PDA

View Full Version : im 14 years old and I own my own business

benslandscapingny
01-09-2005, 04:56 PM
here are a few pics of me mowing a few months ago

John P.
01-09-2005, 04:59 PM
How long have you been in business for? What equipment do you have and how many accounts do you have?

John P.
01-09-2005, 05:03 PM
How often do you mow with you bobcat, i have a few questions for you.........how do you like the Kohler engine? And the machine itself? Is it a classic?

benslandscapingny
01-09-2005, 05:08 PM
How long have you been in business for? What equipment do you have and how many accounts do you have?

I started the summer of 03 and i've been in business for 2 years.
I have a Bob cat 48' and I plan to buy a exmark ztr in 2 years when I get my drivers license.

benslandscapingny
01-09-2005, 05:10 PM
How often do you mow with you bobcat, i have a few questions for you.........how do you like the Kohler engine? And the machine itself? Is it a classic?

The kohler engine is great. I thinks its a Classic bobcat/ ransomes belt drive mower.

John P.
01-09-2005, 05:13 PM
What did you pay for it? Do you like bobcats product?

benslandscapingny
01-09-2005, 05:18 PM
well I bought it used for 1500 just 5 miles from my house . I saw it on the side of the road with a for sale sign $2000 and I got him down 25% of his asking price. yea, I like bob cat products. what do you use?

mownredneck
01-09-2005, 06:56 PM
where did you get the money to buy it? i started when i was 14, but I didn't start out like that. I had an old Murry! also nice striping work!

o-so-n-so
01-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Do you know the guys at OCC?

mownredneck
01-09-2005, 07:23 PM
o-so-n-so, what part of Al. are you from? I would be checkin if they had a lawn main. guy

lawncare4u
01-09-2005, 07:56 PM
where did you get the money to buy it? i started when i was 14, but I didn't start out like that. I had an old Murry! also nice striping work!

Looks like SANTA has been good to you!Nice Mower.......... :sleeping:

K c m
01-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Thats awesome man congrats. I thought you needed to be 16 to drive tho?

m0werman
01-09-2005, 08:25 PM
i just turned 16 this year. i have been mowing grass and plowing snow for 4 years now. i began with my dads craftsman push mower and a hand edger and a broom. i used garbage picked mowers and weed wackers and a freebie sears tractor, until last year when i bought a brand new craftsman mower, homelite wacker and husquvarna backpack blower. and at the end of last season i traded for a 36" bunton walk behind. and this year i also got a gravely four wheel tractor for free with a 50" deck and 48" snow blower. during the four years i picked up some stuff too, a little wonder edger, and giant vac 5HP blower (freebies, old), and a couple other tractor that i used until i got the gravely. i have 15 steady accounts and a few i get once in a while. i also cut my churches property last year, over 2 acres.

K c m
01-09-2005, 08:29 PM
noyce man. good luck to you. you have been plowing since you have been 12 is that what you are saying?

benslandscapingny
01-09-2005, 08:50 PM
I saved up a long time

iluvscag
01-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Hey ben email me at farmerboy05@hotmail.com

benslandscapingny
01-09-2005, 08:59 PM
iluvscag whats up

iluvscag
01-09-2005, 09:02 PM
how many accounts do you have ben?

benslandscapingny
01-09-2005, 09:05 PM
12 residential no commercial yet. the mowing season is over in ny so next year i will have a lot more than i can handle

iluvscag
01-09-2005, 09:07 PM
are you on msn?

benslandscapingny
01-09-2005, 09:09 PM
yea benslawncareservice@yahoo.com is my msn

benslandscapingny
01-09-2005, 09:11 PM
whats yours

iluvscag
01-09-2005, 09:12 PM
I added you accept it

benslandscapingny
01-09-2005, 09:13 PM
whats yours or send me one

iluvscag
01-09-2005, 09:14 PM
farmerboy05@hotmail.com

travis strecker
01-09-2005, 09:54 PM
i just turned 15 this year this is my first year in the bussiness and i have 52 accounts

John P.
01-09-2005, 11:35 PM
52 accounts??????? seems likes alot to handle with only being 15.

ALarsh
01-10-2005, 08:31 AM
i just turned 15 this year this is my first year in the bussiness and i have 52 accounts

I'm there with you. I just started and have 98 accounts. :rolleyes:

John P.
01-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Its my first year and i have 200 accounts I'm only 17, and i also bought a new Cadillac :cool2:

Petr51488
01-10-2005, 06:08 PM
I'm there with you. I just started and have 98 accounts. :rolleyes:

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAH That was by far the funniest thing i've ever seen on this site ever!! Your comment and the picture!! lolololol Not being sarcastic... lolol that got me to laugh pretty dam good.. lololol

lawnkid
01-10-2005, 09:37 PM
I love these threads.... :sleeping:

travis strecker
01-10-2005, 10:28 PM
i mow 9 to 10 a day

ALarsh
01-10-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm sure you do. You go to school, mow 10 lawns a day and still make it to the gym, right?

Dude, come one. Everybody knows here you can't be in school mowing 52 accounts alone.

travis strecker
01-10-2005, 11:56 PM
i am home schooled and i have a hardship driving liesnce i mow in the day school at night

QMVA
01-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Maybe you should drop a few accounts, and use the time for English spelling and grammar. :rolleyes:

splatz100
01-11-2005, 07:30 AM
what is a hardship drivers license?

ALarsh
01-11-2005, 06:08 PM
travis, can we see some pics of your work and equipment?

Smalltimer1
01-11-2005, 06:14 PM
what is a hardship drivers license?

Supposedly its when everyone who is old enough to have a license in your immediate family is too sick or ill to be able to safely drive, which makes the next oldest child eligible to drive who is over 14 years old I believe, skipping all the learner's permits and the graduated liscensing. Maybe he should stay home and take care of his folks and get himself educated so he can make more $$$ later on.

It's very rare that someone does get one, but its not impossible.

However, you can get a full DL in Tennessee at 15 if I remember correctly.

That's the problem these days, kids get bit by the greed bug and want it all now, instead of getting a decent education and make the real big $$$$$ later on.

Smalltimer1
01-11-2005, 06:20 PM
i am home schooled and i have a hardship driving liesnce i mow in the day school at night

Homeschooling is inadequate, its the lazy way out, kids don't do their work and they basically lay around all day long.

trimmerhead
01-11-2005, 11:43 PM
Homeschooling is inadequate, its the lazy way out, kids don't do their work and they basically lay around all day long.

well you are a total ****** on the subject. Most homeschoolers are much more inteligent than your typical public schooler. :realmad:

Metro Lawn
01-12-2005, 12:59 AM
All these children doing so well... huh.. I would like to see a copy of their liability insurance, workmans comp., and maybe some tax returns showing all the money they are making running these "businesses" Just because your 14, 15, 16, ect., you are not exempt from the IRS.

You can't even own a business until your 18. You have to be an adult to enter into any agreement or contract.

Let me catch one of these little bastards running a "business" at that age around here. They will be paying taxes and fines off until they are collecting social security.

mownredneck
01-12-2005, 08:28 PM
I sure would like to know how u started out. I am 17 and a Junior in High school and as soon as I turn 18 im going to get all legal. I cant pay taxes or have biz insurance until. My parents would have to sign for me. My truck is not legally mine because the insurance and truck is listed under my dads name.

Petr51488
01-12-2005, 09:10 PM
I sure would like to know how u started out. I am 17 and a Junior in High school and as soon as I turn 18 im going to get all legal. I cant pay taxes or have biz insurance until. My parents would have to sign for me. My truck is not legally mine because the insurance and truck is listed under my dads name.

Exactly.. Sorry we can't all start being legit at age 16 (metro).

Metro Lawn
01-12-2005, 10:44 PM
You can be much more legit than you are now. You state that you don't pay taxes, why? When I worked during high school I paid taxes. Your parents should be smart enough to get insurance for you. Since they are legally responsible for you, they could get sued for any mistake you make. You both sit back and proudly boast about how you are screwing the system, the IRS, and the legit LCOs out there. You better think again.

