Vacuum too? Nevermind.

scaglawnsnj
01-06-2005, 04:27 PM
what do you charge for that green one with the red chevy in the drive way,
monthly jus the mow part..what did you charge for that leaf clean up
jus wondering i won't steal it or notheing

bobbygedd
01-06-2005, 04:39 PM
the first one (greener one), the part of the property you see, is half of the property. there is another part of it on the other side of the driveway. to cut the grass weekly it's $27. a one time leaf cleanup= $150 and takes roughly 45 minutes, as you can see, using the meg mos, there is no disposal. the second property was done WITHOUT USING A CATCHER AT ALL, the meg mos ground the leaves into nothing.

scaglawnsnj
01-06-2005, 04:47 PM
the first one (greener one), the part of the property you see, is half of the property. there is another part of it on the other side of the driveway. to cut the grass weekly it's $27. a one time leaf cleanup= $150 and takes roughly 45 minutes, as you can see, using the meg mos, there is no disposal. the second property was done WITHOUT USING A CATCHER AT ALL, the meg mos ground the leaves into nothing.

sounds right goood jooob :)

CNYScapes
01-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Is that the going rate in your area? Holy smokes I have to raise my prices.

richard coffman
01-06-2005, 05:18 PM
did a nice job bobby. payup

hulan2
01-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Bobby, do the meg-mo's rob the h.p. of the motor like I have heard? If they work that good, I need to get some of those. That is 100 times better than the mulch kit I have been running.

bobbygedd
01-06-2005, 05:29 PM
well, i'm not sure if it does or doesn't, i can't hear a difference, cus the meg mo's make the damn thing sound like a helicopter. but i'll tell you this....i'll never leave home without them

KathysLGC
01-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Meg mo's are on my to buy list. I just ordered the blade grinder so the meg mo's are next.
Is this your first time using them? Did they preform as you expected or better?
What mower did you use and how many passes did it take you for the lawn with out the catcher?
Using only gators on my TTHP, i would of had to go over that lawn 3 times.
Do you have any issues with blow out or do you have an anti blow out baffle on?

KathysLGC
01-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Oh and before i forget, Nice job!

bobbygedd
01-06-2005, 05:44 PM
i have found: they work awesome on dry grass. not good on wet grass, too much buildup under the deck. excellent on leaves. the property without the catcher , i made 3 passes never using a catcher. keeping them sharp helps alot, i sharpened them only once.....i got them this past spring, so it could have been two passes. blowout, yes, big time. the trick is though, if you are going to make a pass or two with the catcher on, don't make this your last pass. your last pass should be with no catcher. i used a 36" bobcat, side discharged. the biggest advantage, i have found with them, is the elimination of disposal. you save $$$ on disposal fees, and trips to the dump. and, the finely ground leaves and grass, are great for the turf. see how nice the first one looks? the previous season i used doubles and mulched alot of the leaves into the lawn. not to mention i also put down like 4 lbs of nitrogen per thousand, in the fall

KathysLGC
01-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Ah i see. An anti blow out baffle is on my list too but i've heard there aren't that great. Guess I'll have to order it with my meg mo's and hope for the best. If you did that in 3 passes then i can compare it to my gators. It looks close but from the pics i'd still have to say the pics from the meg mo job (discharged) looks cleaner. Did you use a hand grinder to sharpen the blades?

65hoss
01-06-2005, 05:57 PM
well, i'm not sure if it does or doesn't, i can't hear a difference, cus the meg mo's make the damn thing sound like a helicopter. but i'll tell you this....i'll never leave home without them

I really like my Meg Mo's also. Yes they do pull the motor down some, but they cut much better than regulars with the motor all the way up. I have a tach on mine and it will pull about 200 rpm's running them. They destroy leaves and grass clippings. I will be running them mostly full time next year instead of the other blades I usually run.

hulan2
01-06-2005, 06:13 PM
So do the meg-mo's eliminate the need for a mulch kit under the deck?

