PDA

View Full Version : does door to door work

scaglawnsnj
01-06-2005, 12:04 PM
hello,
i need to extend my buisness w/ about 50 more weeklys for 2005.. how does the door to door thing work..i'll do this in upper middle class neibor hoods. last year i went around tapeing my cards door to door..is it better to chat with them and talk my services..last year taped 2000 cards and got 30% feedback..basicly jus clean-ups and mulch..5new customers. i wont jus pick a random spot i'll got door to door in areas i mow, like cova sacks. were people seen gmj work..what do some of you do for more.........bucks payup

captaingreen
01-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Mostly word of mouth. I am going to put out about 500 door hangers here in a month or so (when weather permits), I've heard somewhere on this site the average is something like a 3% sales rate on flyers. That 3% will undoubtedly lead to more though, just do quality work, sounds like you do, and it will be your best advertisement. :) :) :)

captaingreen
01-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Ohh, one more thing. When I sent out my renewal letter's for this year I enclosed a card and offered 50% off their next service with each annual mowing account they refer. It's easier and less expensive to upsell existing customers that acquiring new ones.

scaglawnsnj
01-06-2005, 12:34 PM
i send my customers a 10% off coupon with the date i'll be their to mow. if the customer gets me more mows. i set them up with a few free flowers in their beds..and bring their trash cans back..they love me for that

Mowerboy04
01-06-2005, 12:40 PM
i go door to door it works great. i went to about 10 houses and got 6 accounts. i found if u go in the evening and just introduce your self and tell them about your self and company. i found it effective

greendave
01-06-2005, 12:42 PM
...and bring their trash cans back..they love me for that
I have one account that has trash pickup the morning I mow. I always carry the cans back up and put them away for them while I'm blowing, no loss of time or productivity, and she thinks I'm a god for doing it for her!

Generally speaking, any type of direct marketing will usually bring about a 3% return. If you do better than that, you're definitely doing something right!

bobbygedd
01-06-2005, 12:46 PM
hello,
i need to extend my buisness w/ about 50 more weeklys for 2005.. how does the door to door thing work..i'll do this in upper middle class neibor hoods. last year i went around tapeing my cards door to door..is it better to chat with them and talk my services..last year taped 2000 cards and got 30% feedback..basicly jus clean-ups and mulch..5new customers. i wont jus pick a random spot i'll got door to door in areas i mow, like cova sacks. were people seen gmj work..what do some of you do for more.........bucks payup
gm, i have a question for you. this is not a setup, and i'm not going to say anything stupid. i'm just curious because i had a friend, we worked together, he moved to toms river. anyhow, he basically said there is no work down that way (he was a printer, as was i) and that the wages down that way were real real low. are you able to charge the same fees down there as we do in central/northern jersey? the magic number here seems to be $25-$30 for a home with 3k-10k worth of grass. same there, or lower?

Shuter
01-06-2005, 12:53 PM
The best way to get new business is by using your reputation. I have found that word of mouth is better than newspaper, flyers, cards, etc.

scaglawnsnj
01-06-2005, 01:16 PM
BOBBY There Are 100,000 Lawns In Toms River, Starving For Work Here Is Lack Of Advertizment..in Fact The Common Price For Lawn Maint For Me 35.00 For A 3000 Sqr Ft Property..i Really Dont Cut For Under 30.00....even If The Lawn Takes 3 Passes With A 21' Mower The Price Is 30.00..and Do They Pay That Here Damn Right..i Started This Buisness Because Their Hardly Any Buisness Owers Who Will Pay You Over 9.00 An Hour **** Accountants Make 15.00-25 An Hour
There Is Alot Of Landscapers Out Here Though I Would Say 20,000
But 100,000 Lawns Do The Math!!!!!!!!!

scaglawnsnj
01-06-2005, 01:22 PM
i go door to door it works great. i went to about 10 houses and got 6 accounts. i found if u go in the evening and just introduce your self and tell them about your self and company. i found it effective

I DID SOMETHING LIKE THAT ACROSS THE STREET FROM MY BEST CUSTOMER I KNOCKED ON THEIR DOOR AND ASKED I THEY WERE INTERESTED IN A DETHATCH AND SEEDING, THEY WERE EXZILORATED TO HAVE ME DO IT IN THE FRONT YARD..I MADE A QUICK 300.00 AND THIS YEAR IM BUILDING THEM A FRENCH DRAIN AND A 12" REATIANING WALL AND 10 TONS OF SOIL WOW JUST FROM KNOCKING I LOVE IT AND THEY HAVE MONEY TO BLOW

grass-scapes
01-06-2005, 08:26 PM
BOBBY There Are 100,000 Lawns In Toms River, Starving For Work Here Is Lack Of Advertizment..in Fact The Common Price For Lawn Maint For Me 35.00 For A 3000 Sqr Ft Property..i Really Dont Cut For Under 30.00....even If The Lawn Takes 3 Passes With A 21' Mower The Price Is 30.00..and Do They Pay That Here Damn Right..i Started This Buisness Because Their Hardly Any Buisness Owers Who Will Pay You Over 9.00 An Hour **** Accountants Make 15.00-25 An Hour

I did the math.... That equals 5 lawns per company. Wow, you must be making good with those 5 lawns.

Me thinks you have a typo in there somewhere.

scaglawnsnj
01-06-2005, 09:59 PM
wow your retarted 100,000 lawns in just toms river huh what about the surounding towns there are 20,000 landscapers in nj redo the math

Soupy
01-06-2005, 10:04 PM

Would you mind sharing your sales pitch? You ca PM me if you don't want to post it.

wow your retarted 100,000 lawns in just toms river huh what about the surounding towns there are 20,000 landscapers in nj redo the math

How can anyone do math with numbers that they don't know. You supplied those numbers and said do the math. Plus, I think he was kidding with you. You did't have to call him ******ed.

grass-scapes
01-06-2005, 10:21 PM
Would you mind sharing your sales pitch? You ca PM me if you don't want to post it.

How can anyone do math with numbers that they don't know. You supplied those numbers and said do the math. Plus, I think he was kidding with you. You did't have to call him ******ed.

I don't know how some of those idiots in NJ keep any of their customers. If they treat them anything like their peers, I know I wouldn't keep them.
Geez. I did the math with the numbers you gave me. Re-read your own post then learn to keep your mouth shut when you make a mistake instead of trying to pass it off

all ferris
01-06-2005, 10:32 PM

GMJ - Great Math Joke

scaglawnsnj
01-06-2005, 10:43 PM

ahh **** the math gmj is a fully insured lawn care business

at gmj lawns customer satisfaction is our goal

beransfixitinc
01-07-2005, 12:17 AM
Why do I start to think that these gmj posts are either Bobbygedd or the geogunn guy on some secondary false account, trying to imitate how they think a "Scrub" would be doing work, and posting on Lawnsite?

I'm sorry.. maybe gmj is a legitimate person and all.. but something just doesn't equal out here....

For one, I find nothing in the NewJersey business registar for a "GMJ Lawns, Inc." so, either the name has not been processed by the state.. or, it goes along with the false member name...

Sliim1115
02-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Does anyone have a sample Lawn Service Annual Renewal Letter they can share?

Kickin Your Grass
02-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Does anyone have a sample Lawn Service Annual Renewal Letter they can share?

hmm you found a 5 year old thread to ask this...

Sliim1115
02-07-2010, 09:33 PM
:-) I've been searching for hours.... Hoping someone can help.

froglawn
02-09-2010, 05:57 PM
we do t-shirts...its good!