PDA

View Full Version : Ferris And Encore

afftandem
01-07-2005, 12:42 AM
Dont hear too much on these two.. im considering buying around a 52" rider... any tetimonys for these two?? what are their quality of cut? do they seem to run into problems? would you purchase either and if so which one??

all ferris
01-07-2005, 01:18 AM
I've never had a encore. ferris makes a pretty killer 52" 23hp walkbehind.

cgland
01-07-2005, 01:40 AM
We have 2 52" 23hp Ferris W/B's and they kick a$$. Great cut, very maneuverable and almost impossible to turf with. Do a search for my name I think I have a couple of pics posted of them.

Chris

out4now
01-07-2005, 01:44 AM
There's a few guys on here running Encores and I think Frankenscagmachines runs Ferris. Do a search, I think he has talked about the Ferris machines in detail before.

KERRTURF
01-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Last year was the first full year of running my Ferris IS1000Z. It is a 52" with a 23 HP Kaw. So far, I love the machine. Cut quality is as good as any other, and the suspension really does make a difference.

rodfather
01-07-2005, 09:42 AM
You're right, who is Encore?

Anyway, we've had like 20 or so Ferris machines over the past 11 years or so...very reliable units. No complaints.

out4now
01-07-2005, 12:21 PM
You're right, who is Encore?

Anyway, we've had like 20 or so Ferris machines over the past 11 years or so...very reliable units. No complaints.

Encore is the company that came out of Exmark. He was a co-founder of exmark. There was a thread about the similarities and differences between the two. Here is the story from the Encore site. http://www.encoreequipment.com/pages/pages03/about.html

cgland
01-07-2005, 04:41 PM
I think he was kidding!

rodfather
01-07-2005, 05:41 PM
I think he was kidding!

Is who kidding?

Travis Followell
01-07-2005, 07:40 PM
To answer your question I think both are pretty good mowers. The Ferris has suspension and that would really be a big help on rougher ground and would also allow you to mow faster in some places. I find it strange that the guy that owns Encore co founded Exmark and here Exmark is the #1 selling brand of mowing equipment and Encore is unheard of by a lot of people and i rarely see or hear about an Encore. I don't understand that.

rodfather
01-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Encore is unheard of by a lot of people and i rarely see or hear about an Encore. I don't understand that.

Non-existant in the NE. I have never seen one in 11 years mowing full time.

Starman
01-08-2005, 09:58 AM
I've ordered/purchased a 2005 Ferris IS500 (aka IS1500) and didn't need to think twice about it. Purchase price was about $5,500.
http://www.ferrisindustries.com/m_1500z.php

FYI: The IS500 and IS1500 Z's are the same unit.
Mulch Kits will be available in March
Stripping kits by summer

COLLINSVILLE
01-08-2005, 11:14 AM
What size did you order. Have you seen one yet?

WREBELMACHINE
01-08-2005, 11:16 PM
I have owned encore walks for years! I also have owned a ferris IS rider. In this area Encore outnumbers ferris probably about 10 to 1. If everything was equal with the dealer service I would buy an encore over the ferris. But that is just what I would do based on past experience. I will say this about both companies they both seem to be on the move and are improving there machines!

Green King
01-17-2005, 08:37 PM
I would agree with rebel on the encore outnubering ferris! I feel or at least what I have seen they are both good machines but I think the encore cuts nicer! Just my own observation!

rodfather
01-17-2005, 09:32 PM
I have owned encore walks for years! I also have owned a ferris IS rider. In this area Encore outnumbers ferris probably about 10 to 1. If everything was equal with the dealer service I would buy an encore over the ferris. But that is just what I would do based on past experience. I will say this about both companies they both seem to be on the move and are improving there machines!

10 to 1? WTF is Encore btw...do they exist east of the Mississippi? Ferris has a HUGE line of commercial mowers in WB's and Z's all through the US. I wouldn't know a Encore mower if I fell over one.

