PDA

View Full Version : fertilization program for 32 acres,please help

mowerpower
01-07-2005, 09:06 PM
I was wanting to get your expert opinions on what sort of fertilization program you would use for a 32 acre soccer field of rye, bluegrass and fescue mix. Also what would you charge for such a program. Thanks for your input !

TOTALLAWN OF KY
01-10-2005, 01:19 PM
19.95 per acre lol
man what a contract
figure out your total cost and how long it will take then charge time and materials don't loose your but on this its a large job make some money
i would try 4 apps per year ,heavy nitrogen in the fall and balanced slow release in the spring with some weed control

Pilgrims' Pride
01-10-2005, 04:58 PM
mowerpower,

Athletic fields are different than ordinary turf.
Ideally you should get a soil test and find out what drainage is like too.
Consider the wear they get during the playing season.
They need fert at different rates and it would not be unreasonable to aerate, aerate & overseed or both if your customer will allow it.
I attended a Lesco seminar some years back and one of the speakers talked about maintaining athletic fields.
It may be worthwhile to give them (lesco) a call and see what they have as recommendations.
REMEMBER KNOW MATTER HOW ENTICING IT SEEMS DON'T GIVE YOURSELF AWAY!

lawn king
01-10-2005, 08:46 PM
I would base the program on soil test results, actual sports, soccer,lacrosse,football and the schedules of activity, maintenence and irrigation. Core aeration and overseeding should be included. You will need a tractor and some implements. Good luck.

comperk
01-10-2005, 08:51 PM
A typical athletic field prescription...

Do a soil test. In most cases there isn't much to change.

Spring Aeration (overseed with bluegrass/rye blend if needed)

I would plan on 5-6 applications for the season, 5 weeks apart. 5-6 lbs. per 1000 sq/ft over the course of the season. That means about 1 lb. N per 1000 sq/ft per application.

Doing 5-6 applications really won't require expensive slow release fert. Your fequency will make up for that. Make sure to use a lower % of slow release.

Use more potassium in the Fall. This will help with root growth.

Make sure they mow correctly and water correctly. This is the biggest hurdle.

Use the typical weed control. There really shouldn't be many weeds if it has been treated in the past. 2, 4D will take care of most everything.

Plan on charging about $100-$130 per acre.

If the fields are used a lot, definitely aerate in the Fall also. 2 times per year will make a huge difference.

I hope this helps.

lawnboyCO
01-11-2005, 11:36 PM
I would charge $5,000 per app, project like that has gotta be worth my time.