John P.
01-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Metro.........Does it really hurt anyone if there are kids that are mowing neighbors lawns or mulching their parents friends houses. Give me a break I am also 17 running a business, and if you went legit right off that bat it would be almost impossible to make it. With taxes licenses insurances thats alot for a 17 your old to pay when he might only have 5 or 10 accounts.

Metro Lawn
01-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Metro.........Does it really hurt anyone if there are kids that are mowing neighbors lawns or mulching their parents friends houses. Give me a break I am also 17 running a business, and if you went legit right off that bat it would be almost impossible to make it. With taxes licenses insurances thats alot for a 17 your old to pay when he might only have 5 or 10 accounts.

Like I explained in my pm back to one of these guys. Sure one kid doing a few accounts won't hurt so much, but 1 kid on every street, in every town, it starts to ad up. So many people complain about lowballers ect. This is why. When Joey down the street does Mrs. Smith's lawn for $15 and makes $14 in profit, Joey is happy.. Mrs. Smith is happy and we (the legit LCOs) are left holding the bag when Joey gets tired of mowing and Mrs. Smith calls a real company to continue service. "Well I have never paid more than $15" she will say.. and the story goes on. Some of these guys say they are doing 98 lawns a week! Let's look at the big picture.. 98 x $10 is $980 a week, this being on the low side, figure in 35% for taxes and insurance. $343 a week x 30 weeks... thats an extra $10,000 or so.. tell me they can't be legit. If they can't do it right, then they shouldn't do it until they can. I am not going to even try to defend this at all. Maybe I will give my daughter my business, stop paying taxes and insurance, and save myself a hundred grand a year...lol

ALarsh
01-13-2005, 07:55 AM
Like I explained in my pm back to one of these guys. Sure one kid doing a few accounts won't hurt so much, but 1 kid on every street, in every town, it starts to ad up. So many people complain about lowballers ect. This is why. When Joey down the street does Mrs. Smith's lawn for $15 and makes $14 in profit, Joey is happy.. Mrs. Smith is happy and we (the legit LCOs) are left holding the bag when Joey gets tired of mowing and Mrs. Smith calls a real company to continue service. "Well I have never paid more than $15" she will say.. and the story goes on. Some of these guys say they are doing 98 lawns a week! Let's look at the big picture.. 98 x $10 is $980 a week, this being on the low side, figure in 35% for taxes and insurance. $343 a week x 30 weeks... thats an extra $10,000 or so.. tell me they can't be legit. If they can't do it right, then they shouldn't do it until they can. I am not going to even try to defend this at all. Maybe I will give my daughter my business, stop paying taxes and insurance, and save myself a hundred grand a year...lol
I don't know about you, but those guys that say they do 98 lawns a week that are under 16 is complete BS.

Smalltimer1
01-13-2005, 10:42 AM
well you are a total ****** on the subject. Most homeschoolers are much more inteligent than your typical public schooler. :realmad:

Incorrect, I worked my ass off in public school and EARNED a 3.85 GPA at graduation, at which point I was 9th in my class. :realmad: I don't appreciate being chopped down, I know what I'm talking about, if I don't, I know not to say anything. When my mother has been in the education field for 27 years and my aunt has been in it for 21 years, you'd think I'd know a thing or 2 from listening to them.......

When I was in the Scouts about 1/2 my troop was home schooled. I basically had to kick them in the butt to get them to do anything, and do it right. Two brothers' mother in our troop pulled them out of public school, because of a personality conflict with a teacher, and home schooled them. They were worthless in the woods, unmotivated, lazy, and did everything possible to get out of work and pulling their weight. They cried when I told them to set the tent up for the first time. There was another homeschooled kid in the troop and he thought that he was better than everyone else......and he knew too much; we all called him Mr. Gore, very intelligent, but what he knew was irrelevant to what was going on. None of them knew how to behave either.

Better watch what you say. The toes you step on today may be part of the foot that kicks you in the butt tomorrow.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-13-2005, 10:51 AM
Looks good Ben. Wish I started at the age of 12, Im' jelous! :) . Keep up the good work and let us know when u have several crews working for u.

MMLawn
01-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Metro.........Does it really hurt anyone if there are kids that are mowing neighbors lawns or mulching their parents friends houses. Give me a break <b>I am also 17 running a business</b>, and if you went legit right off that bat it would be almost impossible to make it. With taxes licenses insurances thats alot for a 17 your old to pay when he might only have 5 or 10 accounts.

NO you are not! You are just a 17 year old (and 14 year olds)CUTTING GRASS FOR MONEY and there is a BIG Difference my young friend, because that Insurance and taxes that you also say you can't afford to pay is LEGALLY REQUIRED of a BUSINESS.

You Kids kill me saying they own a "business" yet they can't even drive a car yet...

Smalltimer1
01-13-2005, 01:10 PM

Burger King and McDonalds have openings, you should fit right in there just fine.

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Guess what your all wrong, I have insurance, a business & vendors license, and I will be getting my pesticide applicators license in a month all which are in my name.
I also saw that someone said that all home schoolers are lazy, well guess what, I'm not! But I have know some home schoolers that are very lazy, not everyone is the same. Also I go to the career center at night for adult education for landscaping and get all A's, and I have 18 collage credits. I will be OCNT landscape certified later this month if every thing goes right. :waving:

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Also I pay all my taxes too! :waving:

John P.
01-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Its my first year and i have 200 accounts I'm only 17, and i also bought a new Cadillac :cool2:
This was a joke that i posted. I do not have 200 accounts, I only do about 15 lawns. I'am working on becoming "legit", but it takes time and I'm not going to wait to become legit to start working, in 10 months when i turn 18 I am getting my license. I have had insurance sense i started, my always thought better saver than sorry.

Soupy
01-13-2005, 02:04 PM

Yes it does hurt. It is overlooked, but if every neighborhood had a kid cutting the grass then there wouldn't be jobs for us real LCO's. I wouldn't be on hear bragging about that and excpect us to say it is OK.

What gets me is you guys call it a business. Why don't you call it what it is, grass cutting for spending money. You are hardly running a business if all you do is cut grass, collect the money, and spend it. Were is the business side of it?

I don't mind you kids cutting a few lawns. But it bugs the crap out of me when you all say that you have a business, or when I see a 18yr old saying they have been in business for 5 years. I used to laugh when I read this crap, but it is starting to get out of hand. There are to many of you kids starting to pop up and call themselves a business.

If you are 15 and cutting someones grass they are breaking the law just like you are. It has went un-noticed, but the government is going to have to address this issue if it keeps growing at the rate it is. The more complaints, or injury cases that pop up, the more the government will have to open their eyes and realize that this is big business and put a stop to it. All it takes is for the government to enforce strict punishments for parents, and homeowners that allow this child labor to continue.

I didn't read this whole thread, so I might be back :)

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 02:20 PM
This is what my career is and what it will be. I pay my bills and taxes and then I reinvest the money into my business. But I do not like it when people are uninsured and unlicensed. Theres a person my age in my area that is NOT legal and it does bother me a little. :waving:

Soupy
01-13-2005, 02:29 PM
This was a joke that i posted. I do not have 200 accounts, I only do about 15 lawns. I'am working on becoming "legit", but it takes time and I'm not going to wait to become legit to start working, in 10 months when i turn 18 I am getting my license. I have had insurance sense i started, my always thought better saver than sorry.

The argument isn't whether you are legit or not. It is the fact that you call it a business. You all probably have business names and everything. Some of your customers might not even realize that you are under age etc. i don't mind little Johnny cutting some poor old ladies grass, as long as that poor old lady understands that she is hiring little Johnny (that might look 18 to her) under the table and that he is not a lawn care business. The problem is the customer doesn't care if you are legit, but they will the day a serious injury happens on their property from one of you kid business's. Don't tell me accidents don't happen especially when there are so many of you.

