PDA

View Full Version : Putting 6 ft mower on a 5 ft trailer

rbeitz
01-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Back in September I bought a Scag Turf Tiger with a 6 ft deck. the only problem is I have a 5x10 trailer. Now I don't need to haul the mower around very often but I do want to get it into the dealer for a couple of minor things.

I couldn't justify buying a bigger trailer just to haul the mower once or twice a year. And besides that, I had just bought this trailer new last spring.

So, here is what I came up with. It's not ideal but it works. I built a 12" high deck inside the trailer and used ramps to run the mower up on top.

rbeitz
01-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Here's another view....

rbeitz
01-07-2005, 11:29 PM
and one more...

rbeitz
01-07-2005, 11:32 PM
last one.....

Travis Followell
01-08-2005, 07:23 AM
Thats a good idea you came up with.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-08-2005, 07:38 AM
That is a good idea, just a little top heavy but long as you know that before you start and no more than you haul it you will be ok. I have a question? did you or the previous owner have problems with a wheel? I see a white rim on that tiger?

Mowingman
01-08-2005, 08:28 AM
The way lumber prices are, I am surprised the lumber did not cost more than a new trailer. Pretty clever idea though. :)

rbeitz
01-08-2005, 08:40 AM
That is a good idea, just a little top heavy but long as you know that before you start and no more than you haul it you will be ok. I have a question? did you or the previous owner have problems with a wheel? I see a white rim on that tiger?

I was concerned about it being too top heavy but it seems pretty stable. I don't have too far to go, I can take it nice an slow.
It had that white wheel on it when I bought it. The previous owner damaged the original and replaced it with this one. Looks like an Exmark wheel to me but I'm not sure. It's the same size as the other one and it works. I plan to paint it Scag orange one of these days.

rbeitz
01-08-2005, 08:48 AM
The way lumber prices are, I am surprised the lumber did not cost more than a new trailer. Pretty clever idea though. :)

I have about $100 tied up in lumber. I bought the trailer early last year at TSC. I was looking the other day and their prices have jumped $150 for the same trailer since then. To trade up to the bigger size would have set me back close to $500 more. Besides that it's easier to hide the lumber purchase from the CFO then it would be to slide a bigger trailer into the yard. LOL

Hacksquat
01-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Very clever.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-08-2005, 11:46 AM
looks good

rbeitz
01-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks guys.

It worked out well. I dropped it off at the Scag dealer yesterday (Passmore) and it towed very well. The trailer was very stable and the mower didn't move an inch. A bigger trailer would be nice but, I am pleased with how this worked out.

Jusmowin
01-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Better you than me haulin that, Id be looking at a 6x12 or bigger trailer. It would take one good size pot hole and that thing could slide to the side and come right of that trailer. That might work for a time or two, but if it was my equipment I wouldnt risk it! good luck

rbeitz
01-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Better you than me haulin that, Id be looking at a 6x12 or bigger trailer. It would take one good size pot hole and that thing could slide to the side and come right of that trailer. That might work for a time or two, but if it was my equipment I wouldnt risk it! good luck

I was worried about that also. Before I took it out on the road I got to thinking that those straps might not be strong enough. So, I took the straps off and put my chains and binders on it in a crisscross fashion. I took it nice and easy and it never moved an inch on the 12 mile trip over to my local Scag dealer. A bigger trailer would be nice (and I always have my eye on eBay), But, I don't plan to haul this thing around too often. Maybe once or twice a year at most.

MidSouthLawn
01-11-2005, 04:17 AM
Good idea that worked. I was a little worried about the light straps but the chain binders will hold it down...