PDA

View Full Version : At what point do you stop service?

turf hokie
01-10-2005, 08:11 AM
I am just looking for what you guys (fert only companies) use as your standard. I am trying to set one and stick with it.

Do you not service their account until the previous round is paid?

Do you allow them to owe you 2 rounds before you stop service?

Do you use another method?

I was going to go with the 1st choice.

Thanks

GrazerZ
01-10-2005, 09:09 AM
I don't continue until the last round is paid. I will give a courtesy call to let them know that they are due for another application, but we have not recieved payment for the last one. If they are on a payment plan for 6 months, like large properties, then I might let it run a little over, but I still call. I always hate doing it, but it yeilds good results. I always try to be very professional and nice. Most of the time they just forget. I think that if they cannot afford to pay for it then they shouldn't have it. Another words, its a premium service that they don't need.

qps
01-10-2005, 09:17 AM
I am just looking for what you guys (fert only companies) use as your standard. I am trying to set one and stick with it.

Do you not service their account until the previous round is paid?

Do you allow them to owe you 2 rounds before you stop service?

Do you use another method?

I was going to go with the 1st choice.

Thanks

you'll find that the people who pay late are the ones that always pay late, after a couple times of this happening I just don't show up until the last round is paid, they get the ideal when the weeds are over taking there yard, but they never complain...go figure.... you sometimes have to fire your customers, good luck in keeping your PG unit, can't wait for the z-spray to get here. :)

TOTALLAWN OF KY
01-10-2005, 01:29 PM
I agree its your business if they don't pay try a call. i know the ones who pay fast and which pay slow
in the 3 years i have had my own business i have had three accounts that i stopped going to .one guy called me and wanted me back but blamed billing on his wife but i just decided not to go back ...less head ache I also have a note on my invoice (to pay on receipt )or i will beat the crap out of them
that works also lol j/k
i am always upfront with my new sales and explain to pay upon receipt as i am a new business
works well for me

turf hokie
01-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks guys.
All my customers are net 30 right now. Maybe I should make it upon receipt. But so far I only have a couple of slow payers. I am just antsy right now b/c my invoices were due to be paid around the holidays and 1/3 of my customers are late but they are starting to trickle in.

qps
thanks for the PG support. All should work out....I'll keep you guys posted after my 1st round.

turf hokie
01-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Total lawn

1st year in business and part time this year. Already have one that did not get final service and will not see me on their property again. They ignored phone calls and my collections letters. Luckily I caught it after two missed payments. Good lesson at a cheap price. That is the main reason I was looking at what policies guys used as a rule of thumb.

Thanks again.

qps
01-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Total lawn

1st year in business and part time this year. Already have one that did not get final service and will not see me on their property again. They ignored phone calls and my collections letters. Luckily I caught it after two missed payments. Good lesson at a cheap price. That is the main reason I was looking at what policies guys used as a rule of thumb.

Thanks again.

I know this may sound to simple, but if you do a good job and keep your word to your customers, tell the truth no matter if they like it or not. the rest seems to take care of itself, every homeowner is a "expert" in turf. Also don't give your services away, there will always be someone that's cheaper and you never want to be there. Best of Luck :) oh yeah...ignore the urge to spray round-up or sahara on the non paying customers lawns :)

turf hokie
01-11-2005, 08:03 AM
I was thinking I could find someone with some Tordon left over!!!!!!!!!!

TOTALLAWN OF KY
01-12-2005, 10:08 AM
turf hokie,
i was part time my first year as well , i found that it helped when i told people this ,they seemed to want to pay right there, i really didn't want to seem needy or try to collect right there ,but most people understands and want to help out .those are the customers you want .sounds like your doing great and i wish you all the luck .try to rely on your instinct and common sense its easy to get caught up in the whole thing and over look some silly stuff. i have done that and kicked myself lol

turf hokie
01-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Yup, I had the customers that were very encouraging and quick payers as well. But on the flip side I also have had a couple that looked at me funny and suddenly my knowledge went down about 3 levels b/c I was ONLY PARTIME.

People are funny.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really excited about going full time in March. Got the taste of being my own boss and it's killing me to clock in at my current job these days. Besides the money is just a touch better as an owner payup