PDA

View Full Version : all you open trailer guys???

CURB APPEAL NC
01-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Where do you keep your bp blower(s) with an open trailer to keep them secure, safe out of the weather. I am setting up my trailer and this is the only thing im having a prob. with. I just bought the redmax 8000 and need a place to store it from THIEVES!

newbomb
01-06-2005, 10:41 PM
There is a company call trimmer trap that makes all kinds of racks and security items for lawn trailers. If you do a search for trimmer trap Im sure it will find their web site. It is probably www.trimmertrap.com

cleancutccl
01-06-2005, 10:49 PM
put an lockable expanded metal box across the front of you trailer for gas cans, trimmer line, water jug, bp blowers, etc.

impactlandscaping
01-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Double blower rack from Jungle Jim's: www.junglejimsap.com
Blower covers for extra weather protection: www.wechapps.com

the scaper
01-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Well I'm A little differant than most as I pull my 14ft trailer with a chevy express van so I keep all the hand held stuff in the van, have a bench seat in back for my workers and everything. Nothing but mowers on my trailer. Works great for me.

andersonmowing23
01-06-2005, 11:54 PM
I put everything in the back of the truck. Built my own holder, works perfect nothing moves holds my bp blower and two weedeaters and two cycle gas can

LLandscaping
01-07-2005, 12:16 AM
We use TrimmerTrap racks, they make lockable racks for blowers and trimmers.

Soupy
01-07-2005, 06:37 AM
I also use trimmer trap for BP and trimmers. They have a place for a small lock which works great for short periods away from trailer. Equipment is stored inside at night.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-07-2005, 08:44 AM
I use a rack from Buyers products and it can be locked. Last year the truck I used had a camper shell on it and if it started to rain i put all the handheld equipment in it and then at night it is stored in a building

walker-talker
01-07-2005, 10:03 AM
I built this rack for my trailer last year. I keep blower locked up in there...with tool box.

Soupy
01-07-2005, 11:49 AM
I built this rack for my trailer last year. I keep blower locked up in there...with tool box.

I want one of those! Do you have the plans for that?

Lux Lawn
01-07-2005, 12:02 PM
I have a basket on the front of my trailer almost like Walker-Talkers but most of the time I put my backpacks in the back of the truck.

Rollacosta
01-07-2005, 12:13 PM
overhere all equipmant has to be taken out of the truck or trailer everyday and locked away or it will not be there in the morning

imograss
01-07-2005, 12:41 PM
I keep mine on the trailer locked with chain thats has one end welded to the trailer and the other end locks to a stationary link with a padlock.http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=79078&page=2&pp=10

walker-talker
01-07-2005, 06:13 PM
I want one of those! Do you have the plans for that?
No plans....I just scribbled it on paper and that was about it. I used 1.5" square tubing....I would recommend going smaller.....it has to weigh over 200 pounds....adding a lot of tongue weight. You better have at least a 3/4 ton truck. Even with mine it squats a little.

TotalCareSolutions
01-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Well I'm A little differant I keep all the stuff in the van, Nothing but mowers on my trailer. .

Do you ever do any landscaping, you know other than mow? If so, how do you manage?

Mo Green
01-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Very nice work on that box Walker Talker. I thought a bout building one something like that for my trailer.

the scaper
01-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Do you ever do any landscaping, you know other than mow? If so, how do you manage?
Yes we do, we have the materials delivered if needed.

Turfdude
01-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Unload all equipment daily & put in our shop (pole barn) at night w/ alrm system. Yard is locked & trailers backed up to bay doors. Trucks locked too.

coastallandscapesolutions
01-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Check out GreenTouch racks too. You can order them online at Northern Tools. I liked them better then some of the others out there when I had the open trailers.

matthew horner
01-07-2005, 10:45 PM
I also drive a Van, I would highly reccomend it. Its a little sluggish, but I smile when it rains and EVERYTHING except the mowers are dry and safe. Its a Ford 350 van with the 351 Windsor. Great top end for a van, but sluggish on pulls till it gets going. But overall a real work horse.
Matt

TotalCareSolutions
01-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Vans are GREAT! for pool guys, painters, delivery people, FTD etc. etc. I just don't see it for the true landscaper. Maybe just startin out...but it seems silly your guys climbin in and out, steppin over the equiptment. The smell of gas. All that stuff packed inside?