Soupy
01-06-2005, 06:21 PM
I might have to give them a try. I run doubles and Mulch kit/blow out baffle on a Hustler Z and my lawns look like that when I am done. 2-3 passes. I wonder if I can cut that down to 1-2 passes with the Meg-Mo's?

lawncutr
01-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Amen to you guys that have finally seen the light about mulching leaves....easy peasy Japoneasy....I am going to go on vacation next year to one of the hometowns where they get the high dollar amounts for the leaf cleanups (where they haul off all the trash and charge like $1000)...I am going to bring only one leaf blower...and a 36" Scag with mulch kit.... and charge half price for the cleanups.....I'll be the scub of all scubs.....or maybe I'll just send my 15 man Mexican crew with rakes and our environmentally correct fertilizer distributor (our goat)....ahhh..... easy money.

bobbygedd
01-06-2005, 06:32 PM
my personal opinion on the mulch kit....toss it. i think the most important thing is to "air them out". have you ever had to double or tripple cut wet grass? do you notice how fast the clippings dry out? by the time you finish the first cut, start over again, and the first side of the property is almost dry already? well, same concept with side discharging. you chop and shoot the leaves (they contain some moisture), by running them over, side discharging them, in the same motion (one pass up, one pass back, etc) as a grass cut. this airing out helps to chop them up finer on the next pass. in these pictures u see, the grass was pretty high also, as i made no cuts in november, and we had alot of late season growth here. the cleanups were done last week of november, or maybe even first week of december. the meg mo's ground the high grass and all the leaves to nothing. u can't even see the dust when we're done.

lawncutr
01-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Your leaves must be more difficult than mine to cut up....I guess whatever works for you...I have been around a while and tried it many different ways....but these big mowers will mulch up the leaves in two or three passes no problem...wet dry or whatever....just don't haul off any trash if you don't have to.....I NEVER have to haul leaves off....mulching takes care of all that....and it is good for the yard...the microbial organisms that allow the grass to absorb nutrients more efficiently love the decaying matter. It makes the soil more healthy and therefore the grass.

lawncutr
01-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Actually I have seen how airing them out can make them easier...I just don't like to side discharge and throw leaves all ove the place....easpecially in a nice neighborhood....customers love it when they suddenly walk out of their front door right into a cloud of dust.....or worrying about keeping all that out of a swimming pool....

bobbygedd
01-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Your leaves must be more difficult than mine to cut up....I guess whatever works for you...I have been around a while and tried it many different ways....but these big mowers will mulch up the leaves in two or three passes no problem...wet dry or whatever....just don't haul off any trash if you don't have to.....I NEVER have to haul leaves off....mulching takes care of all that....and it is good for the yard...the microbial organisms that allow the grass to absorb nutrients more efficiently love the decaying matter. It makes the soil more healthy and therefore the grass.
lawncutr, i've tried every concievable way to clean leaves. bagging with high liftes, mulching with doubles (gators over high lifts) , bagging with doubles, blocking the discharge and mulching, blowing into piles and loading them on the truck...u name it, i've done it. the meg mo's are BY FAR the best method i've found. now, remember, i only use 36" and 48" walkbehinds, different machinery may vary.

ALarsh
01-06-2005, 07:38 PM
I got a question about the meg mos. It says for 33" and larger cut the price is $89.95. I would need 3 blades, do I pay $89.95 or $267.75?

hulan2
01-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the advise Bobby. I guess I will try them starting this spring. It would have been nice to have seen those pictures before this leaf season started. I do most of my cutting in the morning, and the north Ga. dew is heavy. What should I expect and do you have any pointers? As my 9 yr old daughter would say "those things are the bomb". I look foward to using them. Thanks again Bobby. You are alright with me even though you are from Jersey! :p

nitrotim
01-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Bobby, do you still have alot of leaves hanging on trees up there. We have alot Pin Oaks and its seems as though as many leaves that fell during the fall there are just as many still on the trees. Makes for good profit in the spring huh. :)

coastallandscapesolutions
01-06-2005, 07:56 PM
AWESOME Job Bobby! Thank you for sharing the pictures too.

bobbygedd
01-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Bobby, do you still have alot of leaves hanging on trees up there. We have alot Pin Oaks and its seems as though as many leaves that fell during the fall there are just as many still on the trees. Makes for good profit in the spring huh. :)
no, it makes for agrivation in the spring. yup, still alot of "hangers" here too. and you, hulan, ever hear of a dew surcharge? add it on.

