PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizing a large yard.

yokes
01-08-2005, 01:34 PM
This will be my first year fertilizing. I am just doing dry fertilizer, weed and feed. I figure it will take three bags to do this yard, each bag cost $23.00.
The yard is around 50k sq. ft. and is flat with a few trees on it. It will take me between 30-45min. to walk it. What should I be charging for this? Also what would you charge to aerate this yard?

TOTALLAWN OF KY
01-08-2005, 02:11 PM
you need to figure out what your hourly rate is ? or charge by the sq-ft
if it was me i would charge 150 for app and 150 for aeration . i charge 140 per acre for apps and aeration kinda depends on what mood I'm in lol
time is valuable set your price and make some money ,but do a great job so good luck

James Cormier
01-08-2005, 02:42 PM
This will be my first year fertilizing. I am just doing dry fertilizer, weed and feed. I figure it will take three bags to do this yard, each bag cost $23.00.
The yard is around 50k sq. ft. and is flat with a few trees on it. It will take me between 30-45min. to walk it. What should I be charging for this? Also what would you charge to aerate this yard?

Here's a secret....you take the 3 numbers on the bag, lets say you using 19-0-6 and you add them together, that would be 25, then you take that number and x's it by your sqft, that would be 1,250. Then you divide that number by the time it will take to do the job, lets use 40 min, that 31. Then finally you take 31 and x's by 4 and you get $124.

Or, you could sit down, figure out what your cost are, like how much your pesticide insurance is, your licensing fee's are, and all your other expenses that go along with running a business, so you know how much you need to make to make a living, and set your prices that way. Buts thats a pain in the a$$ doing it that way. Much easier using the secret

i_plant_art
01-08-2005, 03:04 PM
you need to figure out what you want to charge per acre. then for multiple acres would be a little less than your per acre price. when doing smaller yards you can break it down based on sq.ft. also need to find out what is common in your area to charge for yards to be fert. have a minimum charge as well is the sq.ft. is so low that you come out with a cost of like 15 or $20 you have a minimum set higher so that yuo actually make $$. pushing a cart for now will be fine but once you get into it some you need to look into a liquid sprayer thats where you will begin to make your $$ big time.

philk17088
01-08-2005, 03:49 PM

You "figure" 3 bags ?
Do yourself a favor, go learn applicating before you hurt something.
No offense man, but your example shows so many thing that you don't know that you shouldn't even consider doing this.

Dman1214
01-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Never have I ever heard of the "secret' B-4. Is that from your Old Fox days?

James Cormier
01-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Never have I ever heard of the "secret' B-4. Is that from your Old Fox days?

It kills me, Ya know its okay for someone to come on a board like this and ask what I charge to do what I do, But how dare I ask if the guy has a license or insurance to be doing it. Then Im being negative.

BTW, the secret really sucks when your using 0-0-7 and your doing small lawns.

yokes
01-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Hey Phil, There is nothing wrong with this question. Yes I figure 3 bags because that is how many bags it will take to cover the sguare footage of this yard. I am new to fertilizing and just wanted a helpful answer not an insult and a put down. Thanks to the other guys that answered my question, it will be a big help.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-08-2005, 05:18 PM
good 1 james i have been doing it wrong all these years

KLR
01-08-2005, 06:15 PM
all lawns....$19.95

watch how fast your customer count will grow!

Dman1214
01-08-2005, 06:39 PM
It kills me, Ya know its okay for someone to come on a board like this and ask what I charge to do what I do, But how dare I ask if the guy has a license or insurance to be doing it. Then Im being negative

Jim what up with this statement?

BTW, are u going to the RF Morse meeting on the 18th? How close to Boxoboro are U? Did I already ask u this? i want to check out your trailer and aerator setup sometime (soon) Let me know.

Green Dreams
01-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Negative or not, I just give out BS answers to guys like him.

PR Fect
01-09-2005, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=James Cormier]Here's a secret....you take the 3 numbers on the bag, lets say you using 19-0-6 and you add them together, that would be 25, then you take that number and x's it by your sqft, that would be 1,250. Then you divide that number by the time it will take to do the job, lets use 40 min, that 31. Then finally you take 31 and x's by 4 and you get $124.

Hey, thats the same way we do it! Jim you really cracked us up on that one.RLMFAO]

qps
01-10-2005, 12:12 AM
all lawns....$19.95

watch how fast your customer count will grow!

You must have worked for TG... :)

qps
01-10-2005, 12:15 AM

Weed and Feed for broadleaf control.....I got a better ideal...ever heard of the weed-hound???? :dizzy:

Turf Smart
01-10-2005, 10:59 AM
YOKES:

A couple of things to address in your original question.