What about pinestraw, rock, dirt, sod, or just having to take some crap off a job...it's gotta fit in the van? :help:

A box truck I can see, but a VAN?

blair smock
01-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Not exactly out of the weather but it is locked up and easy to get to, not the best picture but you get the idea.

blair smock
01-07-2005, 11:36 PM
better view from side,

Soupy
01-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Bliar, that would had look a whole lot better with red trimmer traps. Would had blended with the Exmark great and they have one hand removal. It looks like you need to pull a whole lot of pins just to get you equipment off.

Vans are great for Fert and Squirt rigs. I would make sure I had a diesel though.

Soupy
01-08-2005, 12:46 AM
Blair, How many customers do you have? That looks like a whole lot of new fancy toys.

splatz100
01-08-2005, 12:49 AM
Blair, What size is that trailer??

blair smock
01-08-2005, 01:09 AM
Blair, How many customers do you have? That looks like a whole lot of new fancy toys.

17 commercial accounts, 3 Cemeteries, Looking to add about 10 more accounts this spring. Part time last year looking to go full if I can get some health issues worked out. If not may have to wait another year.

Blair, What size is that trailer?? 6'6 x10' (really like the size, easy to get in and out of biz parks etc)

Comment on trimmer trap= I had one but did not like how it fitted with my trailer, to high for the sides,

Soupy
01-08-2005, 01:31 AM

17 commercial accounts, 3 Cemeteries, Looking to add about 10 more accounts this spring. Part time last year looking to go full if I can get some health issues worked out. If not may have to wait another year.

Blair, What size is that trailer?? 6'6 x10' (really like the size, easy to get in and out of biz parks etc)

Comment on trimmer trap= I had one but did not like how it fitted with my trailer, to high for the sides,

How do you keep everything looking brand new? or did you trade off all your old equipment for a complete new setup. I will say a pray for good health for you.

By the way, trimmer traps mount on the side of the rails, not on top. It should have not been to tall. You could have shorten them with a good hack saw too. I would go nuts pulling those pins all day, but it looks like you only have to pull them 20 times a week. If you like them, I like them. They do look sweet!

Best wishes, and good health....

the scaper
01-08-2005, 01:54 AM
Vans are GREAT! for pool guys, painters, delivery people, FTD etc. etc. I just don't see it for the true landscaper. Maybe just startin out...but it seems silly your guys climbin in and out, steppin over the equiptment. The smell of gas. All that stuff packed inside?

What about pinestraw, rock, dirt, sod, or just having to take some crap off a job...it's gotta fit in the van? :help:

A box truck I can see, but a VAN?
how much pine straw are you fitting in the back of your pickup totalecare? Rock, dirt, sod? As was mentioned in a earlier post, these things can be delivered- even for free by some distributers. Unless of course one is only doing small jobs and fitting everything on the back of the truck and going down the road like Jed clampet. Pickups are great, no doubt, I'm looking at a f-350 right now for a back up, but when push comes to shove and it starts raining on the workers and hand helds are hanging out on the trailer , the benifits of a nice heavy duty van can't be beat. As I always say though, to each his own!! :D

Soupy
01-08-2005, 02:09 AM
how much pine straw are you fitting in the back of your pickup totalecare? Rock, dirt, sod? As was mentioned in a earlier post, these things can be delivered- even for free by some distributers. Unless of course one is only doing small jobs and fitting everything on the back of the truck and going down the road like Jed clampet. Pickups are great, no doubt, I'm looking at a f-350 right now for a back up, but when push comes to shove and it starts raining on the workers and hand helds are hanging out on the trailer , the benifits of a nice heavy duty van can't be beat. As I always say though, to each his own!! :D

I would much rather have my handhelds get rained on then my mowers. Handhelds have simple carburetors to clean, and dry out faster and don't rust. I don't see the big deal. If you are that worried about it, then you should have an enclosed trailer.

I'm not dissing vans. Like I mentioned a couple of post up. Vans do have their place in lawn care. One being Fert and Squirt rigs. They would be great for large crew (over 3 men) transportation too.

fairwayCuts
01-08-2005, 02:47 AM
Last year i didn't really have anything for my blower, line trimmer, gas cans etc. All I ended up doing was bungee cording the stuf to the trailer. Thank god nothing got stolen. For christmas I got some trimmertrap racks (TT-2, BR-1, and a line spool rack), and a landscaping box. Cant wait to set the stuff up to see how it looks!!! :D

the scaper
01-08-2005, 03:27 AM
I would much rather have my handhelds get rained on then my mowers. Handhelds have simple carburetors to clean, and dry out faster and don't rust. I don't see the big deal. If you are that worried about it, then you should have an enclosed trailer.

