PDA

View Full Version : how much to charge for mowing and edging weed eating a 1 acre yard

seric
01-06-2005, 02:40 AM
I need some help coming up with a price for mowing a one acre yard, with edging, weed eating. By an hourly calculation for two people and also by square footage. We tried the dollar a minute price and only came up with 45.oo that seems very low to me.

TClawn
01-06-2005, 03:03 AM
I go by 10,000 sqft blocks. I charge $25 + 30 percent profit and sales tax. for our purposes, I will exclude sales tax.

10,000 sqft goes in to an acre about 4.35 times = $108.75 you then add your profit. 30 percent in my case. so... 108.75*.30 = $32.62. add that to your original price and and you get $141.37 plus whatever sales tax is in your area.

this is how I would charge in my area. the "going rate" in your area may be different.

PLM-1
01-06-2005, 03:20 AM
I would charge about $130. An acre really isn't that big...but walking around it with a trimmer takes time.

Patrick.B
01-07-2005, 05:42 PM
well ....its all depend what kind equipments you have to cut this yard and how much time it will take you ,,,,normal a big yard like that i charge a dollor a min and depend how much weedeater you have to do ,,,one hours weedeateing i normal charge $35 an hour or some poeple would charge $25 an hour if it more then three hours ,,,,.if you charge your first timer 130 buck and after you got it all clean ,,,tell them you will charge them $80 the next time so you can keep that customer ,,,,,

SOMM
01-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Friend, remember that any obstacles and steep grades that need to be dealt with are all "degree-of-difficulty" issues which would also need to be additionally charged for.

gogetter
01-09-2005, 08:05 AM
We tried the dollar a minute price and only came up with 45.oo that seems very low to me.

So was the 45 minutes for one or two people? If it was 2 people, your minutes would be 90, not 45.

Grass Gator
01-09-2005, 10:47 AM
TCLawn -

I like your formula.....but lets say you have a 10 acre lot instead of 1 acre. Using your formula it looks like you would be around $1,413.75 per mow. Is that correct or do you adjust your formula down once properties get above a certain point.

Currently I take sq footage time a base rate of .003. Using that 1 acre (43,560 ft) would run $130.68. That said I am bidding on some lots that are about 5 acres and I just think $653.40 per week to mow it sounds high.....although I'd love to get it!

Patrick.B
01-09-2005, 11:25 AM
That what he wanted a bid for an 1 acre ..i normal charge a min when i do 1 or 2 acres ..when i have more then 3 an over ..i normal charge by the hour and depend how much weedeater there to do ,,,i cut at a nursing home They have almost 7 acres and little weedeater in the front..i charge them $325 everytime i go ..i think that a fair price and it take me 4 hours to do the job .,.there so many ways Lawn service can charge and some time we charge too much and not enough....i always figures how long it should take me to do the job ,,hope it anwser your queston ,,,

Gautreaux's LNG
01-09-2005, 11:59 AM
One time visit = $125.00

Signs a contract = $80.00 / visit , which works out to about $265.00 / month

hockeygoalie
01-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Most of my cuts are an acre or so. I would agree with Gautreaux, 125/80 seems reasonable to me. I do use a 6' ZTR on that type of job. This is assuming a flat lot with minimal obstacles.

KathysLGC
01-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Are you guys for real? Here in my part of CT a 1 acre yard cut/trimmed/blown will go for $60-$70 and thats from a pro. A cut throat illegal will do it for $25-$30. Yes thats what we deal with around here.

hockeygoalie
01-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Sorry Playboy,
CT is a depressed state. There is alot of growth here. Tons of money flowing in. People pay for day care for thier pets- so they wont be lonely when they are gone at work.

KathysLGC
01-10-2005, 03:18 PM
WoW doggie day care?
The cut throats are always out here in full force. I was dropped once cause a customer thought i was too high. Gave me the ole i was just offer this, can you match it? I said nope and it was nice doing business with you. I was charging $90 for a 2 acre lot. Mind you this was two years ago when I didn't know how to price. I was glad he dumped me and vowed to never (knowingly) under bid a job that low.

JDavisTexas
01-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Are you guys for real? Here in my part of CT a 1 acre yard cut/trimmed/blown will go for $60-$70 and thats from a pro. A cut throat illegal will do it for $25-$30. Yes thats what we deal with around here.Playboy,
I'm with you. $60.00 per acre is considered fair. I would adjust it if there were alot of extra trimming. Then I'm sure that someone else would come along and offer to do it for $50.00.

KathysLGC
01-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Seems we need to move..... or go scrub hunting :gunsfirin

ff279
01-11-2005, 11:59 AM
WOW!! from What I've Here in Ny they charge $35.00 a lawn It's Crazy and I dont know what to do !!!!
Thanks, Ryan

KathysLGC
01-11-2005, 12:06 PM
$35. for 1 Acre? Are you sure it's 1 Acre?

ff279
01-11-2005, 12:10 PM
YES! It's crazy if I give an estimte sheet whit a pricing range of $80-110.00 I get turned down for company XYZ!!! What is a person gonna do who's trying to make a Living??