1. "I figure" it will take three bags. You need to know the exact square footage of the property to calculate your needs. I've never seen three bags exactly cover 50k sqft. The weed & feed I sometimes use covers 13,880sqft.per bag. That is 41,640sqft. Always refer to your labels or your salesman for help!!!
2. "Around 50K sqft." The best investment you can make if you want to grow a fertilizing business is a $50 measuring wheel. This is the first step in calculating your needs and profit.

You can start to figure your pricing once you have a grasp on your costs.

As far as aeration......here, we charge anywhere from $10-$15. per 1,000sqft.
That would equate to $500-$750. for a 50k sqft. property. Sometimes you can be a little more competitive for larger proprtires, but $150.00 as someone previously posted, is ridiculous!

TOTALLAWN OF KY
01-10-2005, 01:13 PM
You say ridiculous??? 750.00 for aerating a acre and a 10th man o man I'm moving to new York
Our prices will vary from state to state but geez o pete
I would be MR.Aeration if thats the case!!!
just got back from some door to door aeration sales
i just sold a 100000 sq ft job for 6 million dollars the guy paid up front
thanks Mr. turf smart lol

Turf Smart
01-10-2005, 01:51 PM
You say ridiculous??? 750.00 for aerating a acre and a 10th man o man I'm moving to new York
Our prices will vary from state to state but geez o pete
I would be MR.Aeration if thats the case!!!
just got back from some door to door aeration sales
i just sold a 100000 sq ft job for 6 million dollars the guy paid up front
thanks Mr. turf smart lol

I would have bid 6.5 million!!! :p lol
I guess you low-ballers have all the luck! :D
I posted the going rate/M in our market. I did say that larger jobs would be more competitive than $500-$750. I hate to see money left on the table payup payup
You would get tons of work around here for $3.00/M for aeration.
I would love to hear your fertilization or mowing prices. $ / bag x 2?

James Cormier
01-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Alright, I will try to be positive here, but I cant promise anything.

As far as aeration for a 50k lawn at 150.00, all I can say is wow. I think that price is way too low for a legit company, Our min is 125 for a 4k lawn. Our avg is $250 for a 15k lawn. Now I have used aeration as a loss leader to get customers in the past, but thats not what we are talking about. Now this is to turf and total, cause I know you 2 are legit business and will use this advise to continue to do business the right way.

Turf Smart
01-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Alright, I will try to be positive here, but I cant promise anything.

As far as aeration for a 50k lawn at 150.00, all I can say is wow. I think that price is way too low for a legit company, Our min is 125 for a 4k lawn. Our avg is $250 for a 15k lawn. Now I have used aeration as a loss leader to get customers in the past, but thats not what we are talking about. Now this is to turf and total, cause I know you 2 are legit business and will use this advise to continue to do business the right way.

Thanks for the input James. Obviously every market is different. I meant no disrespect to "Total". I saw a new guy (Yokes), with limited knowledge, seeking advice on pricing and didn't want to see him come into his market as the cheap guy. Sure, new businesses sometimes need to be a little more competitive to get their feet on the ground, but we don't want to encourage completely undercutting the experienced business. Remember, "you get what you pay for." Unfortunately, "Total" might not understand his full value yet, in his third year of business ownership.

philk17088
01-10-2005, 03:39 PM
$3 per m for aeration? I won't bust my hump for that! I gotta get at least $10 per m to start. Even at that price I hate when they say yes.
Aeration sucks. :realmad:

turf hokie
01-10-2005, 08:23 PM
$3 per k. Your hired. Come do ALL my aerations. I'll buy lunch too!!

Total. You don't want to move here. EVERYTHING is more expensive. Median house prices just went to 460,000. I can get you a great start home, needs a little work, 3 beds and 2 baths on .21 acres for a mere 405,000.

Market is everything. I saw an invoice for $1250 to aerate and seed a 20 k lawn. Job was already done. I almost fell over. Next that rate we are all low ballers payup

Motown
01-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Yokes,

It sounds like not alot of people are as excited about you getting into the fert/weed control business as you are. Our company has been around for 20 years. We grow by at least 10% annually. If our pricing is wrong then I'm pretty happy they are. 50,000 sq ft. we are charging $160.00, but that's granular fert and liquid herbicide. If they want a core aeration we will do it for $190.00. We can aerate a large property like that in less time than a 15,000 sq. ft. lawn by using a Tractor. I think aerations prices are very flexible. By pricing them lower you can feel good about pricing your fert a little more. After-all you don't buy any product for aeration...just time and gas. We have experimented with different pricing and currently charge $30.00 more than an app...but they have to be a fert customer. FYI, I am selling 7-Haney reels, 7- 150 gallon tanks and 5- 300+ft link hoses all in good condition. I used them for liquid weed control. If you have any interest I can give you a great deal.

