PDA

View Full Version : F350 12' Dump

scott's turf
01-07-2005, 07:17 AM
Does anyone own one of these and use it for mulch deliveries? I know it has enough volume to carry 10 yds of mulch but will it be overweight? Does anyone know the payload of this truck. I am also looking at a F450 that looks like it may suit my needs better. Thanks for you help.

-Scott

Gravel Rat
01-07-2005, 01:52 PM
What year of trucks are you looking at ?

If you plan on hauling sand and gravel go with a 450 because they can carry a load after you add the dump body to it. With a 350 by the time you add the dump body your payload will be around 3000lbs. The 350 2wds use twin I beam suspension it doesn't carry a good load worth **** if you go with a 4x4 then the monobeam front axle will carry the load better.

To answer your question better we need to know what you want todo with the truck ?

General Grounds
01-07-2005, 06:07 PM
:blob3: i own a 2001 f450 PSD with a 12' grain dump and i easily and always use this truck for mulch and it handles it fine, even pulled my CAT skid while loaded with mulch and pulled that CAT around like a toy. i also have a 1990 chevy 3500 with a 10' grain and that also handles mulch very well. tony

Gravel Rat
01-08-2005, 07:33 PM
The old 1 tons used to be the norm but now that Ford and Chev provided people with a 1.5 ton truck they are so much better than 1 ton trucks for carrying capacity.

The older 1 tons can carry a decent load but they can't stop its one of the reasons why I'am sticking with F-Superduty trucks even thou they are classed as a commercial truck where a 1 ton isn't.

My F-Superduty can carry loads so much better than my F-350s could some of the loads of lumber I used to haul on my F-350 are a piece of cake for my F-Superduty (450).

The mill owner I haul for was amazed what my old truck can carry he had to see what I had for suspension because we kept stacking on the wood his Chev 1 ton couldn't carry the same weight.

My dad has always had 1 ton trucks I have been driving 1 ton flatdeck trucks for 12 years now I know what I can safely haul and what I can not. The thing you have to watch with 1 ton duallies is don't go too far past the gvw because the braking power isn't there.

I had a friend that used to haul in this area used to put some real heavy loads on his 1 ton chev more than what I would put on my 350s. The suspension was beefed up in his chev he used to put up to 7000lbs on the Chev some loads were up to 8000lbs. Thats quite abit of weight to put on the deck of a 1 ton truck but he has driven trucks for years so he knows how to handle a heavy truck.

A landscaper friend of mine has a 1 ton dump with a grainbox he has put some heavy loads in it he is learning what he can and can't haul weight wise.

With the amount of traffic on the roads now its not worth running a undersized truck what I used todo with a 1 ton truck 8-10 years ago I wouldn't do now.