PDA

View Full Version : putting signs up for a realtor?

grass disaster
01-06-2005, 11:32 PM
i have received a message on my phone from a realtor agency that i cut lawn for.They were wondering if i would be interested in putting up sign for them. that was all they mentioned, i have yet to call them back.

what i was wondering is anyone have experience doing this. i wonder how much you think it pays.lastly but not least how do you get those signs in the ground when it's frozen(MN). with an ice auger??

they must think i have nothing better to do in the winter :cool2:

scaglawnsnj
01-06-2005, 11:35 PM
i have received a message on my phone from a realtor agency that i cut lawn for.They were wondering if i would be interested in putting up sign for them. that was all they mentioned, i have yet to call them back.

what i was wondering is anyone have experience doing this. i wonder how much you think it pays.lastly but not least how do you get those signs in the ground when it's frozen(MN). with an ice auger??

they must think i have nothing better to do in the winter :cool2:

go for it charge 25.00 a sign **** i would jump on that a few hours a day couple hundred for beer....suck it up the contract will last longer maybe

i_plant_art
01-07-2005, 12:35 AM
it could also be a good way to get a foot in the door with them and many other realators. years ago i did work for one realator and now work for as many as 50 at one point and time throughout the year, as well as got to meet the commercial sales people as well and have a foot in the door with them. it might pay out more in the long run than you would think. at least call them back and check it out. heck it might just be a ploy to see if you will call them back then when u do they want landscape work done just using the sign thing as a decoy to find someone reputable and someone who will rtn calls. i have heard its hard for realators to find good quality contractors in all aspects. so u never know what they are up to .

grass disaster
01-07-2005, 03:44 AM
i'll have to give them a call. after all it may pay better than cutting their lawn, but i doubt it. payup

DSIM
01-07-2005, 09:09 AM
I was thinking of doing this same thing. I have a couple of realtors that live closeby and was going to call them and inquire about this.

Let me know if you find out how much it pays. thanks.

FrankenScagMachines
01-07-2005, 10:52 AM
First, I would NEVER work for a realtor EVER! Way too condescending and snobby. MOST of them are anyway. I've never worked for one that did not give me lots of trouble and try to weasle out of payment one way or another. One flat out cussed me out one time after he realized that his client's payment for lawn care was late getting to me (realtor hired me to do the lawn at a vacant house, the realtor was to send the bill to the owner of the house who had moved elsewhere. It was a mistake for me to let him be the middle man though). that was a nightmare, i got some of my money but only about half of it. It wasn't enough to make it worth the trouble of chasing it down and i didn't even want to talk to the guy again for fear I would blow up! Other horror stories too. bottom line is this- I will never work for a realtor unless everything is paid in full in advance of the work being done. And if they write a check they will have to wait for it to be cleared before i begin work! Sorry to stereotype but they have earned it- realtors are, for the most part, the biggest jerks around in my town.

back to the signs- it could be easy and profitable. You wouldn't need the trailer full of gear to do it, so your cost is pretty low. Yeah i'd say $25 a pop unless you gotta drive way out to get to the place. Still I don't trust realtors and I would firmly state that payment must be made in advance (but thats just me, go by your instinct if you want its your hard earned money).

Good luck with this one.

Lux Lawn
01-07-2005, 12:43 PM
If you have the time then yeah do it it may pay off for you in the long run if you are to busy then just tell them you got a lot going on right now.

Take a #5 hammer that might do the trick.

bobbygedd
01-07-2005, 01:15 PM
i do work for one. my wife works there. they have a guy that only puts up signs. i think it is awesome working for them. the reasons: the houses are always vacant, nobody there to make sure u came a certain day, nobody there to complain if u cut corners. i get alot of extras. i hear this sometimes" do whatever you think will make it sell faster." i like it, and always get paid

Del9175
01-07-2005, 06:40 PM
I do this for a realtor. I get paid $30 to put them up and $30 to take them down. The realtor I do this for sells most of her house's in developments that don't allow these types of signs so I don't really put up to many a year for her. I had considered contacting other offices and trying to work a deal with them, but I have enough other things to do instead.

geogunn
01-07-2005, 07:12 PM
they must think i have nothing better to do in the winter

personally if I were in the frozen north, I'd rather ice fish or ride snow mobiles. but I'd also like to eat so I'd return their call.

as for setting the signs (assuming it's a serious question), use a breaker bar to chip out the frozen turf, then set as usual.

GEO

PLM-1
01-07-2005, 07:24 PM
my mom was a realtor i used to put her signs up along with many other agents. depending on what type of sign it is i charged $45 put up and $45 to take it down for the large wooden post sign. $20 up $20 down for the step in signs. I also stored a lot of realtors' signs and charged at least $20/ month for storage. If they had more than 10 or 15 signs i would charge more. Some realtors have the large "Highway/Commercial" sign and i would chage $100 up and $100 down...those are a PITA! Hope this helped!

grass disaster
01-07-2005, 07:46 PM
i gave them a call.

the lady said they would pay $15 to put them up and $10 to take them down. For out of towner's they would pay $25 to put up & $20 to take down. she said i could probably negotiates the price with the owner an probably get more if I wanted.

i'm sure i could get $20 and $15 if I wanted.

she said they had about 30 signs since last april so i figured that would be about $1000.

i forgot to ask her how big the signs are, or how they set them in the winter but i'm sure it's not too difficult.

i just don't know if i want the job. yes, now in the winter it would be ok but in the spring and in the summer i just have too much on my plate.

i' am currently working OT at my full time job. i think it might be too much of a pain????

MMLawn
01-07-2005, 11:26 PM
My company cuts grass and maintains lawns...and we do it well I might add :rolleyes: which means..

we don't clean gutters, power wash anything, hang others Christmas tree lights and we don't put up signs...we cut grass :cool2:

geogunn
01-07-2005, 11:40 PM
i'm sure i could get $20 and $15 if I wanted.

I'd do it if I were you. placing the signs and removing them wouldn't be like each required an apt. to do.

cha-ching!

GEO payup

Likestomow
01-08-2005, 12:58 PM
i gave them a call...i'm sure i could get $20 and $15 if I wanted... i figured that would be about $1000... i think it might be too much of a pain????

This post is great entertainment! Mr. GrassMaster-LLC is having some fun.

It's seems clear that he is flattered with this opportunity, but he's too busy.

Here's an idea... post the city and company and I bet several people here would take the job... even if they were too busy. If it's Mankato, I know someone who is ready right now.

mowin at the lake
01-08-2005, 01:54 PM
thanks to one of our Realtors... we have a customer in the top 10 richest in the USA.
Not all Realtors are bad...

grass disaster
01-08-2005, 03:21 PM
it's actually in Lonsdale, anyone hear of it?