Now to the part I highlighted in red. Don't cry on our shoulders about needing to work. You can work at a lot of places (as long as you don't operate machinery in my state under 18) legally with out the worries of running a legit business. All it takes is for you to fill out a piece of paper and for them to say you are hired. You show up and perform your duties and they give you a paycheck (taxes deducted ). They will handle everything for you. If you save that money while living with mommy and daddy you will someday have the money to start a entry level lawn business. Besides it doesn't take a lot of money to start. Just insurance (around $400 if you can find someone to insure you), DBA ($35 here), equipment (which sounds like you all have), and the know how to price to cover replacement and upgrades of equipment while paying taxes (this is done after you earned the money, so it shouldn't be a problem). This is the simple version for a simple business, but I would price for expansion and so on too, but all it takes is to know how to price and save. You don't need to not be legit at all as long as you are of age to own a business. In my state you have to be 18 to legally bind yourself into any agreement.

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 02:39 PM
In my state age does not matter, but I can not sign contracts until I think 21 so I don't. If you think I'm not legal, I am legal. Also if you think I would some how get in trouble by the Gov. guess what I mow for townships, towns, schools and post offices and they all know my age. You also have to be at least 16 to run a commercial mower in my state and I know there are people around where I live that break that law all the time, and thats why I did'nt buy my mower until I turned 16.

Triple L
01-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Well, different states got different laws, I'am 16, Business registered, got contractors insurance which covers my walker, trailer, trimmers and anything else plus the properties that I am working on. Now my name is on the financing papers but I had to have it co-signed. other than that I am legit and am full owner. Don't have to claim any taxes until iv made 30 or 35,000 in revenue, so I don't pay any taxes

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 02:45 PM
Do you like working in Canada? How many weeks can you mow a year?

Soupy
01-13-2005, 03:21 PM
In my state age does not matter, but I can not sign contracts until I think 21 so I don't. If you think I'm not legal, I am legal. Also if you think I would some how get in trouble by the Gov. guess what I mow for townships, towns, schools and post offices and they all know my age. You also have to be at least 16 to run a commercial mower in my state and I know there are people around where I live that break that law all the time, and thats why I did'nt buy my mower until I turned 16.

How do you cut grass for the townships without signing a contract. You must live in a very small town.

I thought it was a federal law that you are a minor until 18. I also thought the child labor law was a federal law. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know. But I do know that here in IL. you can not legally operate machinery until you are 18 or work under your parents supervision. You can't even operate a dishwasher at a restaurant until 18. I'm not sure how the laws actually apply to a minor wanting to own their own business. They might allow machinery etc to be operated. i just don't see how you can have a business if you can't sign the agreement at the insurance agent, or any agreement for that matter. I guess if your parent went and signed every agreement for you, then that would be their business. I don't know.......

It still doesn't change the fact that there are kids claiming to own a business at age 10 and up when all they are doing is cutting the little old ladies grass in the neighborhood. That kid gets hurt and that little old lady is in big trouble. The laws are put into place for a reason. If we did not have them then there would be Little kids working everywhere for minimum wage. I could not legally hire you to use a mower until you were 18. There might be some loop hole for you to start a business, but that would be a gray area I would not want to touch as a customer.

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 03:27 PM
The law in Ohio is 16 to operate commercial mowing equip!!!

Triple L
01-13-2005, 03:49 PM
In canada I start spring clean-ups in early april and we quit mowing oct. 31. after that it's clean-ups.
Soupy - so you got your drivers license and a car and insurance but you can't pay for it because you can't have a job ah, not even washing dishes.
Are you serious, you can't wash dishes until your 18. what a joke

Soupy
01-13-2005, 04:01 PM
In canada I start spring clean-ups in early april and we quit mowing oct. 31. after that it's clean-ups.
Soupy - so you got your drivers license and a car and insurance but you can't pay for it because you can't have a job ah, not even washing dishes.
Are you serious, you can't wash dishes until your 18. what a joke

Sure you can work. The kids under 18 can bus tables, sweep floors, just about do anything except work machinery. This doesn't count little stuff like vacuums etc. They can work at department stores and all kinds of jobs but not in a factory operating machinery and not even a dishwasher at a restaurant (I know I managed one). I started working at 15 (with permit supplied by a work program in school). My employer didn't follow the law and had me doing things that a minor should not. I didn't care because it was his butt, not mine. But there a millions of jobs a teenager can do that does not involve machinery. This law is waived if you work for your parents.

Triple L
01-13-2005, 04:30 PM
well that some crazy law you guy's got. All my friends are working using those power dishwashers, flipping burgers, doing electrical work, building houses, but thats just the way the law goes. We should all have the same system and the same laws, not no laws that change from province to province or state to state. I think in Calagary you can have your drivers liscence at 14. and in quebec your not allowed in to bars until 21. it's so crazy

DLCS
01-13-2005, 04:32 PM
When I was 16, I worked for Wal-Mart. One thing I could not do, is operate machinery until I turned 18. This included compactors, mowers, etc. This law is strictly enforced, I know cause the Wal-Mart store I worked at got fined big time for breaking it. This is one law that the State of Illinois strictly enforces. I'm not 100% sure but I think this applies to little Johnny running a lawn business too. I'm sure they will not go after the kid with the push mower but you guys who run commercial mowers, being 16 and calling yourself a business, I'd be willing to bet the state would have fun with your parents.

Soupy
01-13-2005, 04:39 PM
well that some crazy law you guy's got. All my friends are working using those power dishwashers, flipping burgers, doing electrical work, building houses, but thats just the way the law goes. We should all have the same system and the same laws, not no laws that change from province to province or state to state. I think in Calagary you can have your drivers liscence at 14. and in quebec your not allowed in to bars until 21. it's so crazy

We have labor laws for safety and fairness. You wouldn't want a young immature kid to be operating a piece of equipment that could cut his arm off would you? You wouldn't want a business hiring a bunch of 10 year olds and have them pumping out mass productions, would you? It is fine in some countries to have sweat shops and what not. But here in the good ole U.S. we watch out for our youth.

I'm not implying anything to you. I am just answering your questions. I am sure canada does not have sweat shops.

Kids think they are smart and can handle any job thrown at them, but the truth is most kids could not handle life on their own as a minor. Just imagine if mommy and daddy wasn't around to fall back on. Do you really think a minor has the life skills to make it on his own. Some do and could, but a lot would be lost. You will all see soon enough that life isn't all milk and cookies.

chuckers
01-13-2005, 04:57 PM
I know for a fact you don't have to be 18 to operate machinery in Illinois. All my cousins operate their Dads combines and tractors and one got pulled over for no SMV. He got a warning and he was 12 and they told him that he had to get one.

DLCS
01-13-2005, 05:04 PM
I know for a fact you don't have to be 18 to operate machinery in Illinois. All my cousins operate their Dads combines and tractors and one got pulled over for no SMV. He got a warning and he was 12 and they told him that he had to get one.

The 18 law doesn't apply to farmers. They are exempt if its the family farm. Just like farm kids can operate large tractors on the roads. But the laws change for businesses. I guess the state doesn't see a farm as a business. :dizzy:

Soupy
01-13-2005, 05:14 PM

I mentioned that you are exempt if you work for your parents. I can hire my boy to cut grass with me, but I can not hire someone else's kid if he is under 18 to operate machinery. I'm not sure if the state calls trimmers or blowers machinery, but I know my mowers would fall into that category.

I don't know anything about the road laws for farm equipment. But you could always put the law to test and put a 15 year old kid (employee) on a riding lawn mower and send them cruising down the street with your company uniform on. Make sure a cop will see him or it won't matter.

