PDA

View Full Version : I find it funny!

saw man
01-06-2005, 01:58 AM
I find it funny that you all ask the questions that you do! Everyone here is in a different location, wether the lawns are the size of a lawn chair or 1 acre+!

People seem to get down on others for using only a 21" mower or for going to big, for charging less or to much!

I never hear that it depends on the area that you live in! I have done lawncare in different towns and states and none of which I can charge the same! You have to adjust to the market!!

Some lawns were the size of lawn chairs, some are in the "rich" part of town or vice versus. I had to adjust my prices in certain areas to get business. I would be on one side of the town one day, the other the next. I would be in a comunity for 2 days, be somewhere else the next.

Some of you want information about what to buy or how to handle business but it is not all the same! I have been paid up to $80k a year to JUST mow lawns that were tiny and would take a crew of 3 to do in less than a days work. I cant get that everywhere.
I know guys that have lowballed for 1 reason ~ because they get 10 people on the same street and never have to move their truck. But it reminds me of other businesses, they all say it gets them in and they will stick with the service ~ not with the cheapy, but with a better company!

So give more info. on what your area is like, dont talk bad about others purchases unless you know their business and try to be understanding and give advice on THEIR situation not yours!

thanks

discuss

the scaper
01-06-2005, 03:03 AM
Well , If you have'nt heard the words "it depends on your area" then you havnt read enough lawnsite threads. Myself, I'm constantly reminded of the differance in location when I hear others on this board talking about $35 lawns, scrubs, lowballers, and looking for winter work. None of those things are an issue here. Lawns are $40-$45 & up , scrubs are on every other street and lowballers are.... stupid. The season here is 10 mo's of the year so if your starving in the winter then you might want to reconsider your ability (responcibility) to ..umm, prepare. As for equipment, I've alway been of the opinion that due to climate, terrain, and personal technique, ... to each his own!! May the best man (men) win!!! :waving: Atlanta Ga

richard coffman
01-06-2005, 03:14 AM
I find it funny that you all ask the questions that you do! Everyone here is in a different location, wether the lawns are the size of a lawn chair or 1 acre+!

People seem to get down on others for using only a 21" mower or for going to big, for charging less or to much!

I never hear that it depends on the area that you live in! I have done lawncare in different towns and states and none of which I can charge the same! You have to adjust to the market!!

Some lawns were the size of lawn chairs, some are in the "rich" part of town or vice versus. I had to adjust my prices in certain areas to get business. I would be on one side of the town one day, the other the next. I would be in a comunity for 2 days, be somewhere else the next.

Some of you want information about what to buy or how to handle business but it is not all the same! I have been paid up to $80k a year to JUST mow lawns that were tiny and would take a crew of 3 to do in less than a days work. I cant get that everywhere.
I know guys that have lowballed for 1 reason ~ because they get 10 people on the same street and never have to move their truck. But it reminds me of other businesses, they all say it gets them in and they will stick with the service ~ not with the cheapy, but with a better company!

So give more info. on what your area is like, dont talk bad about others purchases unless you know their business and try to be understanding and give advice on THEIR situation not yours!

thanks

discuss

it's good to finally see someone else here from utah.. where you located?? I'm here in West Jordan, about 15 minutes south of salt lake city. pm me with your info. :D :D :D

Richard Martin
01-06-2005, 04:54 AM
I do agree that regionality (is that a word?) does play a role but only to a certain extent especially when factoring costs and cost of living.

I've spent a lot of time comparing what it costs to live where I am to what it costs to live where I bought property in North Carolina.

Comparable housing is more expensive where I live. About 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 times the price. But that is about where the difference stops. New cars cost the same as do mowers. Gas is about a dime cheaper in NC, big deal. Property taxes are charged at a higher rate in NC and you don't even get nearly the same level of services as I do where I currently live. The sales tax is 2% higher in NC and they charge a personal property tax. Insurance, telephones, cell phones, groceries and all of the rest of normal household expenses are about the same. Labor is far, far cheaper in NC outside of the metro areas which is where they need to make money the most.

The cost of most items is going to be relatively stable no matter where you go in the United States.

As far as differences in mowing and landscaping conditions go there are big differences. There are a few people who point this out but for the most part everybody thinks that the way it is where they live is the way it is where everybody lives.

geogunn
01-06-2005, 10:48 AM
saw man--you don't seem to believe there are some univeral truths in this industry.

for example: I might have trouble turning a 60" mower on a lawn chair sized lawn.

and I would bet that you would as well. so my advice to you not to get a 60" would be good advice even though I know very little about your operation.

BTW--how much bigger is a lawn chair sized lawn than a postage stamp sized lawn? :confused:

GEO :)

Tn Lawn Man
01-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Richard

Speaking of "regionality", I have heard from many friends that it is lawncare/landscape is very very competative in the Utah area. Is that true?

MMLawn
01-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Property taxes are charged at a higher rate in NC and you don't even get nearly the same level of services as I do where I currently live. The sales tax is 2% higher in NC and they charge a personal property tax.

That's absolutely incorrect. NC did away with the "Personal Property Tax" 15 or more years ago. The only things that personal property owners pay taxes on are Real Property as you stated in the first line, Real estate and all titled/registered vehicles and nothing else.

Turf Technologies
01-06-2005, 02:58 PM
I can never understand why other lawn companies have to check everyone out and see what they drive and what mowers, trimmers etc they use when driving by? WHats the big deal? I agree with you saw man everyones situation is diffrent, maybe they like those trimmers. Why cant we be happy with what we ahve and stop comparing the next guy that passes us?

Richard Martin
01-06-2005, 03:12 PM
That's absolutely incorrect. NC did away with the "Personal Property Tax" 15 or more years ago. The only things that personal property owners pay taxes on are Real Property as you stated in the first line, Real estate and all titled/registered vehicles and nothing else.

I just received from Pitt County my declaration of personal property.They send it to every property owner. Since I do not live there I don't owe for anything. The PPT law covers:

==========================================================
Individual Personal Property
In accordance with North Carolina law, all taxpayers are required to list the following personal property each year:

* Mobile Homes
* Boats, Boat Motors, Jet Skis, etc.
* Aircraft including Hot Air Balloons and Gliders
* Unlicensed Vehicles - Includes automobiles, trucks, trailers and motorcycles that are not currently licensed.

North Carolina General Statutes require all individuals owning personal property on January 1 that is subject to taxation, list that property during the listing period which is January 1 through January 31. All listing received after the listing period will be subject to a ten percent (10%) penalty.

If you listed personal property last year and have an active account, a Listing Form will be automatically mailed to you. If you do not receive a listing form it is your responsibility to obtain a listing form by contacting the Tax Assessor's Office during regular office hours.
==========================================================

I'm not sure why you don't have to pay PPT on any of the above items but it is law. You may read the above text at this website

http://www.co.pitt.nc.us/depts/taxassessor/

Richard Martin
01-06-2005, 03:22 PM
BTW, a personal property tax on an automobile is still a personal property tax. We don't have any personal property tax in Maryland.

richard coffman
01-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Richard

Speaking of "regionality", I have heard from many friends that it is lawncare/landscape is very very competative in the Utah area. Is that true?

it's true.