KathysLGC
01-11-2005, 02:50 PM
I hear ya. The sad part is out here home owners are fairly satisfied with the work they get for $30. I only lowered my performance once and that was so a friend of the family would drop me. Guess what? He didn't.. He was one of my first customers and i was charging him $45 for a $60 yard.

ff279
01-11-2005, 03:12 PM
So Playboy, if you dont mind me asking what are your prices right now, and are you making enough money??

Ryan

TClawn
01-11-2005, 03:42 PM
TCLawn -

I like your formula.....but lets say you have a 10 acre lot instead of 1 acre. Using your formula it looks like you would be around $1,413.75 per mow. Is that correct or do you adjust your formula down once properties get above a certain point.

Currently I take sq footage time a base rate of .003. Using that 1 acre (43,560 ft) would run $130.68. That said I am bidding on some lots that are about 5 acres and I just think $653.40 per week to mow it sounds high.....although I'd love to get it!

I never thought about properties larger than one acre mainly because their aren't properties here larger than that.

I thought about it a while and adding $40 dollars for every acre after that seems fair. so here's my calculations for a 1 acre to 6 acre prop.

ok, we take our original price with out profit for for one acre, which is $108.75 we add $40 for each acre after that, so, 1 acre = 108.75 plus profit, 2 acres = 148.75, 3 acres = 188.75 plus profit. and so on.

here's what I would charge for a 6 acre property: $308.75 + 30 percent profit = $401.37 + the hawaii general excise tax which = .04166. so 401.37*0.4166=16.72 add that to our price with profit which = $418.09

you also have to realize that the cost of living in hawaii is much higher than other places on the mainland. so we have to charge more to make a living wage. again, the area you live in really sets the going price of lawn service.

KathysLGC
01-11-2005, 03:42 PM
I got out two years ago but will be getting back in "legit" this season. I will be part time till i can go full time. It will be tuff to get what I wan't but i will not lower my work or prices to get a customer and if they don't like my prices i will tell them to keep my # in case they change there mind. I'm going into this serious this year. i have a price sheet at home i've been working on so i will have set prices for everything but might adjust as I see fit, for example if the place has a lot of flower beds to be trimmed, I might go up in price, or if the customer wants mulch and I have to carry it in by wheel-barrow 1 acre away from the driveway (yes i've been there) I might charge a bit more.

Two tears ago I dropped my prices left and right (borderline to being a scrub) then suffered by not making any money and in some cases losing money. This site has been my education and i will not knowingly make the same mistakes this year.

TClawn
01-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Are you guys for real? Here in my part of CT a 1 acre yard cut/trimmed/blown will go for $60-$70 and thats from a pro. A cut throat illegal will do it for $25-$30. Yes thats what we deal with around here.

how do you make a living $60-$70 an acre? either the cost of living is very low or you have to have to get each lawn done in an hour. :dizzy:

KathysLGC
01-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Yup! This is why this year I will try to target smaller yards. It seems around here people with smaller yards figure if there going to have a small yard it should at least look good and spend the money. I want the 10000-15000ft yards where I can charge $30-$45. That will bring me close to the figures you guys are getting for 1 acre...

TClawn
01-11-2005, 05:39 PM
I have found that to be the best route to take so far. it would probably be a good idea to have 3 or 4 commercial props too. even if they don't make you as much money per sqft as 10,000 sqft lots it will give you a little more security.