Travis Followell
01-17-2005, 09:46 PM
10 to 1? WTF is Encore btw...do they exist east of the Mississippi? Ferris has a HUGE line of commercial mowers in WB's and Z's all through the US. I wouldn't know a Encore mower if I fell over one.
If you've never seen one then check them out at www.encoreequipment.com.

rodfather
01-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Thanks Travis...they are basically home owner stuff. WB's only go up to 48" and Z's 60"...kind of what I figured.

packerbacker
01-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Thanks Travis...they are basically home owner stuff. WB's only go up to 48" and Z's 60"...kind of what I figured.

No they are not homeowner stuff. They used to have 52s and 60s for WBs and they decided to go towards a more larger commercial base by beefing up there Z turns and selling more of them.

The WBs are commercial grade and VERY easy to work on compared to an exmark or bunton.

Just to let you know how well they are made I have a 36 inch WB that is 11 years old! Original motor, not a crack anywhere on the deck or in the metal. They are well made pieces of equipment that sell very well in the midwest.

Starman
01-17-2005, 10:25 PM
What size did you order. Have you seen one yet?
I'll be getting the 48" Ferris 21HP Kawasaki V-Twin IS1500 ZTR. Delivery is expected in approx 4 - 6 weeks. My choice was made by 1. local dealer's reputation 2. Ferris's reputation 3. Suspension system. 4. Tech specs. One downside to this Ferris model that I foresee is its small 6 gallon gas tank.

Green King
01-18-2005, 12:16 AM
The encore prowler goes up to a 72" cut and uses a shaft drive mower deck! But up until about 2 years ago there was no ferris mowers running around here. Seems to me all the brands have regions in which they show up.

rodfather
01-18-2005, 09:01 AM
The WBs are commercial grade and VERY easy to work on compared to an exmark or bunton.

I saw their website, they're homeowner. Period. Ok, next question. WTF is bunton???

packerbacker
01-18-2005, 10:29 AM
I saw their website, they're homeowner. Period. Ok, next question. WTF is bunton???

LOL! So your going to judge something by a website instead of taking peoples words for it?

A bunton is another brand of mower here in the midwest but it must be a homeowner mower since you have never heard of it...right...? :rolleyes:

http://www.bunton.com/

rodfather
01-18-2005, 10:34 AM
A bunton is another brand of mower here in the midwest but it must be a homeowner mower since you have never heard of it...right...? :rolleyes:

http://www.bunton.com/

Not at all. It's just that bunton is virtually nonexistant in the Northeast and I've never seen one before is all.

packerbacker
01-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Not at all. It's just that bunton is virtually nonexistant in the Northeast and I've never seen one before is all.

Why do you think Enocre is a homeowner mower?

TMlawncare
01-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Rodfather, I generally agree with many of your statements on the forum, but you are way off base on this one. The owner of Encore did co-found Exmark, their factories are across the street from one another in Beatrice, NE. The Exmark R&D people even told me that with so many mower manufactors in a town of 15000 they often share some of the common parts when someone runs short. There are more commercial mower companies in Beatrice then any place in the world. Yes, Encore builds a couple homeowner models, all the rest of their product line is strickly commercial. Do some more research, look at their articulating mid mount ztr. I personally use Exmark,DC and walker but I am impressed with some of the things Encore is doing.

packerbacker
01-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Rodfather, I generally agree with many of your statements on the forum, but you are way off base on this one. The owner of Encore did co-found Exmark, their factories are across the street from one another in Beatrice, NE. The Exmark R&D people even told me that with so many mower manufactors in a town of 15000 they often share some of the common parts when someone runs short. There are more commercial mower companies in Beatrice then any place in the world. Yes, Encore builds a couple homeowner models, all the rest of their product line is strickly commercial. Do some more research, look at their articulating mid mount ztr. I personally use Exmark,DC and walker but I am impressed with some of the things Encore is doing.

