PDA

View Full Version : listen to this genius

bobbygedd
01-07-2005, 10:15 AM
i had a property i was maintaining , we were only about 3 months into the season. the home owner wanted some landscaping in addition to the mowing/fert. simple stuff, edging, mulch, a few small shrubs. i gave her a price, she price shops. she ends up using someone else for the landscaping, AND cancels me and uses him for mowing and ferts. i see the guy mowing, i stop and ask him wtf is going on. he says, " his boss quoted a price. when the homeowner wouldn't bite, he told her that he would allow his employee to use his equipment, on his free time, to make some extra money. the employee(the kid i was talking to) then quoted the client rock bottom prices, and got the job." have you EVER quoted a job, not got it, then allowed your employees to quote it, and allow them to use your equipment on your down time to make himself some extra cash? what the heck is going on around here?

desert rose gardening
01-07-2005, 10:22 AM
No, the employee should not even know about the job.

geogunn
01-07-2005, 10:23 AM
what the heck is going on around here?

KINKO BOY-- it aint going on "around here". it's only going on in NEW JERKEY.

GEO :dizzy:

rodfather
01-07-2005, 10:42 AM
That's a new one to me bobby :dizzy:

ztoro
01-07-2005, 10:44 AM
KINKO BOY-- it aint going on "around here". it's only going on in NEW JERKEY.

GEO :dizzy:

:help: ................

richard coffman
01-07-2005, 11:15 AM
that's just plain wrong in my book. am employee who doesn't have a license to do the business with a bosses equipmet in his spair time. that spells trouble. I'd sit back and give the kid enough rope to hang himself, sooner or later he'll screw up. wonder if he even has a chemical license like most of us do??can't wait to see what you do about this if anything...mabe he needs to meet mr shovel.......
Respectfully,

Richard/Owner ;)

bobbygedd
01-07-2005, 11:15 AM
That's a new one to me bobby :dizzy:
yea, the reason i brought it up is, i'm wondering if the owner does this on a regular basis, perhaps he makes money on the bids he can't get, by letting his employees service them, at a cheaper rate, and maybe charging his employees a few bucks to use his equiopment?

Lux Lawn
01-07-2005, 11:27 AM
No-There is no way my employee's are taking my equipment to go and do a side job for themselves.

lqmustang
01-07-2005, 11:46 AM
I may be a solo op, but I would never allow that to happen either. And if an employee somehow went behind my back on a job that was not landed, I would hope it payed really well, because that would become his only income. :gunsfirin

CharlieBingo
01-07-2005, 11:55 AM
A lot of companies do this,maybe even some of you guys. It's just the boss doesn't know! Happens often here. You have to watch your guys!

bobbygedd
01-07-2005, 11:58 AM
hmmmm, a little off base guys.......like i said, THE OWNER OF THE COMPANY gave the bid, client wouldn't bite, he then offered the client to use his helper, for a cheaper rate, on his day off

CharlieBingo
01-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Bobby you seem like a bright guy. Read my thread and think about it, it might not be off base. Worker knows where the bid is, Knocks on the door after the boss, boss goes boating, workers doing job, you pull up and ask what's up, he doesn't want to get in trouble he tells you the boss said it's O.K.

bobbygedd
01-07-2005, 12:19 PM
NOW I GET IT. yea, it could be. lawnboys will think of a thousand and one ways to screw themselves. if the owner was behind it, he's screwin himself. if the employee was behind it, he's screwin himself, cus someday he will want a business of his own, and he will lose all of these clients when he has to raise prices.

all degree
01-07-2005, 12:19 PM
I know of a fairly decent size tree operation in the Edison area that does just that. They let the employees do weekend work. I use them sometimes to help me out.