DLCS
01-13-2005, 05:19 PM

Here is some reading for you. The farm act is somewhat explained in this section. Also, states some of the types of machinery and so forth. http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=2418&ChapAct=820*ILCS*205/&ChapterID=68&ChapterName=EMPLOYMENT&ActName=Child+Labor+Law%2E

Smalltimer1
01-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Guess what your all wrong, I have insurance, a business & vendors license, and I will be getting my pesticide applicators license in a month all which are in my name.
I also saw that someone said that all home schoolers are lazy, well guess what, I'm not! But I have know some home schoolers that are very lazy, not everyone is the same. Also I go to the career center at night for adult education for landscaping and get all A's, and I have 18 collage credits. I will be OCNT landscape certified later this month if every thing goes right. :waving:

I find that hard to believe, being that you can't even spell college correctly. So you're saying you pay your car insurance, tags, registrations, inspections, business insurance, business license fees, tax on your income AND equipment?? Do you do all the proper maintenance on your equipment--change your own oil, sharpen blades, repair your own machines?

Last time I checked car insurance on a 16 year old driver wasn't cheap, to the tune of +/-$800 per 6 months term.

Regardless of where you live, there is no way you can get all that at 16 years old, or even 17 for that matter. It's also highly unlikely that an 18 year old would have that kind of resources either.

Get real man.

Well, different states got different laws, I'am 16, Business registered, got contractors insurance which covers my walker, trailer, trimmers and anything else plus the properties that I am working on. Now my name is on the financing papers but I had to have it co-signed. other than that I am legit and am full owner. Don't have to claim any taxes until iv made 30 or 35,000 in revenue, so I don't pay any taxes

By the way you usually have to complete some form of higher education to be certified in any kind of pesticide and/or contractor's license, in the US anyway.

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 06:56 PM
You have some wierd laws, heres our's.

Prohibited Occupations for Minors
ORC Chapter 4109: Employment Of Minors

Ohio Administrative Code Section 4101:9-2-01

To prevent the employment of minors, "individuals under 18," in any occupations found hazardous or detrimental to the health and well-being of minors, the Director of the Ohio Department of Commerce is authorized to issue rules pursuant to Section 4109.05 of the Ohio Revised Code prohibiting the employment of minors in occupations determined to be hazardous.

The following is a summary only and should not be construed as a complete listing of prohibited occupations for minors.

Occupations Prohibited for ALL Minors

Slaughtering, meat-packing, processing rendering
Operation of power driven slicers; bakery machines; paper product machines; metal forming; punching or shearing machines; circular and band saws; guillotine shears; woodworking machines
Manufacture of brick, tile, and kindred products
Manufacture and storage of chemicals or explosives, or exposure to radioactive and ionizing radiation substances
Coal mining and mining other than coal
Logging and saw milling
Motor vehicle, railroads, maritime , and longshoreman occupations
Excavation operations, wrecking, demolition, and shipbreaking
Power-driven and hoisting apparatus equipment
Roofing operations
Occupations Prohibited for 14 and 15 year old Minors

Manufacturing and warehouse occupations (except office and clerical work)
Public messenger services occupations
Work in freezers; meat coolers and all preparations of meats for sale (except wrapping, sealing labeling, weighing, pricing and stocking)
Transportation; storage, communications, public utilities; construction and repair
Work in boilers or engine rooms; maintenance or repair of machinery
Outside window washing from window sills, scaffolding, ladders or their substitutes
Cooking, baking, operating, setting up, adjusting, cleaning, oiling, or repairing power-driven food slicers, grinders, food choppers cutters, baker type mixers
Loading or unloading goods to and from trucks, railroad cars or conveyors
Work with cars and trucks involving pits, racks, or lifting apparatus
Inflation of tires mounted on rimes equipped with a removable retaining ring
For-profit door-to-door employment (unless the employer is registered with this division)

Door-to-Door Registration Requirements

For-profit employers may only employ minors under 16 if registered with this division and if they are in compliance with all Ohio and federal laws relating to the employment of minors, Ohio Motor Vehicle Financial Responsibility, Workers' Compensation, Unemployment Compensation and all other applicable laws relating to employment. In addition, they must: provide at least one supervisor over the age of 18 for each 6 minor employees; require all minors to work at least in pairs and have appropriate age and schooling certificates; not employ any minor under 16 in employment activities before 7:00 a.m. or after 7:00 p.m.; and not employ any minor under 18 in employment activities before 7:00 a.m. or after 8:00 p.m.

To obtain a copy of the Ohio Minor Labor Laws poster or door-to-door registration application, please contact:

Ohio Department of Commerce, Wage and Hour Bureau,
50 West Broad Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215, (614) 644-2239

Information on this site is believed to be accurate but is not guaranteed. The State of Ohio disclaims any liability for any errors or omissions.

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 07:05 PM
I pay $740 every 6 months for car insurance. And I truly do have all that education, I pay for MY commercial tags, biz licenses, biz insurance. My taxes are being worked on by the CPA right now! Everything is in my name and my name only. And how about this you get real smalltimer. :angry:

Soupy
01-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Operating a mower is hazardous.

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 07:20 PM
I will be 18 for this mowing season so it does not matter to me.

Smalltimer1
01-13-2005, 07:36 PM
I pay $740 every 6 months for car insurance. And I truly do have all that education, I pay for MY commercial tags, biz licenses, biz insurance. My taxes are being worked on by the CPA right now! Everything is in my name and my name only. And how about this you get real smalltimer. :angry:

Boy, I am real.

For right now all you have said is hot air, no hard proof. Until we see documentation that is official you are nothing but a kid running around with a mower.

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 07:41 PM
What more can I give you, I won't send you my personal documents! I think your just jealous that some teenager might have a bigger biz than you! :dizzy:

QMVA
01-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Maybe someone else can help me but I couldn't find any labor restricitons for minors 16-17.

Smalltimer1
01-13-2005, 07:44 PM
What more can I give you, I won't send you my personal documents! I think your just jealous that some teenager might have a bigger biz than you! :dizzy:

You're still full of hot air, I sold most of my stuff out so I could go to college full time to be an engineer (please read my sig). I really could care less, but lying doesn't get you anywhere in business or with us honest folks.

It all boils down to pride, and boy you got too much of it.

Next thing we'll be hearing is that you're buying a house at 19 and driving a Ferrari.

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 07:49 PM
You don't know me and what I have. Email me and I'll give you my biz name and you can look it up on Ohio's site.

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm hope to make enough money so I can by a house this year, cash.

Smalltimer1
01-13-2005, 07:51 PM
You don't know me and what I have. Email me and I'll give you my biz name and you can look it up on Ohio's site.

And you don't know me either. I've got $52,000 tied up in schooling, so please don't go rambling off on what you don't know about me.

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Lets just quit arguing. :waving:

Soupy
01-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Maybe someone else can help me but I couldn't find any labor restricitons for minors 16-17.

Were are you looking? All you need to do is call the employment office in your county and start asking away.

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 07:58 PM
That's what I did, they can answer all your questions.

Soupy
01-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Lets just quit arguing. :waving:

Yes, I think he is taking it a little to far with you. It takes more then a date of birth to show your maturity. We all get a little heated sometimes, but it is best to just walk away.

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 08:01 PM
I think we all just have to realize that different states have different laws. :)

QMVA
01-13-2005, 08:30 PM
I looked on-line on Nebraska's website. The only child labor restrictions and laws I four are for minors age 14 and 15.

QMVA
01-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Hey smalltime how old are you. I mean it sound like you just started college recently and yet your profile says you have been in the business for 4 years. Were you in the business before the age 18?

Wesley's Lawn
01-13-2005, 09:26 PM
With all you arguing about child labor laws and not being able to operate equipment. All those apply when working for SOMEONE ELSE. Wouldn't it be different when your working for YOURSELF?

mownredneck
01-13-2005, 09:26 PM
You guys have it all wrong, I DON'T LOWBALL i know how that is. Most of the time its the other way around. i have estiamted jobs before at $35 and this old lady said I only paid $25 for the other guy and guess who it was it was a big company. I worked at a burger joint last year for a month and a half and did like it. i like to be outside it drives me crazy to be inside. YOU STILL DIDN'T ANSWER MY QUESTION!!!!!! How did u start out. I bet u werent all legal when u started wasnt u!

