PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help ?????

mowerpower
01-09-2005, 09:22 AM
I am trying to get your opinions on a fertilization program for 32 acres. My other jobs I do are usually 5,000-10,000 sq Ft. This is also different because it is a soccer field , so I expect the program should be a little different than my residential programs and I'm not sure how to price such a large job. Thanks to anyone who can help me!

cemars
01-09-2005, 10:08 AM
I would suggest finding a local supplier and asking them what they recommend for product. As far as pricing that is for you to figure out based on the materials cost, your overhead, the value of your time (desired profit), etc. I would price a fert only at about 3k and could do it in a long day with my Z-spray.

mowerpower
01-09-2005, 10:34 AM
I got prices from Lesco, but they seem rather high. They said something like $486 per acre for yearly program. Any other supplier ideas? Thanks alot.

timturf
01-09-2005, 01:56 PM
You need to find out what the client wants. I would assume more than one company will be bidding, so the client should specify what they want applied, so everybody is bidding on the same program!

GrazerZ
01-09-2005, 03:14 PM
$150 per acre per application on something this size. 3 ferts (one with crab pre) and one broadleaf herb. $19200.00

qps
01-09-2005, 11:09 PM
$150 per acre per application on something this size. 3 ferts (one with crab pre) and one broadleaf herb. $19200.00

I agree except I would do a late crab and blanket broadleaf in spring and include another blanket broadleaf in Oct.

GrazerZ
01-10-2005, 06:59 PM
I would do an extra broadleaf weed app only if I was sure I had it the next year or they were willing to pay for it.

sjj14
01-10-2005, 07:09 PM
I would be cautios with this contract. It may look profitable on paper but if your dealing with youth leagues and lots of traffic from kids, beware the power of Soccer moms! I have a contract with a local youth org. to do ONLY organic fert. apps.. they didint want to hear about any pesticicides being used at all. Are the fields perfect? No but they are happy and i make a decent # on the job. Just know that everyone who plays on that field is a potential risk.

qps
01-10-2005, 08:32 PM
I would be cautios with this contract. It may look profitable on paper but if your dealing with youth leagues and lots of traffic from kids, beware the power of Soccer moms! I have a contract with a local youth org. to do ONLY organic fert. apps.. they didint want to hear about any pesticicides being used at all. Are the fields perfect? No but they are happy and i make a decent # on the job. Just know that everyone who plays on that field is a potential risk.

That is an excellent point. My programs get the fall blanket no matter what, come the next spring you'll have the most dandelion free yards in the neighborhood. I treat a large HOA (50 plus acres) and only do so when school is in session or early in the a.m. :)

lawnboyCO
01-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Yeah, as soon as those Soccer moms get a glimpse of a pest. flag, there gonna go bananas :blob3:

qps
01-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Yeah, as soon as those Soccer moms get a glimpse of a pest. flag, there gonna go bananas :blob3:

Was treating some condo's that we take care of last year and as I was coming up on this guys unit, he walks out with his dead dog....you can guess the rest of the story....I'll tell ya anyways, he claimed that ticks killed his dog and the association was to blame, was not in a woody area....oh yeah he forgot to mention that two weeks prior he had his dog at a local state park running through the woods...I told him that tick's couldn't jump.....but no matter what I said I killed his dog in his eye's. I felt bad for him and we sprayed an insecticide afterwards so the rest of the community wouldn't kill me. You know things aren't going to go good when a customer is holding a dead dog!

James Cormier
01-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Nobody brought up the questions of How is he gonna do 32A, thats 1.3million sqft of turf, You gonna push that with a 80lb spreader?

Now here in mass we have the wonderful child protection act that limits what pesticides can be used on school property or property that is used by school children.

I maintain a 8 acre soccer field complex and I struggle with that, most parents understand what I do is safer than what alot of people do on there own lawn, but I do have a few crazy soccer mom's that I gotta answer to.

Thats what I call the pain in the A$$ factor, and that increases my prices. My straight fert is around 4.75 per K or $200 perA, grub control is $9.00 per k or 380 perA. No other pesticides are applied, just straight fert and merit.

We aerate the fields several times a year, and over seed and drag mat at least 2x's sometimes 3. I give them a break on the aeration, I even donate my walk behind to the association on parents day, and they use it in shifts to aerate the whole complex.

lawnboyCO
01-10-2005, 11:20 PM
push a spreader over 32 acres, yeah right, thats what the ride-on (ultra) is for, HOW MANY BAGS OF FERT DOES A PROJECT LIKE THAT TAKE, AT LEAST A 100

qps
01-10-2005, 11:29 PM
push a spreader over 32 acres, yeah right, thats what the ride-on (ultra) is for, HOW MANY BAGS OF FERT DOES A PROJECT LIKE THAT TAKE, AT LEAST A 100

Yeah but it would take you two weeks waiting for the parts for the PG to show up when it broke down every three acres :)

lawnboyCO
01-10-2005, 11:46 PM
ACTUALLY, the first year i had the thing i did not have a problem, it was in the middle of the second season i started having problems and that was because i was slackin on the servicing side

qps
01-10-2005, 11:54 PM
Ya know the first year I didn't have a problem either....but it's made up for it since then, I could have bought two of them for what I got in parts for mine.
never fear z-spray on order for next month delivery.