Soupy
01-06-2005, 08:07 PM
How hard is it to sharpen the blades? I use a blade grinder. Will I be able to sharpen them the same as gator blades etc.?

How much difference to they make for regular cutting?

nitrotim
01-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Has anyone tried these on thier 21" mower? They recomend at least 5 hp.

KathysLGC
01-06-2005, 08:24 PM
I got a question about the meg mos. It says for 33" and larger cut the price is $89.95. I would need 3 blades, do I pay $89.95 or $267.75?

$267.75 Each meg mo counts as one blade.

bobbygedd
01-06-2005, 08:45 PM
How hard is it to sharpen the blades? I use a blade grinder. Will I be able to sharpen them the same as gator blades etc.?

i take them out to be sharpened. $20 . on regular grass they will do great. the only problems i've had were in real wet grass. they cut clean, stripe nice, and virtually dicinigrate the clippings. leaves a nice finish, and benefits the lawn healthwise. and, you'll probably need to sharpen less than regular blades

Sir mowsalot
01-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Is there a site somewhere that sells these megmo blades? If so can someone tell me, id like to check into it,and also see what they look like.

1MajorTom
01-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Is there a site somewhere that sells these megmo blades? If so can someone tell me, id like to check into it,and also see what they look like.
http://www.meg-mo.com/

o-so-n-so
01-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Nice job bobby. Makes me want some mega's.

bobbygedd
01-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Nice job bobby. Makes me want some mega's.
you hear that roy? i'm sellin em faster than you. can i get at LEAST a $5 discount?

Duramax99
01-06-2005, 10:53 PM
Bobby,

What happens if you hit something with those things, like a rock or a branch. Do you think it would hurt the spindle since it is already stressing the motor. Do the blades come off of the round part so if you destroyed one you could replace it???

65hoss
01-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Bobby,

What happens if you hit something with those things, like a rock or a branch. Do you think it would hurt the spindle since it is already stressing the motor. Do the blades come off of the round part so if you destroyed one you could replace it???

The blades are mounted loosely so they swing away if you hit something. It keeps them from nicking up like regular blades. It is very effective, I was skeptical of these blades, but I have become totally impressed. You can replace any or all the blades easily whenever needed.

65hoss
01-07-2005, 09:05 AM

I leave mine attached to the disc and fold the other blades back out of the way and run them across my blade grinder. You don't really sharpen them as sharp as regular blades. With 4 blades on each disc they will cut really well and last longer with them just a little under razor sharp.

65hoss
01-07-2005, 09:07 AM
So do the meg-mo's eliminate the need for a mulch kit under the deck?
Yes, the meg mo's and a OCDC will do the trick.

KathysLGC
01-07-2005, 10:28 AM
you hear that roy? i'm sellin em faster than you. can i get at LEAST a $5 discount?

A lawn site member discount would be nice....

Ol'time Lawncare
01-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Is that the greenest lawn in the neighborhood?

bobbygedd
01-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Is that the greenest lawn in the neighborhood?
it is the envy of the neighborhood. however, i cannot sign any neighbors because of pricing. in the development, i have about 8 lawns, but none side by side. i get $300 for a fert program on properties this size, and $27-$33 a mow. my competitors here are doing these same properties for $19 a mow, and fert programs $175. my competitors will also do the leaves on these properties on a weekly basis, at the lawn mowing rate.

Wil22
01-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Nice job Bobby. This type of information is very helpful to newbies like me. Now that you are in "hibernation mode" I would like to see some more photos of your work.