Smalltimer1
01-13-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm 19, I tinkered around with just mowing for a while (roughly 15 yards, when I was 16), never called it a business, just did it because the people were helping me get money together to get my truck, but then at 17 I shifted to the repair side of things, and sold off most of my mowing equipment, but kept enough to be able to do small jobs. I've been busy with repairing machines ever since. I'm about 3 weeks behind on repair stuff right now, just because of school. Can't bring the machines to work on here, so they're just sittin at the house waiting for me to have time to get to them.

My little operation is rather unique. Like I said, now I mostly focus on the repair side of things. I do pretty good with that. As far as mowing and general landscaping now, I run overflow so to speak when I'm on break, meaning when the big guys get full at home, they call me to take the ones they don't have time for (i.e. times just before bad weather, personal issues, crew/manpower problems, etc.) Basically I kick in--in the clutch for the big guys when they get beyond what they can handle and I basically act as a subcontractor so to speak until they are able to resume services to the ones subbed to me (hence my s/n being smalltimer). I have one guy who I call at moment's notice and he comes and we can kick some serious grass when I get the call from a desperate lawn care outfit wanting me to cover for them on some of their accounts. I guess you could say I'm a first responder for the big guys so to speak.

They will send the client a bill as if they had performed those services them selves, but they go ahead and pay me when they pay bills, I get what they'd get for the same work, since it is not a constant day to day thing.

Smalltimer1
01-13-2005, 09:59 PM
As far as my future plans are concerned, schooling is my first priority. I am at North Carolina State University pursuing a degree in Agricultural Engineering. I want to go into building & designing the machines you guys use everyday. That is also the reason I do repair work on mowers and other machines, to learn what is examples of good engineering and bad engineering, underengineering and overengineering.

My short term plans for this summer, are first, to go to the local community college, take some night classes to get ahead on credits, while doing repair work and emergency mowing during the day. I am keeping my eyes peeled for a small tractor with bushhog so I can also go into rough cutting. Seems to be a pretty good market for that now around home. I'm also trying to sell my current F-250 so I can get a smaller F-250 but with a diesel so I'll be able to economically drive from here to home and back as well as have plenty of capacity to handle a good load of equipment during the summer at home, as well as be able to do long distance runs with buying and selling equipment that I tinker with as well.

Part of the repair stuff for me is buying up old mowers (primarily residental lawn tractors), fixing them (as long as they aren't a money pit), testing them to ensure reliability, and reselling them. Sold a Murray last Thursday for $250, only had $45 in parts in it, and I used it to chop leaves and move some of the junkers to the woods at home for 2 weeks, so I got some use out of it as well as the $$$. What I determine to be unrepairable, I strip all the good parts off of them, take the hulk to a holding spot in the woods, and when I have a good load (usually 1 or 2 tons), I'll load all the hulks up and take them to sell for scrap metal.

benslandscapingny
01-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Im the one who started this whole conroversy and I just wanted to show people how I did on my own.

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 10:23 PM
smalltimer
What do you think of the 1983 Ariens GT-17 with the Kohler? The dealer told me yesterday that they had bad engine problems and said that it was not worth rebuilding, which we already had done a month a go. It seems to work great, and it cost about $700 to rebuild. Do you think its worth keeping or should I sell it? :waving:

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Ben, how many jobs are you planing to have next year?

Smalltimer1
01-13-2005, 10:35 PM
smalltimer
What do you think of the 1983 Ariens GT-17 with the Kohler? The dealer told me yesterday that they had bad engine problems and said that it was not worth rebuilding, which we already had done a month a go. It seems to work great, and it cost about $700 to rebuild. Do you think its worth keeping or should I sell it? :waving:

What model is the engine?? Sounds like it has the KT-17 Series 1.

If it is a Series 1 engine, avoid it like the plague, they only run 5-7 psi oil pressure, which is not enough to keep the engine properly lubed on hills, and you'll lose that engine in a heartbeat if you run it at an angle for too long. If it is a Series 2 it will be fine, they run close to 50 psi oil pressure, but the safe range is from 25-50 psi.

So basically, if its a Series 1, sell it while you can.

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Yea its a 1 I guess thats why I got it for free! Just wanted to make sure the dealer was just not trying to talk me in to buying another mower, thanks.

Smalltimer1
01-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Your other option would be to repower it. It would be cheaper than a new garden tractor, and you'd get another 21 years+ out of it.

If you lived down here, I could put a Kohler 18HP Magnum in yours for $2100 out the door.

lawnrangeralaska
01-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Im 17 an i have about 60 customers now . an like 8 new ones for next season

Metro Lawn
01-13-2005, 11:38 PM
How did u start out. I bet u werent all legal when u started wasnt u!

I bought an existing business with 48 accounts. The previous owner helped me get the insurance and my accountant/tax person took care of my taxes.

John P.
01-14-2005, 12:15 AM
I wanted to say that i don't like arguing with anyone on the site. Thats not why I wanted to join this site, I joined to talk to people who share common interests and enjoy the landscape business. It is pointless to argue about this topic because neither side will budge. Sure i can see why the older guys can get mad when they see us youngsters getting around and doing landscape work with out the license's or the insurance. I personally look up to the older guys, and someday be at the level they are working at. We should be helping each other instead of fighting over something like this.

Soupy
01-14-2005, 01:09 AM
I wanted to say that i don't like arguing with anyone on the site. Thats not why I wanted to join this site, I joined to talk to people who share common interests and enjoy the landscape business. It is pointless to argue about this topic because neither side will budge. Sure i can see why the older guys can get mad when they see us youngsters getting around and doing landscape work with out the license's or the insurance. I personally look up to the older guys, and someday be at the level they are working at. We should be helping each other instead of fighting over something like this.

That is true. And I could care less if you are legit or not, but please charge in the mid range for your market. Other then the governments loss revenue from not paying taxes. The only thing that a illegal LCO can do to effect me is lowball.

LHSlawnman86
01-16-2005, 08:34 PM
hey gateway user, what part of cincy are you in?

Gatewayuser
01-17-2005, 11:56 AM
Between Blanchester and Goshen.

RedWingsDet
01-17-2005, 02:01 PM
All these children doing so well... huh.. I would like to see a copy of their liability insurance, workmans comp., and maybe some tax returns showing all the money they are making running these "businesses" Just because your 14, 15, 16, ect., you are not exempt from the IRS.

You can't even own a business until your 18. You have to be an adult to enter into any agreement or contract.

Let me catch one of these little bastards running a "business" at that age around here. They will be paying taxes and fines off until they are collecting social security.

Well, you know my story Metro... However, when I applied for my name, they told me 18, I was 16. So I put it in my brothers name as Premier Landscaping.... Then a few months later I realized the name was being used in a different city around here, and I wanted an LLC. So I had my dad put it in his name, this time called "Mark's Premier Landscaping" and I got it as LLC.

However, I do have insurance, and I do pay taxes. Then once I'm 18, ill switch it over to my name, unless I decide to change the name. Hardest thing was when applying for the tax stuff, was deciding If it'd be better for me to go as a Partner-ship or Corporation, because obviously, tax-wise they work differently. Last year, by the end of the year, I had about 50 accounts, two trucks and two trailers. I recently sold one of my trailers and one of my mowers (50" Dixie). This year I plan on dropping that down to 20 residental accounts and gaining some commercial accounts.

Now, I know someone who is 18 and has 217 accounts, and he doesn't pay taxes or have insurance. Stuff like that pisses me off....
Also, I don't know if ya know Tocco and Mannino. But Mannino goes to my school. I always thought it was ran by their parents, but I guess not.

Everyone that is under 18 can get legal one way or another. Just a matter if you want to or not. Which is stupid if you dont. A few of my teachers who run business out side of school told me some pretty bad horror stories. Also, if you dont pay taxes and IRS finds out, they might shut you down, or make you pay a big fine + taxes and watch every move you make for 10 years!

