PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on trailer size...Please Help!!!

Kaskov
01-06-2005, 12:11 AM
I'm just starting out my business and I'm in the market for buying a trailer. My choices are a 6' x 10' or a 5' x 10' (both enclosed). I was going to get the bigger one but their prices just hiked up for the new year. I currently have a 32" Scag, a 21" lawnboy, 2 echo weedwackers and 1 echo blower plus all the rakes shovels etc..
I'm only looking to do about 35-40 houses tops, so I'm wondering if just getting the 5x10 is a foolish move just because it's $200 cheaper? In the future I might have to add another 32" mower in the trailer with the other equipment I just listed, so what would you guys do?

PLM-1
01-06-2005, 12:14 AM
i have a 5x10 for sale now (open trailer tho)..it sucks. The biggest trailer you can afford is best advice. I would go with the 6 x10. I have a 7x18 now and wish it were bigger. I have found that what ever you have you wish it were bigger.

Wells
01-06-2005, 01:21 AM
For only $200 more it is really a no brainer...... get the larger trailer. If you go with the smaller trailer now you might save a few hundred but down the road you'll kick yourself for not getting a bigger trailer when you had the chance.

If you know you will have more mowers and equipment in the future then chances are you will need the extra room. (2-32" mowers 1-21" mower, weedwackers, blower, shovels and tools) Your going to be packed trying to fit all of that equipment into a 5'x10' trailer.

It would be alot less expensive to go larger now then it will be later.

Kaskov
01-06-2005, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the advice, looks like I'm getting the bigger one!

PMLAWN
01-06-2005, 04:46 AM
Go bigger. An open trailer has the racks out side the trailer "on" the wall so they are easy to get to where a cloesd one has everything inside. With stuff on both walls you will loss about 10 inches on each side which will leave you only a little more than 3 feet in the middle. You will lose time working out of that trailer and hate it. If you can not spring for the bigger one now, get an open one and buy the enclosed one a few months into the season when you have money coming in.
My enclosed trailers are 8' wide and I still want more room. My first one was a 7' wide one and I had a lot of trouble with hitting my back while moving around in it.

Kaskov
01-06-2005, 05:06 AM
PM Lawn do you how the wiring works to get power to the trailer from my truck? Do I have to run wires all the way to the front by the engine, or can I wire it from the rear?

PLM-1
01-06-2005, 05:27 AM
it depends on what you are trying to wire. depending on your truck you may be able to run a wire from your aux. of your trailer light plug but you may over draw that connection so you would have to run it off the battery.

lawncare4u
01-06-2005, 08:08 AM
PM Lawn do you how the wiring works to get power to the trailer from my truck? Do I have to run wires all the way to the front by the engine, or can I wire it from the rear?

Check with an Auto parts store,I purchased a adapter kit that all my rear wires pluged into,then I only had to run the aux wire to the front....sure beats doing all that cutting and spliceing!

TURF DOCTOR
01-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Buy a 6x12 at first

drodgers
01-06-2005, 09:21 AM
I would go for the bigger trailer. When I started I bought a 5x13 open trailer. That was good for the 48" mowers I was using. I upgraded to a 54" Z and it was kind of a tight squeeze because I only had 3 inches on either side to get the mower on. I couldn't get the mower on the trailer with the bagger unit attached.

I then upgraded to a 60" deck and found it wouldn't even fit on the 5x13 trailer. So I bought a 6x12 and am much happier. So if I were you I would buy the bigger one. You may not need the room now but you will probably appreciate the extra space in the long run.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-06-2005, 09:40 AM
I would spend the 200 extra and get the 6 footer, as stated it will give you more room to walk in the trailer. Im with turf doctor, why not go with a 12 foot trailer, If you decide to ever get a larger walk behind to go with the smaller you have now it will be very tight if it fits. I use a scag tiger cub and a toro proline 52 and that fills a 12 foot up with maybe 3 inches to spare, just a thought

PMLAWN
01-06-2005, 12:02 PM
A lot of the wiring depends on the truck. Most new trucks (late 90's+) have a plug at the back that will work. If you do not have the trailer package you should still have the wires run to the back and tied up to the frame. The wire harness is set the same on all trucks. All they do is put the plug on if you get the package.
A RV store would be the best bet for getting what you need. They will also carry the break controller and be able to tell you how to hook up. Even if you have nothing on your truck you should be able to get a harness that will plug right into your tailights (like a T). It you have Yellow turn lights that are serperate from your break lights than you will need a switch box to get the stop/tail to the same bulb on the trailer. Again no big deal. Most any auto parts, RV place, trailer place, or even U-haul (last choice) will know what you need.
If your trailer has a 4 flat plug and your truck has a 7 round they make adaptors for that. Hope this helps.