PDA

View Full Version : Scrub

Roadside Mower
01-06-2005, 07:38 PM
I think this is the finest Green Industry forum that I have ever come across. I have been working with the Municipal side of horticlture and lawn care for a long time... too long. I am starting a part time LCO business this spring with the hopes of continuing full time after I retire from my full time job in three years or so. The business will be legit from day one. (License, liability insurance, quarterly taxes to pay, deliver clean dependable work) In other words I want to put my good name on every customer's property. Now pardon my ignorance but someone define a Scrub for me. From what I have read throughout this site I have come to one conclusion... Legit: GOOD :) Scrub: BAD :angry: Did I get it right?

Thanks

HOOLIE
01-07-2005, 01:51 AM
Generally, someone that isn't legit (business license, taxes, insurance). And may or may not charge below market prices. That's my take on it, anyway.

out4now
01-07-2005, 02:03 AM
"Scrub" means different things to different people. No insurance, no lic, not paying taxes seems to be the general definition. The term lowballer gets thrown around alot too. There are different takes on this term. I consider a lowballer someone that is dumping on the price below cost just to get some work but others say a lowballer is someone that underbid them. Jobs are priced at what people think they are worth and if a guy doesn't estimate his time or expenses well he will come in low and after enough time will be out of business if the practices don't change. Scrubs come and go though and may have a regualr job and do it for pocket change and hurt the industry by underpricing"lowballing" jobs and then the public comes to expect those prices as a standard that legitimate LCO's can't match because they pay taxes, insurance etc.