I'm not dissing vans. Like I mentioned a couple of post up. Vans do have their place in lawn care. One being Fert and Squirt rigs. They would be great for large crew (over 3 men) transportation too.
No problem Soupy, I'm not worried in the least, I was just responding to another poster who seemed a little confused about the benies of a van (such as you mentioned) and the easy way to carry out a simple installation or cleanup. As for the carburetors drying out faster and rust issues, I cant say that i've had any experience with that but i'm sure you are correct . Best regards ~ scaper

grass_cuttin_fool
01-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Just a little tip that works for trimmers, a plastic bag you get from a coveinance store will serve well if you get caught in a rain storm. Just slide it over the engine and tie the loose ends in a knot around the trimmer shaft. I know that a blower is too big to do that but maybe a larger bag from wally world or some other department store would keep the rain off it

Soupy
01-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Just a little tip that works for trimmers, a plastic bag you get from a coveinance store will serve well if you get caught in a rain storm. Just slide it over the engine and tie the loose ends in a knot around the trimmer shaft. I know that a blower is too big to do that but maybe a larger bag from wally world or some other department store would keep the rain off it

If they are not hot. Maybe just a trash bag for the BP.

Soupy
01-08-2005, 08:31 AM
No plans....I just scribbled it on paper and that was about it. I used 1.5" square tubing....I would recommend going smaller.....it has to weigh over 200 pounds....adding a lot of tongue weight. You better have at least a 3/4 ton truck. Even with mine it squats a little.

Yes, I have a 3/4 ton diesel. How much did it cost you to build? What did you use for the hinge? And do you have the door open towards the truck or the trailer?

walker-talker
01-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Yes, I have a 3/4 ton diesel. How much did it cost you to build? What did you use for the hinge? And do you have the door open towards the truck or the trailer?
It cost me right around $150 in material, but keep in mind that steel has gone up probably about 300% since then. I think I paid around $16 for a 24ft stick of the square tubing. I did another project a year later (about 1.5 months ago) and the same stick of steel cost around $42....it's crazy. The expanded metal was $50 for a 4' X 8' sheet. I had to use 1.5.....but had to pay for 2 of course. I used about 50ft of square tubing. The hinge is a piano style hinge from Home Depot. I just welding it on there, but it's going to have to be replaced this year some time. It's just too thin. Also, in the pic you see I have two steel chains acting as a stop. Just use one...two is overkill. Also, if I had to do it all over again, I would design the door different. Now, when it is folded in the up position it is actually on the inside of the cage. If I get a strap from my blower caught underneath the door it won't close all the way. It gets real frustrating. I put it just high enough so that my 21" mower will clear underneath the cage. The top rack was designed to hold seed and fertilizer, but it's still a little too high. I usually keep gas cans inside. The door opens towards the truck. There was a user on here that had a similar design. His was a little smaller and had no door on it. Where the door was suppose to be, faced the trailer. He said he hated and was going to turn it around and add a door. His is where I got the idea for the "spice rack" on the top. Usually when I go out to do a seed job or fertilizer, I will throw the material in the back of the truck just for ease of unloading. The more chem app jobs I have, the more I can see myself using the spice rack. Let me know when you get ready to build yours, I might be able to help answering more questions.

Do you have a welder?

Carolina Cutter
01-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Where do you keep your bp blower(s) with an open trailer to keep them secure, safe out of the weather. I am setting up my trailer and this is the only thing im having a prob. with. I just bought the redmax 8000 and need a place to store it from THIEVES!

Here...I will try and post a pic of what I do...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=89493

Soupy
01-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Matt, I have a little 110 mig, but I'm not a very good welder at all. I do have a good Friend that is a welder and I bought the welder for him to use. I also own a big (on a dolly)gas welder for cutting and heating.

I will most likely get the materials and cut everything and maybe lay it out for my friend to weld.

Can I just use 2" or smaller angle iron. I put a 36" Toro sideways at the front of my trailer so I will have to work around that. I wonder If I can mount it to over hang the trailer "A" frame and still be able to access it easy enough.

Four C. Landscaping
01-09-2005, 04:14 PM
I keep mine in the front seat of my truck and truck locked.