Ol'time Lawncare
01-07-2005, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=bobbygedd] i get $300 for a fert program on properties this size, and $27-$33 a mow.
I sub out all my fert. he charges me 195 for the season, for that size property, but i get 35 a week to cut

musselman
01-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Bobby, I need to eat crow, Ive said in the past that maybe you have many PITA costumers is because of bad work...those lawn look really nice. I must apologize for that comment...Sorry.

bobbygedd
01-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Nice job Bobby. This type of information is very helpful to newbies like me. Now that you are in "hibernation mode" I would like to see some more photos of your work.
you want to see photos of my wife? shame on you. check out a thread i started a couple months back called, "some of our work". u can see some lawns, trimming, etc

dishboy
01-07-2005, 01:48 PM
i have found: they work awesome on dry grass. not good on wet grass, too much buildup under the deck. excellent on leaves. the property without the catcher , i made 3 passes never using a catcher. keeping them sharp helps alot, i sharpened them only once.....i got them this past spring, so it could have been two passes. blowout, yes, big time. the trick is though, if you are going to make a pass or two with the catcher on, don't make this your last pass. your last pass should be with no catcher. i used a 36" bobcat, side discharged. the biggest advantage, i have found with them, is the elimination of disposal. you save $$$ on disposal fees, and trips to the dump. and, the finely ground leaves and grass, are great for the turf. see how nice the first one looks? the previous season i used doubles and mulched alot of the leaves into the lawn. not to mention i also put down like 4 lbs of nitrogen per thousand, in the fall

BG, you put down 4lbs of N per 1000 in your fall apps?

Interesting approach, how do you space this out and what form of N [win, wsn, slow release?] are you applying. If you are using synthetic forms of N do you think all of this or most of it becomes available to the plant before volatilization or leaching.

Another question, have you tried mulching with a designated mulch kit [like a Exmark kit ] with a single wavy blade?

bobbygedd
01-07-2005, 01:54 PM
BG, you put down 4lbs of N per 1000 in your fall apps?

Interesting approach, how do you space this out and what form of N [win, wsn, slow release?] are you applying. If you are using synthetic forms of N do you think all of this or most of it becomes available to the plant before volatilization or leaching.

Another question, have you tried mulching with a designated mulch kit [like a Exmark kit ] with a single wavy blade?
it's probably a little less than 4 lbs. i'll do 20-5-10 in sept. again in october. then after leaf cleanup, i'll do 30-0-0. the rates are 4lb per k, scu. but, i over apply a little. this is not on all lawns, i do this on some "problem " lawns, to help with different issues i've had with them during the summer months.

Mo Green
01-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Great pics Bobby. Nice work. You have piqued my interest in the Meg-Mo blades as well. Thanks.....

ALarsh
01-08-2005, 12:41 AM
$267.75 Each meg mo counts as one blade.

I'm interested also but I can't justify $267 for blades right now.

Soupy
01-08-2005, 12:57 AM
I'm interested also but I can't justify $267 for blades right now.
Yea, you would think they could get that down to at least $60 per spindle. That would be $15 per blade for a total of $180. I pay about $17 per spindle running offsets and gators. The gator under the offsets are almost even which gives close to an even 4 blade cut.

You guys using them. Do they leave any stragglers like a lot of regular blades. I don't have a problem with mulching capabilities with my $60 setup. So I would be more interested in if they will save me from a few double cuts and less labor sharpening?

Fareway Lawncare
01-08-2005, 04:36 AM
You Kids and Your Meg-Mo's...Just Slap on Double Gators for 1/2 the Price & get Double the Results !

65hoss
01-08-2005, 10:15 AM
You Kids and Your Meg-Mo's...Just Slap on Double Gators for 1/2 the Price & get Double the Results !
Wrong. We have done the comparison, not close.

rodfather
01-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Wrong. We have done the comparison, not close.