Alot of companies build homeowner products, John Deere is a perfect example! And companies that make trimmers and blowers have a homeowner line, ECHO, Sthil and Redmax to name a few. I dont know of anything Encore makes for an average homeowner but most companies do and to say its bad is being misinformed about their product.

rodfather
01-18-2005, 12:42 PM
I said that because upon my first view of their WB's, I noticed the absence of front deck, anti-scalp rollers or casters.

packerbacker
01-18-2005, 12:47 PM
I said that because upon my first view of their WB's, I noticed the absence of front deck, anti-scalp rollers or casters.

I dont know of any 48 that have anti scalp rollers on them . The only size mowers i have ever seen them on were 52 inch and above and dont all WBs have casters on the front?

rodfather
01-18-2005, 12:50 PM
...and the fact their largest WB was only 48" is all.

rodfather
01-18-2005, 12:53 PM
I have a Ferris DD Hydro WB that has a anti-scalp roller on the front of the deck exactly between the front wheels. I would guess it is about 5 or 6 inches long.

packerbacker
01-18-2005, 12:57 PM
...and the fact their largest WB was only 48" is all.

So what? Lots of companies ONLY USE 48 inch WBs. Does that make them a homeowner level company? I dont have anything bigger then a 48. Doesnt make me any less of a company then you or the next guy.

TMlawncare
01-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Exmark is one of the only companies I know that puts anti scalp rollers on their 48". I have a 48" scag and it doesn't have any type of anti scalp and I have never had any real problems. If you look at scags 52" you see the rollers to help get them through the contours.

packerbacker
01-18-2005, 12:58 PM
I have a Ferris DD Hydro WB that has a anti-scalp roller on the front of the deck exactly between the front wheels. I would guess it is about 5 or 6 inches long.

Whats the deck size?

packerbacker
01-18-2005, 12:59 PM
Exmark is one of the only companies I know that puts anti scalp rollers on their 48". I have a 48" scag and it doesn't have any type of anti scalp and I have never had any real problems. If you look at scags 52" you see the rollers to help get them through the contours.

Buntons dont have one either on their 48s. I dont see how not having one makes them a "homeowner" company.

rodfather
01-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Whats the deck size?

It's a 48" with a 17 hp Kawi.

rodfather
01-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Doesnt make me any less of a company then you or the next guy.

Of course not. And I didn't say that or imply it either. As usual John, you want to start another arguement...ciao

packerbacker
01-18-2005, 01:03 PM
It's a 48" with a 17 hp Kawi.

I never see a Ferris around here so i cant compare them but i can rattle off a few mowers here that dont have them. I really dont see the point of them on a deck that small or that light. I know Scag doesnt have them and they make a hell of a mower. Little pricey but one of the best in the biz.

packerbacker
01-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Of course not. And I didn't say that or imply it either. As usual John, you want to start another arguement...ciao

LOL whatever! All i said was you implyed that because all they have is 48 that says they cater to more of a homeowner and i said i wasnt some fly by night company. Its not an arguement. If anyone took a shot it was you by saying that about the equipment some of us use. Dont be so sensetive. I didnt call you a name and i didnt mean to hurt your wittle fweelings! OK

GreenMonster
01-18-2005, 01:11 PM
:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Easy boyz. Sometimes you guys are TOO brand loyal. It's a friggin motor with sheet metal and some blades to cut grass!!! No one said your momma wear's combat boots :p

I've noticed that several mowers seem to have a regional foothold. I've seen guys from TX saying they wouldn't be caught dead on a Toro. Around here, almost every friggin' trailer has one.

Chill out fellas, spring will be here before ya know it :cool:

packerbacker
01-18-2005, 01:19 PM
:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Easy boyz. Sometimes you guys are TOO brand loyal. It's a friggin motor with sheet metal and some blades to cut grass!!! No one said your momma wear's combat boots :p

I've noticed that several mowers seem to have a regional foothold. I've seen guys from TX saying they wouldn't be caught dead on a Toro. Around here, almost every friggin' trailer has one.