BobbyKnight
01-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Wow! Some of these estimates I see are unbelievable. I own 8 acres, 4 of it I mow. If someone came to me and told me 200, 300, or 400 dollars, I would have to say you are nuts. Before we know it, people are going to have to start paying for their lawn care like they do for going to the doctor. Maybe some companies/corporations will start offering it as part of their fringe benefits. At least some of you sound like you have an idea while others are just down right trying to screw people out of their money. I'm not a business owner, but I do maintain 10-20 lawns each year; and yes I do report what I make to the IRS. I'm not trying to screw anyone out of anything. If all you do is mow and trim and these are the prices, all I can say is WOW! For those of you who own your own business, I'll admit I don't know all of your expenses, but I know most that are in my area (who just cut the grass) have at most 3-4 mowers, yes several blowers, trimmers, and trimmers, and maybe 1 to 2 employees. You can't tell me that charging, like one guy said, over $400 for 6 acres is right. My 4 acres takes 2 hrs. and 15 min. by myself. I trim for another 20-30 min. around my house. OK, so I have 3 hours wrapped up in it. $400! Come on! If you get that each time each week for let's say 40 mowings/year...that is a $16,000+ job/year. How many jobs do you have like that? How many jobs do you have that are residental at $40-$45/mowing. Man, that is a good living. I'm not jealous, I'm just amazed. I have a college degree, along with a masters degree. Most of my college buddies aren't making this money working year round. I know you have expenses. My JD z-track 54 in. 23 Kaw. cost $7100 brand new in '04. I could keep rambling, but I just don't see where some of these people think they have to come up with these outrageous numbers. I understand disliking and bashing scrubs; not any job/career is perfect. We all have to deal with people we don't like. There is plenty of grass to mow; it's not going away, so don't worry about them. As some have so gracefully pointed out, maybe you should worry about yourself and your prices. I would rather be honest. I think some of you just don't want to work too hard. I think you want big money on a few jobs so you can be out on the golf course, drink beer, or something...I just don't get it. There just aren't many jobs out there or even careers out there that pay hourly like some of the numbers I have seen on here. You can whine and tell me all about your expenses, employee pay, etc. but my family has owned two different business and had many more expenses than what a small lawn care operation has and they haven't taken in the money some of you are supposedly taking in. I just hope there aren't too many people falling for $400 for 6 acres of mowing or $100/hour. If so, some people just have too much money that they don't know what to do with it. Let me end with...WOW!

ff279
01-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Hey PlayBoy, you said you have a price sheet... I f you dont mind could you send a copy my way thanks. Ryan

wriken
01-14-2005, 09:21 PM
$35.00 and up around here.

TClawn
01-15-2005, 02:56 AM
Wow! Some of these estimates I see are unbelievable. I own 8 acres, 4 of it I mow. If someone came to me and told me 200, 300, or 400 dollars, I would have to say you are nuts. Before we know it, people are going to have to start paying for their lawn care like they do for going to the doctor. Maybe some companies/corporations will start offering it as part of their fringe benefits. At least some of you sound like you have an idea while others are just down right trying to screw people out of their money. I'm not a business owner, but I do maintain 10-20 lawns each year; and yes I do report what I make to the IRS. I'm not trying to screw anyone out of anything. If all you do is mow and trim and these are the prices, all I can say is WOW! For those of you who own your own business, I'll admit I don't know all of your expenses, but I know most that are in my area (who just cut the grass) have at most 3-4 mowers, yes several blowers, trimmers, and trimmers, and maybe 1 to 2 employees. You can't tell me that charging, like one guy said, over $400 for 6 acres is right. My 4 acres takes 2 hrs. and 15 min. by myself. I trim for another 20-30 min. around my house. OK, so I have 3 hours wrapped up in it. $400! Come on! If you get that each time each week for let's say 40 mowings/year...that is a $16,000+ job/year. How many jobs do you have like that? How many jobs do you have that are residental at $40-$45/mowing. Man, that is a good living. I'm not jealous, I'm just amazed. I have a college degree, along with a masters degree. Most of my college buddies aren't making this money working year round. I know you have expenses. My JD z-track 54 in. 23 Kaw. cost $7100 brand new in '04. I could keep rambling, but I just don't see where some of these people think they have to come up with these outrageous numbers. I understand disliking and bashing scrubs; not any job/career is perfect. We all have to deal with people we don't like. There is plenty of grass to mow; it's not going away, so don't worry about them. As some have so gracefully pointed out, maybe you should worry about yourself and your prices. I would rather be honest. I think some of you just don't want to work too hard. I think you want big money on a few jobs so you can be out on the golf course, drink beer, or something...I just don't get it. There just aren't many jobs out there or even careers out there that pay hourly like some of the numbers I have seen on here. You can whine and tell me all about your expenses, employee pay, etc. but my family has owned two different business and had many more expenses than what a small lawn care operation has and they haven't taken in the money some of you are supposedly taking in. I just hope there aren't too many people falling for $400 for 6 acres of mowing or $100/hour. If so, some people just have too much money that they don't know what to do with it. Let me end with...WOW!

sir, I must mention to you that prices for lawn care vary region by region. I also notice that "more resonable" estimates are closer to your location.

for what it's worth, a gallon of milk here costs $7.00, regular gas is $3.11 per gallon, and a 1,500 sqft house on a 7,500 sqft lot goes for about $625,000

I am sure that in your region that those prices would be considered outragious. our prices are directly linked to our cost of living. that is why there is a "going rate" in the area. prices for food, gas, and land vary greatly.

I also must mention that even in my own area I am a border line low baller. one lco I know does 10,000 sqft lawns for $62.85 a mow. I personally cannot see somebody paying that much for just mowing, but this guy does have a contractors license and a turf and ornamental license. his crew rips up the lawns, but for the people here lawn service is not a convienience, it's a status symbol.

Grass Gator
01-15-2005, 12:48 PM
I can vouch for TCLawn and the prices in Hawaii.