Kelly's Landscaping
01-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Perhaps he threw the kid 6-10 of these accounts and figures it was cheaper then giving the kid a raise and it made the employee happy. I do not agree with this. However I was so close with my last boss that had I wanted to do some work with his equipment I.E. his trucks I could have. Obviously you cannot compete with no overhead at all and he is probably working for 15-20 dollars an hour this way and thinking he has it made. As long as that kid is around you are not getting that account back. Now comes the fun part we can hear you complain about the state of the industry and how its the fault of people that came before you yet here is a wrong happened on your watch and I know this will be swept aside next time you want to rant.

bobbygedd
01-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Perhaps he threw the kid 6-10 of these accounts and figures it was cheaper then giving the kid a raise and it made the employee happy. I do not agree with this. However I was so close with my last boss that had I wanted to do some work with his equipment I.E. his trucks I could have. Obviously you cannot compete with no overhead at all and he is probably working for 15-20 dollars an hour this way and thinking he has it made. As long as that kid is around you are not getting that account back. Now comes the fun part we can hear you complain about the state of the industry and how its the fault of people that came before you yet here is a wrong happened on your watch and I know this will be swept aside next time you want to rant.
kelly, what do u mean? i don't get it.

stumper1620
01-07-2005, 02:34 PM
using my equipment no way, even if i did'nt know starting out, i'd know before he was done then he would be DONE, DONE AND DONE AGAIN:gunsfirin

J Hisch
01-07-2005, 07:02 PM
I think he let the kid do it, becasue he wanted the landscaping job. what's he really out? I would never do it, but if he got the landscape then maybe it paid off. But it is still down and dirty.

o-so-n-so
01-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Its a crazy world bobby, I had a call out last year for scape maint. weeding, pruning, mulching and weed eating. After I give this lawyer lady a price she said no way I'll pay that rate (quoted pmh rate). She then ask if she could use my helper her equipment on his off time and just pay him by the hour. I just laughed and told her he didn't have any free time.

I have had my helper make some extra cash weed eating for a regular customers neighbor though. I was gone and the customers neighbor ask the helper what he would charge to weed eat a ditch bank. (about 10 min weed eating) My guy said 20 bucks, done the job and handed me the 20 bucks as soon as I returned. I in turn handed it back to him and said keep it.

I would never allow my helper to bid on a job that I didn't get. I never loan anything that I use to earn a living with. If my equipment is running, its for my benefit.

later

coastallandscapesolutions
01-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Bobby,

You better call Tony S. to handle this matter. It isn't "business as usual"....

Soupy
01-08-2005, 01:57 AM
Bobby, you should have gotten the bosses name and called him.

None the less, you just loss a job to an illegal. I would be pizzed!

stumper1620
01-08-2005, 10:19 AM
I have had my helper make some extra cash weed eating for a regular customers neighbor though. I was gone and the customers neighbor ask the helper what he would charge to weed eat a ditch bank. (about 10 min weed eating) My guy said 20 bucks, done the job and handed me the 20 bucks as soon as I returned. I in turn handed it back to him and said keep it.

I would never allow my helper to bid on a job that I didn't get. I never loan anything that I use to earn a living with. If my equipment is running, its for my benefit.

later[/QUOTE]

i'd do the same so long as he was'nt hidding that he did it.
keep it a secret from me and he would'nt have a job anymore.

impactlandscaping
01-08-2005, 10:32 AM
A lot of companies do this,maybe even some of you guys. It's just the boss doesn't know! Happens often here. You have to watch your guys!

Exactly...a buddy of mine has a LCO here in town, and they handle about 130 properties a week-mowing only. 2 years ago, Dave was trying to figure out why the one crew was coming in so late on Thursdays. Well, I saw his guys mowing in a neighborhood where we do a lot of maint., and asked Dave when he got those accounts (3) in that area. He said "I don't have any accounts over there"...hmmm...here , these 2 guys were doing their route, and had picked up about 6 other accounts in surrounding areas, for cash money using Dave's truck, trailer, and WB's..He gave them enough rope to hang themselves by having a friend in that neighborhood approach them about mowing his lawn. They jumped right on it( it was easily a $40 cut, and they said $20..lol), only to find Dave waiting in his garage when they pulled in. Both were fired on the spot, and were told to find their own way home. This happened over about 4 weeks or so he said. They had some excuse each week why they were running behind.