Good luck,
MoTown

TOTALLAWN OF KY
01-12-2005, 09:33 AM
No disrespect taken what so ever! these discussions give a wide variety of help to these new guys . i have taken a lot of input from here and done very well.when i first stated, i live in a area thats been low balled to death i did low ball to get business .I was at 100 accounts at the end of my 1st season. and made money!! I started with nothing and no credit and only a spreader and my wifes van .now i have 2 3/4 ton trucks and a 1 ton dually with 2 300 gall tanks !1 for weed spray and the other for tree and shrub.they are older trucks but they are paid for!! i have a salsco slice seeder and aerator that are debt free as well .so i do understand business and marketing as well .you have to be competitive but also keep the cash flow going .I give quality service and earn a good living and at the end of the day i don't feel bad about my prices .I have learned to slowly adjust my price each year and have no complaints .so i feel the new guys need good advice so they can learn here like i did.you will do jobs that u wont get rich on but thats what it takes to get started .don't forget where you guys started at. remember the mistakes and try to help others .

TOTALLAWN OF KY
01-12-2005, 11:20 AM
HEY MOTOWN I AM INTERESTED IN WHAT YOUR SELLING contact me at totallawn@fuse.net

westwind
01-15-2005, 10:39 AM
Square footage prices are the only way to make sure you see a profit on every account.

SprayBandit
01-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Hey MoTown Email Me Some Prices On those Hannay Reels!
Thanks!! Doug
admin@deltalinx.com

gogetter
01-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Negative or not, I just give out BS answers to guys like him.

Why???????????

cantoo
01-15-2005, 08:40 PM
ah, I remember again why I only come here once in awhile.
Pricing also depends on the type of equipment you are using or have to use. I have the equipment to do any size of property, I just don't have the desire to do it.

MOW ED
01-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Looks like you got plenty of advice on fertilizing the yard so I wont add my 2 cents. I will give you some advice on the aeration.
I see all kinds of numbers given for different areas of the country for aeration. Some guys charge 5 bucks per 1000, others are at 12 bucks per thousand and still some have elaborate tiers of pricing that will baffle a math major.
I am not gonna tell you what my pricing structure is because my aeration business is different than yours even though it is the same.

Confused?

Compare it to mowing lawns. What would it cost you to mow that 50K yard with a 21" Murray push mower (u powered), then how much with a garden tractor with a 42"deck, then how much with an Exmark with a 72" deck?
Ya see where I'm going with this. The bottom line is you will cut grass with all of them. Your TIME on the scene and the amount of PHYSICAL labor is different. Along with that the COST of buying and maintaining the equipment increases when you buy bigger equipment that is more suited to the size of the properties that you are doing. If you have INSURANCE, RENT, VEHICLES, TRAILERS, DEPRECIATION, TAXES, LICENSE FEES, ACCOUNTING FEES, ETC. this has to be added in and divided down so you know what it takes for you to make a PROFIT.
Aeration is no different. If you are using a 20" walk behind aerator you can aerate 50K worth of lawn. You will hate yourself for doing it but it can be done. If you are using a 40 or 60" tow behind aerator you will also be able to aerate this lawn. It will be much faster and less physically demanding on you with the tow behind. So the difference is what? You may or may not have those little "EXTRAS" to deal with as stated above. Your tow behind costs more, you will not make up the price difference in one lawn but you have the ability to do many different size lawns with the larger equipment. You have to know your market and know your costs to accurately price.

Jim was not being a smart azz above. I did get a chuckle out of it but it should make you think about BUSINESS. Most people here can do the physical labor required in this business, if they can't they either don't succeed right off or they pay someone else to do it. It takes a special person to figure out the business end of the Lawn Care Business.
Provide a Quality Service, at a reasonable Price which nets you a PROFIT. If you don't no how to arrive at that end then you have come to the right place. Lots to learn here, I hope I taught you something.

grass-scapes
01-18-2005, 09:37 AM

3 bags for 50K. Check your coverage again. Most bags that I use will cover 12K per 50# bag. That would be over 4 bags. Some will cover 15K. but thats still more than 3 bags. To get proper coverage you will need more that what the bag says coverage is, because you ineveitably get some in the street, on neighbors yard, driveway, overlaps, etc.

grass-scapes
01-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Weed and Feed for broadleaf control.....I got a better ideal...ever heard of the weed-hound???? :dizzy:
Is that like the Garden weasel? LOL