Metro Lawn
01-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Well, you know my story Metro... However, when I applied for my name, they told me 18, I was 16. So I put it in my brothers name as Premier Landscaping.... Then a few months later I realized the name was being used in a different city around here, and I wanted an LLC. So I had my dad put it in his name, this time called "Mark's Premier Landscaping" and I got it as LLC.

However, I do have insurance, and I do pay taxes. Then once I'm 18, ill switch it over to my name, unless I decide to change the name. Hardest thing was when applying for the tax stuff, was deciding If it'd be better for me to go as a Partner-ship or Corporation, because obviously, tax-wise they work differently. Last year, by the end of the year, I had about 50 accounts, two trucks and two trailers. I recently sold one of my trailers and one of my mowers (50" Dixie). This year I plan on dropping that down to 20 residental accounts and gaining some commercial accounts.

Now, I know someone who is 18 and has 217 accounts, and he doesn't pay taxes or have insurance. Stuff like that pisses me off....
Also, I don't know if ya know Tocco and Mannino. But Mannino goes to my school. I always thought it was ran by their parents, but I guess not.

Everyone that is under 18 can get legal one way or another. Just a matter if you want to or not. Which is stupid if you dont. A few of my teachers who run business out side of school told me some pretty bad horror stories. Also, if you dont pay taxes and IRS finds out, they might shut you down, or make you pay a big fine + taxes and watch every move you make for 10 years!

Mark,
Thanks for responding. As you said (and I too), there is a way that you can do things the right way if you want to. I know about T&M been keeping an eye on them here lately. I don't have a problem with young people getting into this business and making a go of it. It is when they cut corners and cheat that ticks me off. They really don't effect me that much, only in the residential sector. The clients we have for commercial work are pretty big players. They want proof of insurance, workmans comp., 10 years of client references, ect. I don't see a 16 year old stepping on my toes there at all.

Smalltimer1
01-21-2005, 11:00 PM
Between Blanchester and Goshen.

Need a service manual for that engine in your Ariens? Email me and I'll see what I can do for you.

Gatewayuser
01-22-2005, 11:02 AM
I got a service manual a few weeks ago, the dealer printed one off of his computer. Thanks for asking though. I used the ariens snow plowing all day yesterday and it worked great but it used about a half a qt. of oil. And now its leaking hydro oil from the attachment control quickly.

Tvov
01-22-2005, 01:00 PM
I have a Bob cat 48' and I plan to buy a exmark ztr in 2 years when I get my drivers license.

Well, looks like you are working hard. Keep it up!

(Thought someone ought to say it)

Smalltimer1
01-22-2005, 06:28 PM
I got a service manual a few weeks ago, the dealer printed one off of his computer. Thanks for asking though. I used the ariens snow plowing all day yesterday and it worked great but it used about a half a qt. of oil. And now its leaking hydro oil from the attachment control quickly.

Yeah, keep an eye on the oil. Does it smoke, or is it just blow-by? Is it leaking from the lever or the axle or the pump? I believe it has a transaxle hydro pump that pressurizes the system. You'd need to get a seal for it, and take a day or so to tear into it and put it in.

I had to replace an axle seal in my JD 140 last Feburary, which was a bear of a job, still have to rethread the axle spindle and then put the hub and wheel back on. I know how old equipment can be, just have to be patient with it.

I am looking at a 1966 Allis Chalmers Big 10 garden tractor right now that comes with a snow thrower and a snow blade and a 42" mower deck for $500. Says all it needs is a new battery. I figure if it doesn't snow any more, I can at least have another good mower to use, if not I can make back what I'd have in it from plowing. I think I may be able to work out using the snowthrower on the front and the snow blade on the back, and be able to take care of business that way.

Gatewayuser
01-22-2005, 07:41 PM
No, it does not smoke at all, and the hydro is leaking from the gasket at the attachment control pump I can watch it spray fluid. Hoses are shot too.

Gatewayuser
01-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Ben does your bobcat have a stripe kit on it? It leaves a great stripe for how short the grass was, whats the height of the lawn that you were cutting?

Smalltimer1
01-22-2005, 10:12 PM
No, it does not smoke at all, and the hydro is leaking from the gasket at the attachment control pump I can watch it spray fluid. Hoses are shot too.

Make sure that fluid does not get on the electric clutch, if it does, it will ruin your engine. Saw an electric clutch go bad and it wiped out a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel. Scored the crank pretty bad and ruined the main and rod bearings on the crank and rods.

Todd's lawncare
02-10-2005, 03:03 AM
the owner of this site should make an age requirement one had a new caddy all new mowers B.S i been in it for 2 years and i do a S@$^ load of things besides mowing and i don't have any thing newer then 2000 go back to pre-k and for the hardship is for like guys just out of jail for a dui and the can only drive to work and back

rockstate
02-10-2005, 09:04 AM
I am 17 in Kansas City, I mow 65 weekly accounts, we have a 52" 23 kaw stander. 48"Exmark TTHP, 36" Gravely pro belt. 2 Shindaiwa T2500s, Husqvarna back pack, and a redmax EB 7001. During the summer we can knock down 25 accounts in a day if we work from dawn to dusk. If you have the right equipment you can do it. Right now im looking into buying a 60" Lazer 27hp. I am also fully insured. I started out when i was 14 with a john deere lawn tractor.

GTLC
02-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Good for you. Keep up the good work.

CamLand
02-10-2005, 03:18 PM
the owner of this site should make an age requirement one had a new caddy all new mowers B.S i been in it for 2 years and i do a S@$^ load of things besides mowing and i don't have any thing newer then 2000 go back to pre-k and for the hardship is for like guys just out of jail for a dui and the can only drive to work and back

Psycho babble ;) ;) ;) :eek:

Garth
02-10-2005, 04:23 PM
12 residential no commercial yet. the mowing season is over in ny so next year i will have a lot more than i can handle
I say good for you laddy. I, too, started at 14 designing a garden for my Mum.The local laird loved it and had me do one for his daughter Fiona. Within four years my mates and I were making about three thousand quid a month. That's about $4500 U.S.dollars. I moved to back to America with my parents but proudly paid my own way. I still have my certificates from the Royal Horticultural Society and a picture of me shaking hands with Alan Titchmarsh. We had accounts from Ullapool to Fort William and did the grounds for three castles but 51% income tax got tiresome so I've been here now for twenty-two years. Go-neiri an bothar leat-Best of luck to you.-Garth

The Lawn Boy Pro
02-10-2005, 07:06 PM

Dude, thats a great start. If you can manage work and school, you is a bustin butts. Just make sure you leave PLENTY of room for girls too :p Girls love guys with payup

BTW,

AIM Address: LorenHaus16
MSN Messenger: LorenHaus17@msn.com
Yahoo Messenger: LorenHaus16@sbcglobal.net

MarcusLndscp
02-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Wow, what a disappointing thread to read. There are all these young guys on here not only getting an education (maybe some better than others but either way it doesn't matter) but they are also dedicating alot of their time to work. That's unbelievable to me that there are grown men on here argueing with teenagers about actually having a work ethic!!! Yes, it is illegal about all the insurances and the taxes and it certainly sucks that they might take 98 $10 lawns from the real LCO's but you know what......WHO CARES???? If you are a true professional you should be able to do a MUCH MUCH better job at lawn care than a teenager right? So you should get just as many if not more lawns than them (and charge more) because your accounts look better. And I'm not saying you young guys do a bad job, I'm simply guessing that most of you don't fertilize, spray for broadleaf, aerate, dethatch, lime etc etc etc. Whoever it was that started this thread (the 14 year old I think) had some pretty kickin lines for someone who just started puberty. When I was at that age the itch in my pants for every girl that passed would have had my lines all over the place! LOL! And maybe if the competition in your area consists of teenagers that are actually taking business from "real LCO's" then I would think you screwed yourself and started a company in the WRONG area!
I'm a guy who's 28 has been in the field for 10 years, I have a B.S. in Horticulture, and I work for clients who have more money than God. If I have a son someday I hope he will have the same work ethic and aspirations that all of you have, even if he's taking work from me. Keep up the good work and just so you know there are many people out there screwing the system and they don't work at all and make good money at it!!! That pisses me off!
Keep mowing and growing and congrats to all of you

lawnrangeralaska
02-21-2005, 01:22 PM
if you do good work you will have no comp...

