in the case of BOBBY WEASEL, the homeowner will think it is a hairy mullet wearing dog leaving the door hangers.

GEO :eek:

Don't forget the shovel in his holster.....

fairwayCuts
01-07-2005, 12:52 AM
On the bottom of the flyers I has two different coupons. One was a free mow with any weekly referral and the other was $10 off your first mow with a weekly appointment. I handed out about 4 or 5 hundred. Believe or not I think I only got 1 or 2 call backs. I was pretty disappointed with the turnout, but I think I'll still do it again this year. Maby I'll try and target the customer a little better.?