Remember Eric this is Calvin aka Ultimate Lawn who's talking :dizzy:

65hoss
01-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Its $59.95 per disc x 3= $179.85
I don't know if that price comes with the knives(blades attached or not)
Blades/knives are $3.95 each X 4= $15.80 per spindle x 3= $47.40

After the initial, you don't buy anything but the blades. They do seem to last longer than regulars. You don't get all the nicks in them due to folding back.

65hoss
01-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Remember Eric this is Calvin aka Ultimate Lawn who's talking :dizzy:
Yea, I know. Maybe he could put a set of doubles on the mower to get it back up the steps??? :cool2:

rodfather
01-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Yea, I know. Maybe he could put a set of doubles on the mower to get it back up the steps??? :cool2:

LOL, I wonder if he's perfected his SCS (Step Climbing System) for his mower yet? Remember that one?

65hoss
01-08-2005, 10:29 AM
LOL, I wonder if he's perfected his SCS (Step Climbing System) for his mower yet? Remember that one?

Or maybe a kill switch to keep kids from cranking it and running thru a fence.

:p

Soupy
01-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Its $59.95 per disc x 3= $179.85
I don't know if that price comes with the knives(blades attached or not)
Blades/knives are $3.95 each X 4= $15.80 per spindle x 3= $47.40

After the initial, you don't buy anything but the blades. They do seem to last longer than regulars. You don't get all the nicks in them due to folding back.

That sounds a lot better. I am going to buy some for sure.

Fareway Lawncare
01-08-2005, 11:20 AM
The Megs give Better Vacuum due to the Huge Sail on the Knives....Better for Bagging Embedded Debris...Almost like having a Trac Vac installed....

Double Gators Chop Finer for Your Basic Leaf Clean-Up.

FERT-TEK
01-08-2005, 04:09 PM
anyone putthem on the new Toro machines with the saddle under the spindle? How did it work?

weve
01-08-2005, 05:07 PM
The $59.95 per disc includes the four knives per disc. The replacement knives are $3.95 each. I purchased a set of four discs in December, three for my DC deck and one for my Flex-Deck. I'll know more about how they cut when spring comes.

Mowmoney00
01-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Pin Oaks don't loose their leaves until the spring or until the new growth pushes them out...kinda like a Magnolia tree. Well atleast it does around here.

Fareway Lawncare
01-08-2005, 10:17 PM
You Don't Want to Use them for Wet Spring Growth....Clump City ! Too Much Lift..Packs the deck.

Best Scenario for Megs are Long Dry Turf & Spring Clean-Ups (Embedded Debris)

Soupy
01-08-2005, 10:26 PM
You Don't Want to Use them for Wet Spring Growth....Clump City ! Too Much Lift..Packs the deck.

So basically use them as you would Gators?

Fareway Lawncare
01-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Here's the Real Scoop on Meg-Mos...Not the Hype some of these Guys are trying to Feed You.

First you can't balance them properly which Bothers Me...
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=72896&page=1

...& You Will feel Some Vibration compared to properly Balanced Blades.

Second...They're Really no Better than Doubles in Most Cases Except for the fact that they have the eXtreme Sail on the knife end which makes them better for picking up embedded debris.....Otherwise Various Double Combos Work Better @ Significantly less Price.

If you're Scared of Doubles or Need a Great Blade for Sucking up Embedded Debris in the Spring...Get Them...But there are Better Options for Fall Leaves & Grass Cuts.
http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20301&stc=1

ALarsh
01-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Where do you guys buy gator blades? I can't find their site.

dishboy
01-09-2005, 01:15 AM
I only difference I see between Meg-Mows and doubles are that they on the same plane, which could be beneficial with decks that do not use spacers, or floating decks. With fixed deck mowers that use spacers using a Bobcat blade and a straight blade [like Exmark uses] with spacers this same feature can be duplicated.

