PDA

View Full Version : Please critque my postcard!

N.H.BOY
01-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Hey guys I am thinking about doing mass mailings of postcards in my area. Please give comments on this postcard sample. Thank you in advance. Oh yea my phone # will be on it, I just didn't want any of you call me when the Pats. win the super bowl. :D

N.H.BOY
01-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Oh yea, has anyone used 48hour print for postcard mailings where they provide the list of people in a zip code you provide? How are they? thanks

BMFD92
01-09-2005, 03:17 PM
i wouldnt give any type of price because i did that one time and got to many problems from people telling me im giving to much over the price i averaged out and stuff.

1MajorTom
01-09-2005, 03:25 PM
The first thing you need to do is take one postcard and mail it out to yourself, before you even think about getting them printed.
The post office needs enough space to postmark, and to put a bar code on the other side. If their bar code is unable to be read due to printing in that area, they will put a big white sticker over your printing, and print the barcode on the sticker.

MOW ED
01-09-2005, 03:27 PM
2 free cuts!!!
I see it says with full season agreement but I still have trouble workin for free.
Not being a wise guy, just giving an opinion.

N.H.BOY
01-09-2005, 05:05 PM
2 free cuts!!!
I see it says with full season agreement but I still have trouble workin for free.

Well I would sure up the price @ $5.00 for the ones that sign up. As long as I get my foot in the lawns.

bobbygedd
01-09-2005, 05:34 PM
The first thing you need to do is take one postcard and mail it out to yourself, before you even think about getting them printed.
The post office needs enough space to postmark, and to put a bar code on the other side. If their bar code is unable to be read due to printing in that area, they will put a big white sticker over your printing, and print the barcode on the sticker.
major tom, the postal regulations are 2" from end of piece to beggining of barcodes (plus or minus 1/16"). no solid black, or dark color combos that will interfere with thier scanners ability to read the bar code. bobby g- lawnboy, scholar, union leader, printer.

Smithers
01-09-2005, 06:11 PM
2 free cuts!!!
NH Boy, i think Mow Ed is right. 2 cuts is too much. try something like $10 off two cuts orsomething like that.

Why did you put "Home Maintenance"? otherwise it's really good.

grassworks
01-09-2005, 06:13 PM
To be brutally honest I don't think you should use it for a mail out. It seems to be fine for a business card but i think it may be lacking in a couple areas. I noticed it had 3 colors and I think that you could probably go 4 for no extra $ and make a better presentation ( full color). For the cost to do a mail out , I would make sure it was a "real attention getter " and would'nt rule out paying a little . Walker-Talker recently had a poll on his flyer ( try searching "flyer" , sorry... i was unable to post the link) done at www.designoutpost.com. Full color has come down in price and your up against some stiff competition at the mailbox. Anyways ,just my 2 cents. I don't have a problem with the free 2 cuts with signed contract. You can always recover that if planned approprately. Btw... I have 3 daughters also (one due in 4 weeks)so I know you can handle the criticism. With that much estrogen flowing around the house you have to be a well grounded man just too survive. lol :waving:

Smithers
01-09-2005, 06:24 PM
2 free cuts!!!

NH Boy, i think Mow Ed is right. 2 cuts is too much. try something like $10 off two cuts orsomething like that.

grassworks
01-09-2005, 07:12 PM
I threw this together a few minutes and it is very rough but wanted to see if it would attract the eye a little more .... they say color sells. This house has been used a million times and it (card) needs alot more but the idea is there.

Hamons
01-09-2005, 07:50 PM
When I started to have my advertisements professionally designed I double or tripled my response rate. Not only that -- the quality of accounts became better.

I highly reccomend my guy. His name is Shawn Honea. His design work is great.

Here is an example of postcard he designed for me. It was two sided. I was gettting about 15% response rate by handing them out door to door.

If you want to geta hold of him his e-mail is shawn@imdesigngroup.com

1MajorTom
01-09-2005, 07:57 PM
major tom, the postal regulations are 2" from end of piece to beggining of barcodes (plus or minus 1/16"). no solid black, or dark color combos that will interfere with thier scanners ability to read the bar code. bobby g- lawnboy, scholar, union leader, printer.

bobby g,
None of those names come to mind when I think of you, however I do have one that I refer to you as. :angel:
besides, I know the correct regulations, I was just saying to be safe, it only costs a postcard stamp to make sure eveything is lined correctly. Surely a postcard stamp won't break the piggy bank for you gedd, will it? :laugh:

http://www.48hourprint.com/images/pr_4x6.gif

N.H.BOY
01-09-2005, 08:31 PM
I threw this together a few minutes and it is very rough but wanted to see if it would attract the eye a little more .... they say color sells. This house has been used a million times and it (card) needs alot more but the idea is there.

Grassworks--That looks great Thank you Ill check that web site. That postcard you made up looks good thanks again and good luck with those kids :p

N.H.BOY
01-09-2005, 08:32 PM
When I started to have my advertisements professionally designed I double or tripled my response rate. Not only that -- the quality of accounts became better.

I highly reccomend my guy. His name is Shawn Honea. His design work is great.