Chill out fellas, spring will be here before ya know it :cool:

LOL, honestly i couldnt care less what brand i use as long as it work well. Ive used 4-5 different brands and settled on Encore because of its price and how easy it is to work on in the field. Fixing a belt takes about 4 mins and your up and going after that.

I just think some people dont like to be accused of using 2nd rate equipment. We all work hard to buy what we can.

Mr. C
01-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Ecnore is the best price wise and it is pretty simple to put belts on. Ferris is a little bit better built and has a pretty good comercial two warranty to back it up. my tansmission went out and they replaced it with no problem. I took a little longer to get the parts than i would have liked. The warranty makes ferris the better buy for me. My Encore was stolen that why I got the Ferris.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
01-18-2005, 05:41 PM
...I seen Encore at the Landscape Ontario show last week. Didn't check them out as hard as I should of. They are currently setting up a dealer network up here and I'll be looking at th eir 26" finishing mower.

Green King
01-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Just currious but in what way is the ferris built better than encore? The encore has from what I can tell a heavier mower deck! The major components are the same for the most part.

Drew Gemma
01-19-2005, 01:30 AM
Ferris is the better unit in my area also they ahve more proven designs double belts, scalp rollers, real suspension, awesome air flow in their deck design. best air cleaners on the market, cooling fans on hydro pumps. Encore around here not even sure of it sorry. Around here it is all Exmark/Torro John Deer/Great Dane, Scag. But the last two years everybody part timers to full time multi million dollar companies have been running nothing but Ferris wb and ztr's. I bought my 500z can't wait to pick it up. Bye Bye sore back! Now around here never heard of grasshoper and walkers are rare to see anyone using wtf is a buntton all I ever seen of their junk is that plastic blue homeowner scab junk for 1500 bucks. It looks like they put shopping cart wheels on the front of it. What ever happened to the old stainless dixi chopper those things really sucked!

Jeff@SGLC.ca
01-19-2005, 01:45 AM
Encore, Dixie who? Scag, Bobcat are all rare makes to see running around. They are up here but not in abundance. We seem to have Ferris, Exmark, Toro and Walker leading the way.

Green King
01-30-2005, 11:03 PM
By the way Encore has a two year warranty on there machine and a 10 Year warranty on there mower deck!

lawn_pro
01-31-2005, 05:45 PM
Lots of encore's running around here (NE), they work great for us. As mentioned before, they are very easy to work on and hold up well. Trying to support Nebraska business a little also, so the decision to purchase a couple was easy. I have heard nothing but good things about Scag mowers.....never seen a Ferris..

ChadA
01-31-2005, 06:07 PM
To answer your question I think both are pretty good mowers. The Ferris has suspension and that would really be a big help on rougher ground and would also allow you to mow faster in some places. I find it strange that the guy that owns Encore co founded Exmark and here Exmark is the #1 selling brand of mowing equipment and Encore is unheard of by a lot of people and i rarely see or hear about an Encore. I don't understand that.

I've been looking at a ferris 52" hydro ZTR, I like the idea of the suspension. It looks like less wear of the body on those long days.

Travis Followell
01-31-2005, 08:18 PM
Suspension is really the only way to go. Your ride is so much smoother and you can go a lot faster if the conditions permit. I ran an IS3000 Ferris at the dealer the other day and it was unbelievable how smooth that thing rode going 10 mph over the rough lot and the deck is mounted to the suspension so it does not bounce so you can mow fast over rough ground.

If your looking for a 52" I would suggest that you look at the IS 1500. They are a smaller and more compact than the IS 1000 and they have 4 wheel suspension and the 1000 only has 2 wheel suspension on the front. Ferris is the way to go!