Fareway Lawncare
01-09-2005, 01:52 AM
Makes No Difference...the Knives are set Just Below the Disc so the Deck Positioning Difference Between Doubles is Fairly Insignificant.....Plus They Create Alot of Blow-out w/those Huge Solid Foils....especially w/Mulch Kits.

oldturf
01-09-2005, 04:18 PM
anyone putthem on the new Toro machines with the saddle under the spindle? How did it work?
I just received a set for one of my 62" Toro Zs, I will be installing them on only one machine to evaluate them. I will do a post on the results.

FERT-TEK
01-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Old turf, I am definitely intersted in your findings. I have been told they wont fit on the new toros because of the saddle on the spindle. If they fit please let me know your opinion on them versus running doubles if you have done that. Also curious how you have your toro set up, which deck you have and if you are running an OCDC with that machine.

65hoss
01-09-2005, 06:54 PM

Probably depends on type of grass. With warm season turf the meg mo's do better in wet conditions. They don't clump in bermuda and zoysia. Any other blade combos would and do clump bad in wet conditions, but the meg's gave me a very impressive cut. Due to the extreme airflow, it throws wet clippings out better without clumping.

Oh, I sorta disagree with you on picking stuff up in embedded turf. Yes, they do make great airflow, but they are better than regular blades about not picking up rocks or sticks. They do get leaves out as well, but don't pick up stuff of weight to throw dangerously.

Doc Pete
01-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Here's the Real Scoop on Meg-Mos...Not the Hype some of these Guys are trying to Feed You.

First you can't balance them properly which Bothers Me...
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=72896&page=1

OH........

Doc Pete
01-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Second...They're Really no Better than Doubles in Most Cases Except for the fact that they have the eXtreme Sail on the knife end which makes them better for picking up embedded debris.....Otherwise Various Double Combos Work Better @ Significantly less Price.

Really.......???

Doc Pete
01-09-2005, 08:24 PM

If you're Scared of Doubles or Need a Great Blade for Sucking up Embedded Debris in the Spring...Get Them...But there are Better Options for Fall Leaves & Grass Cuts.

Man, I'm so glad my Tivo broke, this is just the best.
BTW, Happy Birthday "Ultimate" :waving:
Keep up the good work :cool2:
And, if you still want to keep your Menthols rolled up your sleeve, that's OK with me. :drinkup:

Fareway Lawncare
01-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Hoss, We All know You Got a Free Set so Mabe you feel a Need to Post Balony.

Megs are Basically Double Solid Foil Blades Period w/extra sail. Try a Double Set of Notched eXcaliburs in Wet and then Tell Me Any Solid Foil Blade performs Better. Solids Create Upward Airflow which Causes Grass Build-Up & Clumping...mabe Hoss' Idea of Lush Turf is a little Wimpy.

Try a double Set of Solid eXcaliburs neXt to the Megs in LONG Wet Turf..The Megs will Clump First.

Try a double set of Gators on leaves neXt to Megs...The Gators will Smoke them & less Blow-out...Better yet Use a Mulch Kit w/a a Couple eXcalibur Mulchers.

For the Price of Megs you can Buy Alot of Blades and Use Alot of Different Blade Combinations to best Suit your Mowing Scenario. I Will Still, however use Megs, In the Spring w/the Catchers.

65hoss
01-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Hoss, We All know You Got a Free Set so Mabe you feel a Need to Post Balony.

Megs are Basically Double Solid Foil Blades Period w/extra sail. Try a Double Set of Notched eXcaliburs in Wet and then Tell Me Any Solid Foil Blade performs Better. Solids Create Upward Airflow which Causes Grass Build-Up & Clumping...mabe Hoss' Idea of Lush Turf is a little Wimpy.

Try a double Set of Solid eXcaliburs neXt to the Megs in LONG Wet Turf..The Megs will Clump First.

Try a double set of Gators on leaves neXt to Megs...The Gators will Smoke them & less Blow-out...Better yet Use a Mulch Kit w/a a Couple eXcalibur Mulchers.

For the Price of Megs you can Buy Alot of Blades and Use Alot of Different Blade Combinations to best Suit your Mowing Scenario. I Will Still, however use Megs, In the Spring w/the Catchers.

