PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody noticed????

Carolina Cutter
01-06-2005, 01:26 PM
That there sure are a lot of "I am starting in Spring....what should I" posts since the turn of the year.........

Not bashing anybody, I wish everyone luck. Here they come..... :cool:

AL Inc
01-06-2005, 01:32 PM
I've been here about 3 years now and there are still a few, not many, that I remember when I first found this site. I guess some go out of business or some just lose interest in LS, there is a constant turn over. The repetitive posts do get a little annoying after a while, but nobody says you have to read them. Personally, I think forums like this are very good for the industry, and it is good that new guys can ask questions. I sure didn't have LS when I started, I had no guidance.

scaglawnsnj
01-06-2005, 01:39 PM
i love it when people say their starting up..because they see me doing ok..i jus say good luck and your back will hurt every night..on a good day..it takes monet to make money...ow yea and dedication most guys don;t last 3 months that ive seen. :angry:

AL Inc
01-06-2005, 01:43 PM
I was talking about that with a friend of mine this morning, gmj, We agreed that the drive is something you either have or you don't. Those that don't are the casualties. My friend sold his maintenance business in fall of '03, and the guy who bought it I don't think will be around this year. Just drove it into the ground.

Shuter
01-06-2005, 01:50 PM
I agree with Al, it seems better now than it used to be. I think that many people like to ask questions about being a business owner, but never follow through. If you want to work for yourself you need to have a lot of drive and ambition, 2 things you can not get from asking questions here about starting a business.

rodfather
01-06-2005, 02:20 PM
That there sure are a lot of "I am starting in Spring....what should I" posts since the turn of the year.........

Not bashing anybody, I wish everyone luck. Here they come..... :cool:

and a number saying they are going from part time to full time too.

lawnwizards
01-06-2005, 05:54 PM
and a number saying they are going from part time to full time too.
that shows that people aren't lying when they say there is money to be made doing lawncare. :)

richard coffman
01-06-2005, 06:19 PM
I've done this for many years, too many to count so it seams. the way i figure, you have to have a love for this business and cutting grass on a daily business or you'll just be kiding yourself. there are a lot of people who see the $ signs in their eyes, but they don't see what it takes to make it really work. you have to make your business work like a well tuned carburator, but it doesn't allways happen that way. it's the stuff that the new guys don't see that will hit them at 60 m.p.h. I think we've all been there.

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner :D :D :D

grass-scapes
01-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Hell, it hit me at 80 MPH. I started part time, moved to full time and man, I still worry about losing clients and not making money, and etc. People think its easy, and in some aspects, it is. But if they make a couple of small mistakes, it can all be over quick and we get to buy used equipment at a bargain.

Fvstringpicker
01-06-2005, 11:52 PM
The number of LCO's in my neck of the woods is growing by probably 50% a year, due in part to job loss related to industries closing and that young adults see little future in traditional trades and professions because of off shoring of jobs. The choice is simple if laid off; maybe find a job paying 50% of what you made or start your own business. LCO's are highly visible and have an extremely high rate of return per dollar invested. With our beloved President pushing the off shoring of more job to cheap overseas labor and pushing to practically open our borders to Mexican workers (called improving our immigration policies by the white house) in an effort to lower wages to repay international corporations for their support, the infinite number of start-up LCO's is going to exceed the finite number of yards. Savvy investors, such as myself, :) has already made a boatload of money by anticipating this trend and investing in lawn equipment manufacturers. Check the chart on Toro (symbol ttc) and see the breakout from it's base on huge volume in feb of last year. The solid growth in sales and net income that is driving the stock price is not due to increases in the volume of $300 push mowers.