PDA

View Full Version : Quick 36-Good starting mower?

forgop
01-08-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm going to get started in the biz part time this year in order to leave the corporate world. Nothing really provides more headache than being a supervisor in a union environment. Although the money is good, the hours are very long, the stress is high, and I'm just fed up of having to put up with whiney union employees.

Anyway, I plan on starting off very part-time in the biz as I work 6 days a week, 10-12 hours a day. My goal is to pick up 15-20 accounts in very close proximity to avoid as much windshield time and also because I could serve at least 5k homes within a 5 minute drive of my house. I'd say most of the average lawn are in the 7-8k square feet and want to use a mower most accessible to doing yards with fences at least, hence I think a 36" is the best choice for me.

Anyway, never having used a commercial walk behind and being in a position that I can't justify starting out with a $4k new walk behind, I had been in the market for a used walk behind maybe in the $1200 range and most likely belt driven. After doing some research, this has me quite intrigued about spending the extra money and getting something that can provide what seems to be a much better value and something that I could depend on using for a number of used than a walk behind that may have been worked pretty hard that may need a new engine without being used for a while.

Dollar for dollar and for my intended use, would you consider this to be the best value on the market? Thoughts/suggestions for something else are greatly appreciated.

out4now
01-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Don't paste often to other threads so I hope this works. http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=91885 Gives some opinions on it. I think it would be a great way to go.

HOOLIE
01-09-2005, 02:03 AM
I was going to refer you to that same thread. I have seen on Q36 in action, looked like it did fine to me. Just my 2 cents, for its price, its gotta be a good deal unless its a complete piece of junk or impossible to get parts/service for, which is not the impression I get. I'll be considering getting one next time I'm looking for a new WB.

TClawn
01-09-2005, 02:52 AM
it's a great mower and best of all it makes me payup . it cuts about 15 minutes off of 7,000 sqft of grass, compared to a 21" mower.

note: the quick 36 fits through MOST 36" gates. the way some of the hinges are set up it does not allow the deck to go through on some of 'em. if you wanted to build a little ramp that would raise the deck over the hinges I'm sure it would get through with no trouble.

chris.

Soupy
01-09-2005, 05:09 AM
it's a great mower and best of all it makes me payup . it cuts about 15 minutes off of 7,000 sqft of grass, compared to a 21" mower.

note: the quick 36 fits through MOST 36" gates. the way some of the hinges are set up it does not allow the deck to go through on some of 'em. if you wanted to build a little ramp that would raise the deck over the hinges I'm sure it would get through with no trouble.

chris.

Why not just move the hinges in a better location?

Roadside Mower
01-09-2005, 09:15 AM
I have put together two very dependable machines for my use. They are older (mid 1980s) Ransomes bobcats. They are both belt drive models using the variable speed pully for speed change. Antiquated by today's standards but thse machines are simple and dependable. One machine is a 32" and the other is a 48". My target route areas is mostly 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots with lots of gates. The 32" should be satisfactory for the gated yards. I short blocked both 13.5 hp engines, rebuilt the spindles and replaced the belts control cables and wiring. Also both machines got sanded, primered and painted the Ransomes Green. The cost of the used machines was about $100.00 ea. as I found them in the dead line of a L&G dealer with blown motors. I have about $1000 invested in them including aquisition. I did all of the work myself. I will use them until they again need major repairs and then get somthing more modern.
Check around, you might be able to find a decent used gear drive 36" walkbehind for 1000 or less in good running condition. Remember that most 32"-36" belt/geardrive walkbehinds start new between $2100-$2400 depending on make. The hydros are a little more.

Good Luck

TClawn
01-09-2005, 02:30 PM
soupy,

it's because the one gate that it won't fit through takes about 5 minutes with the string trimmer.

Goodaaron
01-11-2005, 02:08 AM
Hey Forgop where ya work UPS?

toddtt
02-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Which version of the three is the better bet, or better yet, does anyone happen to know how the Q36 would compare to the Toro Pro line 37? I can pick up a reconditioned Toro pro line 37 for 1800.00, I am just not sure which way to go. The Toro would only have a 30 day warranty. I only do about 20 lawns a week and I want to make a decision soon, any input?
Thank You

TClawn
02-18-2005, 06:59 PM
toddtt, is the proline a belt or hydro? if it's a hydro I would go for the toro. if it's a belt I would get the quick 36 super duty.

toddtt
02-18-2005, 07:11 PM
I called back and it's belt or gear driven, with floating deck, and 12.5 kohler engine and also has the muclh kit, I'm not sure if the Q36 super duty came ready to mulch or another attachment is needed to buy

Thanks for your input
TTT

TClawn
02-18-2005, 09:58 PM
the quick 36 (to my knowledge) is not the best mulching machine. I have never got the mulch kit. I can tell you that it does really well on side discharge and bagging though.

just one thing to keep in mind, I quick 36 does not use drive belts, so you don't get slippage in the rain. with a belt drive you can be grounded if it rains.

toddtt
02-19-2005, 09:58 AM
Thank you for the info, I really appreciate the help