1. Yes and no. I won them in a drawing at a cookout with 30 other members there. Its not like they sent me a free pair so I would give them free advertising. I have no agreements or reason to post anything but what I found to be the truth.

2. Wimpy turf?? Haha. Try some fertilized healthy full active Bermuda with tons of water. The hotter it gets the meanier that stuff gets.

3. Gators next to them...Humm, what the heck do you think I did? I had the gators on before I ever put the megs on. I've been running the gators every leaf season until this one. The megs DO A BETTER JOB. Some of my mowers keep the mulch kits on year round. I have the excaliber mulchers on them. Sure they do a great job, they push a lot of finely cut up leaves into the turf. But with heavy leaves around here, it is not always the best to mulch. You need to side discharge and then use the vac to get the leftovers.

Gilla Gorilla
04-27-2005, 12:33 AM
Hey Bobby

Just checking to see if you are using those Meg Mo's during the spring cutting and if so how are they working out? Any clumping in the lush thick wet grass up there this spring???

LALawnboy
04-27-2005, 04:28 AM
i'm pretty new to this site and i had never heard of a meg-mo system until reading this thread. i do this part time and i was wondering if i could install a meg-mo on a 21" and also has anyone else done it? how is the cut on the smaller mowers with the meg-mo system attached? thanks,

todd

bobbygedd
04-27-2005, 09:33 AM
Hey Bobby

Just checking to see if you are using those Meg Mo's during the spring cutting and if so how are they working out? Any clumping in the lush thick wet grass up there this spring???
hi gilla. yes i was using them until we had alot of rain. on my mower (bobcat 36") the clumping is real bad. others using them don't seem to have this problem. i contacted roy, and he feels i may have a "baffling" problem. he said to call and he will help me work thru this. fareway is a fool btw, for leaves and dry grass, the meg mos are about 1,000 times better than doubles, gators, or any other blade there is.

Doc Pete
04-27-2005, 12:31 PM
hi gilla. yes i was using them until we had alot of rain. on my mower (bobcat 36") the clumping is real bad. others using them don't seem to have this problem. i contacted roy, and he feels i may have a "baffling" problem. he said to call and he will help me work thru this. fareway is a fool btw, for leaves and dry grass, the meg mos are about 1,000 times better than doubles, gators, or any other blade there is.

Bobby,
You're not wrong as far as clumping, period. It's not baffling. It's the blades. What you may want to try is take a pair of blades off each set of Megmos and run "single meggies". The problem is "too many blades just chop the grass too much". You want the high sail of the Megmo's but not the cutting action off all those cutting edges.........
I've been through this with doubles, super's and gators. Super lift singles are the best for wet grass. They throw the grass out faster and don't chop as much.... This is what you want.
PTP......

John Gamba
04-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Bobby,
You're not wrong as far as clumping, period. It's not baffling. It's the blades. What you may want to try is take a pair of blades off each set of Megmos and run "single meggies". The problem is "too many blades just chop the grass too much". You want the high sail of the Megmo's but not the cutting action off all those cutting edges.........
I've been through this with doubles, super's and gators. Super lift singles are the best for wet grass. They throw the grass out faster and don't chop as much.... This is what you want.
PTP......

Pete
You are more then correct. I took off two on every disk and i'm able to use them all the time. I put on the other two for leaves and spring clean ups.

Meg-mo Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Doc Pete
04-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Pete
You are more then correct. I took off two on every disk and i'm able to use them all the time. I put on the other two for leaves and spring clean ups.

Meg-mo Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Gees..... think of that.... and I don't even own a pair.... yet!!!! Just think if I bought some. Boy, would I do modifying then!!!!!!
Frankly, I may be getting a set for my wifes', LX280. There's not enough room for doubles, so the megmo's seem like the way to go.
PTP........

