PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Emergent

sglawn
01-07-2005, 09:30 AM
What is the best pre-emergent you guys have found for fescues, and what is the best time to apply it? Thanks for the replies.

SOMM
01-07-2005, 11:32 AM
First keep in mind that we are granular applicators, thank you.

What we do for established lawns of fescue or fescue-blends that have at least 2 or more seasons established growth, is to broadcast-spreader Syngenta's Barricade-brand that's blended into our granular fertilizer, which goes on in February. Barring flood-conditions, Barricade has a 7 month span of time release. This way we can broadcast seed without mechanical-cultivation to the topsoil in the fall.

Barricade burns-down and keeps out more broadleaf weeds than most other pre-emegents, to where we've hardly needed to come back in April/May to spray for dandilions, clover or plantain. Keeping these weeds out of 90% of our lawns keeps us liking this bonus Barricade Benefit the Best !!!
We've seen this broadleaf weed control bonus benefit with Dimension straight granular and Dimension-blends, but nowhere near the reliability that Barricade provides. Costwise, we've payed more for Dimension than Barricade.

You can rennovate any time you need to with Barricade because it's only active in the first inch to inch and a half of topsoil. After you mechanically-cultivate and/or rake off this much topsoil for any stressed area, you can seedbed with fertilizer and/or seed (shady-areas NO fertilizer with seed, sunny-areas get fertilizer with seed) , add soil amendments if necessary, and
then an inch of fine hardwood mulch, especially on hillsides.

Hope that helps. We get ours through a local supplier. For more info contact your local suppliers or do a websearch. :)

SOMM
01-07-2005, 11:38 AM
We also use the same Barricade-blends on our Bermuda lawns with equal results, btw. :)

Dman1214
01-07-2005, 12:48 PM
At what rate are you putting the barricade down at? I looked at it years ago and the rate I had to use to be price competitive with PRE-M, I was not comfortable with the efficacy I would get. haven't considered since really. what is your cost/000? At what rate AI? Thank you in advance for your help. DMAN 1214

ThreeWide
01-07-2005, 10:16 PM
One of the universities (can't remember which one) tested Barricade with 0.50 lbs AI per acre in March and 0.25 lbs per acre again in May was very effective in controlling crabgrass.

So the message I took was 0.75 lbs AI per acre whether you apply it all at once or split into two applications. I believe the maximum application per year is 1.0 lbs per acre.

In my area, we have problems mostly with Poa in late Winter, then crabgrass in the Spring.

With our weather in South being so warm, I actually started on the first split of Barricade applications this week. Poa annua is coming up as we speak, which normally happens in February.

Neal Wolbert
01-09-2005, 12:31 AM
sglawn, We're not all dry applicators as mentioned. Out West most Spring Green branches do both liquid and dry...same with you? Barricade liquid is very effetive and reasonable as a pre on Northwest weed grasses. I'm pretty sure you could beat the granular price by quite a margin if you spray it on. Why not add some micros and a little treated urea at the same time and get visible responses as well?

Dman1214
01-09-2005, 08:01 AM
Nice site. Logistically, how do you apply your various "concoctions" of fertilizer? Is it accomplished with multiple tanks, on site mixing, or different routes/days for different programs? For example, your greenskeeper has all the micros and organic additives whereas the basic does not. DMAN

Neal Wolbert
01-09-2005, 01:52 PM
DMan, We batch mix NPK solution in 500 gal. tanks and dispense into lawn rigs, add water and go. We have the option, of course, to mix one rig at a time depending on what we're applying. Our base mix can be used for both lawn programs with organic micros and bio's added for "Plus" accounts. We inject synthetics at the gun when needed, i.e., blanket or spot treating weeds or insects.

sglawn
01-09-2005, 11:17 PM
i am wanting to apply a granule pre-emergent mainly to keep out the crabgrass, it is a big problem in east TN. so i can apply the barricade at .75 lbs. per acre on fescue in feb. and not have any problems with the fescue dying or having any problems? and are you guys mixing the barricade with a spring time fertilizer or can you spread it by it's self. what produces the best results? thanks for the replies.

qps
01-09-2005, 11:28 PM
i am wanting to apply a granule pre-emergent mainly to keep out the crabgrass, it is a big problem in east TN. so i can apply the barricade at .75 lbs. per acre on fescue in feb. and not have any problems with the fescue dying or having any problems? and are you guys mixing the barricade with a spring time fertilizer or can you spread it by it's self. what produces the best results? thanks for the replies.

I have used barricade with great results but I have to question the post saying that you can reseed anytime after,(maybe I misunderstood) but barricade has a long residual if I remember correctly) and I don't reseed anything until after July if applied in March. It is usually a more expensive pre-m but how much does it cost for customers with crabgrass in July??? and yes you can buy it mixed with fert. A single app. in spring a the higher rate will normally give good season long control.

ThreeWide
01-10-2005, 07:50 AM
At the 0.75 AI/acre rate, Barricade can last up to 7 months as someone said earlier in this thread.

With fescue, you ideally want the Barricade to break down by the first of September for your fall overseeding. So the time you apply Barricade dictates the rate of AI. Sounds like Feb would be the target for your area.

One of my local suppliers has Barricade impregnated with many different analysis fertilizers.