Soupy
01-08-2005, 10:40 AM

later

i'd do the same so long as he was'nt hidding that he did it.
keep it a secret from me and he would'nt have a job anymore.[/QUOTE]

Unless the employee is trained to make bids. I would not allow them to make any decisions on their own.

I had one customer come out and ask a worker what it would cost to trim the bushes. He gave her a price and went back on his own time and performed the work. The customer called and left a message before he got there and asked if we could do something else for her. I didn't get the message in time and when I called her he had already been there. i confronted the worker and he had the audacity to tell me what he does on his own time is his business. He thought I was out of line for telling him he couldn't do side work. he told me that The lady came out at pacifically asked him if he could do the work. I explained to him that she thought she was hiring the company because she called, and that even so he was not permitted to solicit our customers while working for us. Some people just don't get it. He has called me several times asking me if I could use him. I laugh every time.

rodfather
01-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Exactly...a buddy of mine has a LCO here in town, and they handle about 130 properties a week-mowing only. 2 years ago, Dave was trying to figure out why the one crew was coming in so late on Thursdays. Well, I saw his guys mowing in a neighborhood where we do a lot of maint., and asked Dave when he got those accounts (3) in that area. He said "I don't have any accounts over there"...hmmm...here , these 2 guys were doing their route, and had picked up about 6 other accounts in surrounding areas, for cash money using Dave's truck, trailer, and WB's..He gave them enough rope to hang themselves by having a friend in that neighborhood approach them about mowing his lawn. They jumped right on it( it was easily a $40 cut, and they said $20..lol), only to find Dave waiting in his garage when they pulled in. Both were fired on the spot, and were told to find their own way home. This happened over about 4 weeks or so he said. They had some excuse each week why they were running behind.

If that was me, I would have looked into possibly having criminal charges brought up on them. :angry:

yrdandgardenhandyman
01-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Wouldn't letting an employee use equipment with your signage to do side work create liability problems for the owner if something bad happened such as a rock hitting a neighbors car or a child?

impactlandscaping
01-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Rod, I don't remember exactly what transpired over that whole event, but I know they were in Magistrate court. I think they were docked for their pay plus equipment costs and such for the business. I'll ask Dave when I see him. Funny thing is, one of the guys still lives around here, and calls every LCO each spring looking for a job. There are several other "idiots" that have been blacklisted around here , too. All it takes is a few phone calls after an interview to get the "truth" on some of these guys...

alpine692003
01-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Bobby - stop making topics that are non-sense, geezus..

You just come up with these ideas out of no where all the time ...

;) ;)

Dont be an attention *****

rodfather
01-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Rod, I don't remember exactly what transpired over that whole event, but I know they were in Magistrate court.

I'm sure something could be done to these characters/theives. That's stealing IMO...period

JKOOPERS
01-08-2005, 04:23 PM
i used to do it all the time when i worked for a co. another guy was cutting a nursing home on the clock using thier equipment. it happens more than you guys think.

Itsgottobegreen
01-08-2005, 07:14 PM
I let my one employee borrow one stander each week. I drop him off at his parents house on Friday night from work. Then pick him up 9 am on Saturday to go to work again. He cuts his parent house before I pick him up. We do his neighbor and the other three guys on the circle cut their own. So I know he won't get any other work. Solely do to the fact that he gets a commission if he help gets the job by handing them a business card, etc. I still do the bidding. He makes more that way and didn't have to do any work.

If I caught any of my employees using my equipment to make money. They would be fired on the spot. Own personal use, no problem. But other wise, NO!!!!

yrdandgardenhandyman
01-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Maybe this is a question for a lawyer but wouldn't someone else using the owners equipment to do side jobs, be a liability for the owner? Especially if they have the permission of the lawn company owner?
I would never let an employee do that. I might let them borrow for their own property but not to do side jobs. I've worked too hard for what equipment I do have to have someone screw it up while not making me any money.