John Gamba
04-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Gees..... think of that.... and I don't even own a pair.... yet!!!! Just think if I bought some. Boy, would I do modifying then!!!!!!
Frankly, I may be getting a set for my wifes', LX280. There's not enough room for doubles, so the megmo's seem like the way to go.
PTP........

Great let us know when you get them.

John

rookiemower
04-27-2005, 05:19 PM
when i first got the megmos i hated them. Then i decided to give them a second try. I sharped them real good, and guess what i'll never go back to my stock blades again. The key to these blades is keeping them sharp which takes less than five minutes with a grinder since they dont have to be balanced. If anyone wants a tip for sharpening, use a grinding wheel with the notchs in it. They are made for blending. when you run that wheel you can actually see what you are doing because of the notchs in the wheel. :cool2:

Fareway Lawncare
04-27-2005, 05:43 PM
Bobby...You Don't have a Baffling Problem You have a Meg Knife Problem...I've used them on Heavily Baffled eXmarks and Zero Baffled Toro SFS Decks....The eXtreme Sail on the Knives Pulls Wet Grass Upwards Where it Sticks to the Top of the Deck....Best Blades for Wet are Notched Foil Blades...Air Rolls Off instead of Up Keeping Deck Cleaner...

Megs w/ 2 Knives leave a Strip of Grass Uncut even if their fiXed to the Disc...

I26
04-27-2005, 06:19 PM
i'm pretty new to this site and i had never heard of a meg-mo system until reading this thread. i do this part time and i was wondering if i could install a meg-mo on a 21" and also has anyone else done it? how is the cut on the smaller mowers with the meg-mo system attached? thanks,

todd

I to would like to know how they would fair on a 5.5hp or 6.5hp push mower with a 21" deck. I have leave debris on my lawn from the last mowing. Leaves are my downfall...i hate cleaning them up. This would definitely get me in the spirit. I am thinking about ordering some. I would run them on my older Scotts mower with the 6.5hp B&S first. I don't want to screw up my new LawnBoy.

John Gamba
04-28-2005, 08:02 AM
I to would like to know how they would fair on a 5.5hp or 6.5hp push mower with a 21" deck. I have leave debris on my lawn from the last mowing. Leaves are my downfall...i hate cleaning them up. This would definitely get me in the spirit. I am thinking about ordering some. I would run them on my older Scotts mower with the 6.5hp B&S first. I don't want to screw up my new LawnBoy.

Call Roy to find out.
John

I26
04-28-2005, 06:13 PM
I sent email. This was his response

"We are going to do some testing for a mo. Check back then as now we don't sell them for the 21 type mowers. SORRY"

Kinda confusing since he has this posted on the website:
Q: I have a 3.5hp push mower. Can I use the Meg-Mo™ System on it?
A: No. You must have at least a 5hp mower.

We'll just have to wait and see. :sleeping:

bobbygedd
08-16-2005, 10:17 PM
here it is.......

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks Bobby
I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to deal with leaves. When I did this ten years ago, I just blew them to the center of the yard and bagged them charging by the hour. I really want to be more efficient and profitable now. I guess I'll still have to buy a bagger for my 36 but Meg-Mos are now on the shopping list.

westplainslawn
08-29-2005, 07:01 PM
i would not recommend them on a 21 inch walk behind. i put some on my snapper 26 inch walk behind with a 7.5 intek motor on it. it works o.k., but the darn blade is extremely heavy. it really does add a lot of weight to the mower. i know it probably does not strain the motor, but engaging the blade really pulls on the engine. i will probably just use it during leaf season.

John Gamba
08-29-2005, 07:21 PM
i would not recommend them on a 21 inch walk behind. i put some on my snapper 26 inch walk behind with a 7.5 intek motor on it. it works o.k., but the darn blade is extremely heavy. it really does add a lot of weight to the mower. i know it probably does not strain the motor, but engaging the blade really pulls on the engine. i will probably just use it during leaf season.

Take two blades off and try that :D

John

Meg-Mo
08-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Sorry the test blades just did not work good . There for we are not going back to selling blades for the 21" type mowers.