Here is an example of postcard he designed for me. It was two sided. I was gettting about 15% response rate by handing them out door to door.

If you want to geta hold of him his e-mail is shawn@imdesigngroup.com

Thanks man I might just do that. Thank you

N.H.BOY
01-09-2005, 08:37 PM

Home Maintenance is what I started to do with my business and I stuck with it. I do (did) alot of decks and remodeling since I was 16 years old. It covers all of "Home Maintenance" Thanks for the comments and thanks for the e-mail the other day with your aggremnet it looks great :D

walker-talker
01-10-2005, 09:31 AM
I have used Shawn also, after seeing what kind of work he had done for Jeff. He is easy to work with and responds fast to your emails. Here is a postcard he designed for me last spring. Almost every client that called had a positive comment to make on the postcard. Even my competition made positive comments on them. They look much better than this poorly scanned image, especially because they were glossy.

Do you guys really think that 2 free mowings is too much? I am offering 3 free mowings and have heard of others offering even more...up to 5!!! I am wanting to add a lot of clients this year and thought this would be the easy way of doing it.

Smithers
01-10-2005, 10:07 AM
can you say how much he charges per card/hr/revision?

Matt, did you hand them out yourself or had USPS deliver them?

walker-talker
01-10-2005, 10:13 AM
He charges his time...as most designers (and people in this industry) do. There was a $25 charge for using one of his lawn pics, but you can upload one to him and save some money there. The total bill was around $156. I mailed out 5000 of them. Since then, I ordered 1000 more. For each person I give an estimate to for any service, I am going to write a thank you note on the back of a postcard and mail it to them. I will try to do this the day of the estimate or next day. I have never tried to just hand them out.

Lux Lawn
01-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Walker-Talker
I don't think 2 or 3 free mowings is two much at all if you feel thats what you need then go for it.You will make up the differance through out the year.

N.H.BOY
01-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Walker-Talker I saw on your postcard that you do free winter application. Can you explain what you do for that or if anyone else does this rather than free cuts.

walker-talker
01-10-2005, 07:25 PM
It's just basically fertilizer. It's the last step of the season. I tried this to get the phone to ring, but I did get many mowing accounts off this flyer. What mowing accounts I did get, not a one every mention anything about a free winterizer application.

JimLewis
01-11-2005, 03:44 AM
www.turfmarketing.com used to have some cool ready-made, very creative, templates for flyers, post-cards, etc.

But like a lot of the others, I would recommend you get some professional design help. Your post card is seriously lacking. It could look SOO much better.

I know it's already been mentioned, but www.designoutpost.com is a GREAT place to get high quality design work done at a huge savings. And the great thing is you get to have several designers - all with different ideas and concepts - all fighting for your business.

Smithers
01-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Jim, thanks a lot. These are really good sites. The first one has amazing graphics. too bad i am solo and need about 10 more clients, otherwise i'd love to use their materials.

Team Gopher
01-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Hi N.H. Boy,

Here is another link (http://www.modernpostcard.com/help_center/solutions_services/mailing_services/postal_regulations.shtml) with more postcard regulation information.

sparcolawn
01-12-2005, 04:11 PM
hey NH Boy, i think i read in another post that your 17, im not trying to jump your back but is your business registered and everything before doing the mass mailing?

Smithers
01-12-2005, 04:50 PM
hey NH Boy, i think i read in another post that your 17, im not trying to jump your back but is your business registered and everything before doing the mass mailing?
what does the mass mailing have to do with his business being registered?

also, i wonder if he is 17, how can he have 4 women in his household. LOL. :)

N.H.BOY
01-12-2005, 05:00 PM

Holy ***t, boy do I wish I was 17 again. Wonder what I would change? :dizzy: If you click on my name NHBOY and then go down to profile you'll find out. Yea 3 kids I have ben busy at 17 LOL :cry: :cry:

Smithers
01-12-2005, 05:06 PM
how old are your daugthers? just wait until they start to date.....it will be fun for you and them.

N.H.BOY
01-12-2005, 05:08 PM
how old are your daugthers? just wait until they start to date.....it will be fun for you and them.

10--7--16months and I dont even want to think out it. Yours? Please tell me it gets easier. You have 4 girls if I recall right?

Smithers
01-12-2005, 05:18 PM
i think you mean, "You want to date 4 girls at the same time, right?"....heheheeh....

no, i am maried, but no kids. i sleep when i want to sleep...luxury for people like you. just wait until their tempers start to develop. you will go nuts.

N.H.BOY
01-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Oh yes and the wife informes me that there is a good chance that they all might be "PMSing" all the same time. Good lord that'll be fun :dizzy: :cry: ;) :sleeping: :eek: :( :blob2: :drinkup: :drinkup:

Smithers
01-12-2005, 05:44 PM
yeah, you will need a lot of booz to keep you calm. either that, or a lot of mowing to keep you out of the house. LOL

sparcolawn
01-12-2005, 06:13 PM
my appoligies for the "17" comment, or do i dare say compliment? haha, anyways, yes it does get harder when they get older, not to even think of dating, but they love spending money, you better pick up a few more lawns!>.haha