Vacationing there last year and we went to the store for supplies....$6.00+ for a gallon of milk. We about schit! We also decided to "eat cheap" one night and head to McDonalds. Family of 4....normally around $10 on the mainland was nearly $25 (For 2 Qtr. pounder meals and 2 Happy meals)!!!!

We also saw a very small lot for sale about two blocks from the beach in Maui (West side). The lot was 80' x 120' and not in the best of shape. Asking price.....$1.2 million!

Hawaii is beautiful and we vacation there annually.....but the cost of EVERYTHING there is unreal.

TClawn
01-15-2005, 09:39 PM
I can vouch for TCLawn and the prices in Hawaii.

Vacationing there last year and we went to the store for supplies....$6.00+ for a gallon of milk. We about schit! We also decided to "eat cheap" one night and head to McDonalds. Family of 4....normally around $10 on the mainland was nearly $25 (For 2 Qtr. pounder meals and 2 Happy meals)!!!!

We also saw a very small lot for sale about two blocks from the beach in Maui (West side). The lot was 80' x 120' and not in the best of shape. Asking price.....$1.2 million!

Hawaii is beautiful and we vacation there annually.....but the cost of EVERYTHING there is unreal.

you said it brother!!

stumper1620
01-16-2005, 09:09 PM

How much does your local plumber charge per hour? plus i'm sure he will charge a service call or a trip charge. How much does your auto repairs cost per hour? I know around here its 80+ per hour, you think you can get an electrician to come to your house for less than 100 bucks min. i doubt it!
wake up to reality, cost of living is up ,cost of equipment is up, cost of fuel is up, cost of insurance is up, and cost of preventive maintenance is up, i could keep going but if you can't or wont understand the difference of me driving to a home with 60 thousand dollars worth of equipment (incl. truck) taking full liability into my hands and a home owner having a 737 in his garage to pull out with the blades running and start mowing, i'm sorry but you don't and probably wont ever have a clue.

gogetter
01-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Thank you stumper, you took the words out of my mouth! This isn't a hobby for most of us here!

BobbyKnight
01-17-2005, 03:57 PM
TClawn, I was just caught off guard by some of the numbers. Honestly, I didn't even notice you were referring to Hawaii. The numbers just jumped out at me. Yes, cost of living is cheaper in my area: Milk $3.00/gallon, gas $1.70 as of today, 1500 squ. ft. home you referred to would probably go for around $150,000-$300,000 depending on contractor and specific area. Just to give you an idea of cost of property my 8 acres was $42,500 four years ago. Currently in my area, 3/4 to 1 acre lots are going for $35,000 to $70,000. It just depends on the area. I just had 21 acres sell one mile from me for $65,000. In response to whomever wrote about the electrician, etc., those who have done work for me are not even close to those numbers. Big whatever Michigan must not be on the mainland either. I'll admit, though, I have some small town boys in my area that do great work for very little money. They charge so little that every time they ever do anything for me I write them a check that is usually $50-$100 more than what they asked for. I just had a guy clear my driveway, a winding drive that is probably 150+ feet long, who didn't charge me a dime. This wasn't a relative either. It was a guy I have only spoken to probably 6 times. That was after a snowstorm where we got 24 inches in two days! Also, just had a new motor put in my furnace. The guy came one evening about 7 PM to see what the problem was, came back two days later in the evening again, put the motor in and was charged $200. The motor cost $100. Probably spent 2 hours or so there between the two evenings. It's too bad it is not like that everywhere.

truerblue
02-08-2005, 12:31 AM
I am 59 years old and this is my first post. I have a job but, I would like to work for myself: control my opportunities and work as long as I want (not retire). I only want part time. I have a 95 Ford F150 truck and most of the hand tools I need for doing lawn and yard maintenance. I need a lawn mower and a trimmer. Any suggestions as to what I should get that is not too expensive but good quality. I plan to mow and trim at residential sites. About what too charge: am I right that the average rate for a standard mow and trim would be about $60 a Hour So any job would be a minimum of $30. Anyway, I probably have a lot more questions than that, but, this is all for now. PS I like the idea of charging a professional rate and serving customers that want professional services and perhaps doing some value added stuff to build the relationship. Thanks.

LB1234
02-08-2005, 12:36 PM
We figure out a base operating cost per lawn in our area . In other words we include all insurance, distance traveling, fuel costs (estimated), etc. For arguments sake let's say it "costs" us $30 to get to the job, work, and get back from the job. Now, I estimate by figuring how long it's going to take with one (1) person. Say it's going to take 1.5 hours. Assume my hourly wage is 30/hour. Now, that would mean the total price would be $75 dollars for that particular job.

No offence to anyone but I don't care about what others are charging or what the "going" or "market" rates are. I'm not going to take a job too lose money because the "going" rate is X-amount. I'm taking a job to make money.