PDA

View Full Version : Super bowl lawn

caz1
01-06-2005, 09:37 PM
I was watching the local news tonight and they had a little spot about the new turf that they are putting down for the super bowl. The turf is coming from Georgia I think it's bermuda grass, They also said that this turf has been gromed for this years super bowl for the last year and a half. Now this is what floored me the lawn mower the NFL is using for the grass cost $45,000 dollars that is not a typo and its the only mower that can go on the grass. I have a hard time undrstanding why anyone would spend this time a money on something that a bunch of guys are going to tear up with there cleats I don't no maybe its for the way i9t looks on tv but I know nobody will be saying 6 months for now man that grass at the super bowl sure looked good man $45,000 grand for a lawn more if you had to buy a lawnmower for that much how much would you charge to do a football feild :waving:

grass-scapes
01-06-2005, 09:46 PM
45000 per mow. Pay off the mower and then Start a specialty Football field service.

ThreeWide
01-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Last month I heard George Toma, the head NFL field consultant speak about various topics one of which was the Super Bowl.

The NFL literally spends millions of dollars developing candidates for Super Bowl turf each year. They ususally grow a few different fields in different areas of the country and then let George pick which one is used.

In the past, they have loaded the fields in trucks for shipping across the country. This time the field of choice was located in Georgia, which is relatively close to Jacksonville.

The field this year is bermuda base (normally GN-1 or Princess-77 I cannot recall) overseeded with a mixture of perennial rye and kentucky bluegrass.

Also, realize that the NFL is also reconstructing one local high school and one local college field from complete scratch just for Super Bowl practice areas. All of that money for 2 days of practice sessions.

Those local schools are clearly the benefactors of what the Super Bowl leaves behind.

For what the fields cost as a whole, 45k for a mower is a drop in the bucket.

out4now
01-06-2005, 10:07 PM
The first row of fans will pay for the mower.

Brianj
01-06-2005, 10:11 PM
i live in jacksonville and they are installing that new turf this week, the town is going crazy.. 45000 for the mower wow, better just cut all by it self for that price lol

Chisolm Trail Landscape
01-07-2005, 10:15 AM
I just happen to meet the guy who grew this grass for the field! His company is in Athens, GA and has been in business for many many years and won all sorts of awards. It is strictly a ground cover wholesale company that ships ground cover all over the country. He has a phd in hort. from the University of GA and is one talker and salesman that's for sure. I met him at a wedding I went to about 5 weeks ago there in Athens. We will probably use his ground cover plants once we start the business up and do plantings.

Chisolm Trail Landscape
01-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Actually, sorry about my mistake! The person I met didn't grow the grass, he gave help with growing the grass but his company is installing the grass. His company is called
" Classic Ground Cover, Inc ".