Kubota130
02-24-2005, 06:35 PM

It is the same in New Brunswick and all of you guys that don't take us serious need to rethink what your saying if you are insured and registered and pay for a crew and reinvest in you company then you are a legit business so lay of the legit crowd and the 10 year old mowing the 95 year old veteran next door. Worry about the uninsured and unlicensed guys not us!!

dvmcmrhp52
02-24-2005, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE=Gatewayuser]. Also if you think I would some how get in trouble by the Gov. guess what I mow for townships, towns, schools and post offices and they all know my age.

Yup.
Uhuh.
:rolleyes:

Gatewayuser
02-25-2005, 10:55 PM
dvmcmrhp52
Guess what I don't care what you think, if you think I'm lying I don't care because I know that I'm telling the truth. Like I said in another post, I am fully legal with every thing in my name. Also I will be 18 shortly then I will start working with contracts.

dvmcmrhp52
02-25-2005, 11:00 PM
dvmcmrhp52
Guess what I don't care what you think, if you think I'm lying I don't care because I know that I'm telling the truth. Like I said in another post, I am fully legal with every thing in my name. Also I will be 18 shortly then I will start working with contracts.

Sorry kid but government entities are not allowed by law to do business with minors.

Gatewayuser
02-25-2005, 11:53 PM
Maybe your right about that but they knew how old I was, owell does'nt matter this year. :waving:

Gatewayuser
02-25-2005, 11:55 PM
By the way how old are you dvmcmrhp52?

Jacob's Yardworks LLC
03-08-2006, 11:25 PM
im 15 and i have my own business which is registered and legal.

Colsrob
06-11-2006, 06:05 PM
I realise that im getting to this post kinda late,but I found an answer for Gateway.

I too live in Ohio and did a search based on your claims of our laws.You are incorrect.The laws refering to minors(those under the age of 18) says:

To prevent the employment of minors, "individuals under 18," in any occupations found hazardous or detrimental to the health and well-being of minors, the Director of the Ohio Department of Commerce is authorized to issue rules pursuant to Section 4109.05 of the Ohio Revised Code prohibiting the employment of minors in occupations determined to be hazardous.

The following is a summary only and should not be construed as a complete listing of prohibited occupations for minors.

Operation of power driven slicers; bakery machines; paper product machines; metal forming; punching or shearing machines; circular and band saws; guillotine shears; woodworking machines
Manufacture and storage of chemicals or explosives, or exposure to radioactive and ionizing radiation substances
Logging and saw milling
Roofing operations

A self propelled lawnmower falls under the classification of power driven.That would also cover 20" self propelled.They give leeway to those that are only mowing for a couple of neighbors,but when you claim to have 10-20 lawns a week,you have gone past the break point.

I understand that you are turning 18 soon and these laws will no longer affect you.But,the township that hired you to mow for them are breaking the law.

I hope you do well in your future business ventures and im glad you chose to try and do things by the book.For the others that are underage,I have no idea the laws in your state,but its easy to look up.You might want to give it a shot.As others have already said,if something goes wrong on a job and you do some damage,because of your underage status they will not be able to go after you,but they will go after your legal guardians...ie:your parents.

Gatewayuser
06-11-2006, 06:43 PM
I realise that im getting to this post kinda late,but I found an answer for Gateway.

I too live in Ohio and did a search based on your claims of our laws.You are incorrect.The laws refering to minors(those under the age of 18) says:

Logging and saw milling
Roofing operations

A self propelled lawnmower falls under the classification of power driven.That would also cover 20" self propelled.They give leeway to those that are only mowing for a couple of neighbors,but when you claim to have 10-20 lawns a week,you have gone past the break point.

I understand that you are turning 18 soon and these laws will no longer affect you.But,the township that hired you to mow for them are breaking the law.

I hope you do well in your future business ventures and im glad you chose to try and do things by the book.For the others that are underage,I have no idea the laws in your state,but its easy to look up.You might want to give it a shot.As others have already said,if something goes wrong on a job and you do some damage,because of your underage status they will not be able to go after you,but they will go after your legal guardians...ie:your parents.

You got to this super late I'm 19 now and have 2 full time and 1 part time employee. The law applies to an employee, looks like they changed the law I guess you can't drive cars anymore they are power driven. I wonder why I have had lic and insurance since 16, in OH you can have pest lic at 16 you don't think thats dangerous.:rolleyes: You might all as well drop it because it does not matter I did everything the same as everyone and legal. Sean go ahead and close the thread please.
Thanks!

Gatewayuser
06-11-2006, 06:46 PM
By the way you really made a great name for yourself already on here your first was about that I feel special.:laugh:
J/k Welcome to Lawnsite.com hope you enjoy your stay!:waving:

NNJLandman
06-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Im 20 years old and all Legit running my business and I almost choke when I see and hear about you way younger guys (14-15ers) cutting lawns, having 20-50 lawns to do a week and having these big expensive mowers etc. Maybe you just havta wait til you get your OWN vehicals that require gas, insurance, registration, and maintenance/repairs. What im more suprised about is that all these "customers" acctually let you on their property w/o insurance. They are taking a huge risk, plus if something goes wrong like you wreck a customers property, now your parents are held liable.

Jeff

jazak
06-12-2006, 12:26 AM
I have insurance and I am 15 because I am with my dads company. But I agree with you.

emil35
06-12-2006, 02:31 AM
I started my own business when I was 13. I had my parents sign on with me, them owning 51%, me owning 49%, so legally I could get insurance, pay taxes, workman's comp, etc. My mother is an attorney and made sure I did it right. I worked hard, but had a life at school and socially as well. I dont believe the 98 lawns a week or whatever I read earlier in this post. I have about 15-20 regulars and that's enough for me...actually considering downsizing for college next fall. Now that I'm 18, it's all in my name. I called around and made sure I wasn't lowballing...I actually charge more than most but I do great work and people will pay for my services over the guy that has 98 accounts and can't give some personal attention to the client. I'm not saying I'm a business man yet, but it's given me a chance to have hands on learning that will go with me for life. Now I don't agree with doing it illegally (w/out insurance, paying taxes, etc.) but I don't think I hurt the industry at all. I do great work, charge accordingly, and don't lowball. Oh yea, did I mention do it legally? I think it's great for younger folks to get out and run their own business, but only if they want to do it right...not half assed. but i'm sure if they run there business half assed, their work is the same way.

Gatewayuser
06-12-2006, 07:53 AM
I will say it one more time I was legal at 16 you could not have been anymore legal. If you don't believe me then to bad for you I know that I'm telling the truth. But that was 3 years ago anyway.

ALarsh
06-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Im 20 years old and all Legit running my business and I almost choke when I see and hear about you way younger guys (14-15ers) cutting lawns, having 20-50 lawns to do a week and having these big expensive mowers etc. Maybe you just havta wait til you get your OWN vehicals that require gas, insurance, registration, and maintenance/repairs. What im more suprised about is that all these "customers" acctually let you on their property w/o insurance. They are taking a huge risk, plus if something goes wrong like you wreck a customers property, now your parents are held liable.

Jeff
Wreck a persons property? What is the worst your going to do? Throw a rock through the window? Then pay for it... no big deal... No cutting is done if people are outside... It's grass cutting, not rocket science. Anybody can do it.

The 98 lawns thing was a joke on the first page... Somebody (15 years old) said they do 50 some lawns and I replied that I do 98... Relax people! I do 17 weekly and have 5 that call periodically for one time cuts... Some of you guys need to chill!:dizzy:

Ol'time Lawncare
06-12-2006, 02:28 PM
here are a few pics of me mowing a few months ago
Son... i understand how you feel wanting to grow up so fast.But NO your not in business.Any body can go cut grass,that doesn't mean your a business man.How much money, if i may ask ,did you pay in taxes last year...Commercial accounts??? thats right, you don't have any.What fool would award a kid an account like that? Think about it.Your job title is: KID WANTING TO MAKE MONEY! :laugh: P.S. what would happen if your mower went crazy and hit a kid and Chopped his arms off cause you couldn.t handle that big MAN machine your acking like your using in the picture???

emil35
06-12-2006, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE=Ol'time Lawncare]Commercial accounts??? thats right, you don't have any.What fool would award a kid an account like that? QUOTE]

I landed my first commercial account when I was 13 years old, and have gotten more every year since. I've also kept everyone of them unless if I chose not to renew, or if the annual bidding was too low for my liking. So it's possible...

ALarsh
06-12-2006, 07:55 PM
I have a commercial at 16... and no I wasn't the lowest bidder.

emil35
06-13-2006, 02:15 AM
I wasn't the low bidder either

Sandgropher
06-13-2006, 04:43 AM
My god just reading this, when i was a teenager i was playing space invaders and pin ball machines, the kids today sure grow up fast. :)

rtyus
06-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Incorrect, I worked my ass off in public school and EARNED a 3.85 GPA at graduation, at which point I was 9th in my class. :realmad: I don't appreciate being chopped down, I know what I'm talking about, if I don't, I know not to say anything. When my mother has been in the education field for 27 years and my aunt has been in it for 21 years, you'd think I'd know a thing or 2 from listening to them.......

When I was in the Scouts about 1/2 my troop was home schooled. I basically had to kick them in the butt to get them to do anything, and do it right. Two brothers' mother in our troop pulled them out of public school, because of a personality conflict with a teacher, and home schooled them. They were worthless in the woods, unmotivated, lazy, and did everything possible to get out of work and pulling their weight. They cried when I told them to set the tent up for the first time. There was another homeschooled kid in the troop and he thought that he was better than everyone else......and he knew too much; we all called him Mr. Gore, very intelligent, but what he knew was irrelevant to what was going on. None of them knew how to behave either.

Better watch what you say. The toes you step on today may be part of the foot that kicks you in the butt tomorrow.

While i will not revert to an ad hominem and call you a ****** as travis did i will say that your premise is totally false. You said that homeschooling is inadequate, and the lazy way out. This is based on what, your limited experiences with some guys in your cub scout group? The fact of the matter is that homeschooling, if employed properly can have an inherent benefit over public school, that is not a guarantee however. I was public school educated until third grade and homeschooled from thereon until graduation, when I was eleven I started working for a lady in our homeschool group, this privilege was predicated upon the fact that I completed my school work. I would list my activities from there until present but it would take far too long but i will say this that the whole time me and my sister were growing up we were always complimented on our intelligence, manners , social skills and work ethic. Ninety percent of the other homeschooled people that I know( and i know a heck of a lot more than you or your mother did or does) share similar experiences. So instead of making a totally baseles generalization, the only valid statement you can make is that in your experience the homechoolers that you knew were not that adaptible to social experiences outside of there sphere of knowledge. I totally agree with you that there are homeschoolers like that but it is not the majority, just remember that a flawed model doesn't necessarily negate a principle. I welcome your response.

Thanks,
Ryan

P.S. I am rtyus' son I just bought my own house and moved out six months ago and haven't gotten internet access yet access so my own screenname timed out or some odd thing, it won't let me log in, anyhow just wanted to clarify who was doing the typing here.

rtyus
06-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Sorry to all, I didn't notice the age of this thread when i posted. Once I got to smalltimers post about homeschoolers I didn't read the rest of the thread before i posted my response. Happy Mowing.

rklawnmowing
06-14-2006, 05:19 PM
I will say it one more time I was legal at 16 you could not have been anymore legal. If you don't believe me then to bad for you I know that I'm telling the truth. But that was 3 years ago anyway.

i must say good job doing so much in so little time, im only 17 gonna be 18 in 2 months and cut a about 6-7 lawns a week, im cerainly not legal, but i don't have a name or anything, im not low balling thats for sure.
so hows the house buying going. im hoping in 4 yrs i'll be able to buy a nice house but who knows how that will work out.

Gatewayuser
06-14-2006, 06:21 PM
i must say good job doing so much in so little time, im only 17 gonna be 18 in 2 months and cut a about 6-7 lawns a week, im cerainly not legal, but i don't have a name or anything, im not low balling thats for sure.
so hows the house buying going. im hoping in 4 yrs i'll be able to buy a nice house but who knows how that will work out.

How did you know about that?
I decided not to buy the house instead I want to buy some land and have one built custom in a couple of years.

rklawnmowing
06-14-2006, 07:45 PM
you said you were going to buy a house on page 1 of this thread in 2005

ProStreetCamaro
06-18-2006, 11:05 AM

You cut 6-7 lawns a week and are not legal (I am assuming your not paying taxes) and you think you will be able to buy a house in 4 years? They require at least 3 years of tax records and most require a 20% down payment on the house and at your age I bet you dont have much credit either. Around here a small good shape house thats 30+ years old on a 6K lot goes for 500K to 600K and a newer house your looking at 700K to 1 million. You might want to concider getting more lawns (alot more) and start paying taxes if your not already. Im not cutting on you I just want to give you a heads up so you will be fully prepared when your ready to buy the :usflag: dream!

South Florida Lawns
06-18-2006, 04:27 PM
y do these old threads keep coming back?

Lazer_Z
06-18-2006, 05:40 PM
y do these old threads keep coming back?
Because new guys join and go all through the threads and find something that they feel like replying to with out realizing that the thread is like 5 or 6 years old :dizzy: .

Rob

INlawncare
06-21-2006, 02:10 AM
I'd like to see pictures of some of these peoples work that mow 98 lawns a week like they claim. I am willing to bet that they look pretty crappy and i bet that they are just a mow and go service. I can see with running a crew but by yourself, no way you can be mowing all those lawns and make them look good without a crew.

Signature Landscaping1
06-21-2006, 09:54 PM
I PM' ed Travis Strecker(the kid with 52 accounts) about 6 months ago. Never got a response.

Petr51488
06-21-2006, 11:19 PM
I PM' ed Travis Strecker(the kid with 52 accounts) about 6 months ago. Never got a response.

Give it up already.. you know how old this thread is????

jazak
06-22-2006, 12:02 AM
Give it up already.. you know how old this thread is????

Exactly. It should just be deleted.

Signature Landscaping1
06-22-2006, 05:05 PM
I know, your abosolutly right! It should forgotten.

Lawn Enforcer
07-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Hey, congrats on the business. I'm 15 and I started when I was 11. I also have a 6x12 trailer and a Toro 44" hydro, Dixon ZTR 50". Biggest purchase this year, a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 V8.

crawdad
07-27-2006, 05:45 PM
I know, your abosolutly right! It should forgotten.

Ya, he's 15 now!
He's moved on to something else.
Ha! Ha!

Splicer
10-18-2006, 12:16 AM
It does not matter now but...Gateway User was and is telling the truth...I found out that he had mowed for his township AND post office before he was 18...This from the Post mistress herself...His township always gets someone different...this way all are supported...and he was supported...No B.S...:clapping:

KS_Grasscutter
10-18-2006, 09:15 PM
It does not matter now but...Gateway User was and is telling the truth...I found out that he had mowed for his township AND post office before he was 18...This from the Post mistress herself...His township always gets someone different...this way all are supported...and he was supported...No B.S...:clapping:

Wow... this thread should have been dead many times i guess, but it just keeps coming back... and back... and back...

Tvov
10-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Post mistress herself...

Hmmm... I guess it's just my dirty mind...

emil35
10-19-2006, 04:27 AM
Wow... this thread should have been dead many times i guess, but it just keeps coming back... and back... and back...

I have to agree. Thought it had been killed already. Think Sean should lock it!

Gatewayuser
10-19-2006, 08:10 AM
It's like the energizer bunny it just keeps going and going.:rolleyes: