PDA

View Full Version : shirts yes or no?

Trimline
01-27-2001, 02:14 PM
During the summer months it can get pretty hot around here.
I was wondering if any of you make your guys wear shirts on residential jobs. As of right now I don't but I am not sure if it is to unproffesional.

LoneStarLawn
01-27-2001, 02:18 PM
I would consider companies that do not wear shirts as being unprofesional. It gets hot down here in Texas and with future employees it will be a must to wear the correct attire on the job. We wear T-shirts with logo and with the Texas heat it's not that bad.

TGCummings
01-27-2001, 02:22 PM
I don't think I'd allow shirtless workers on residential or high traffic commercial jobs, but tank tops or other light attire (preferrably with your logo!) would seem acceptable.

If their cutting away fields in an out of the way place I would think shirtless work would be just fine...

-TGC

Guido
01-27-2001, 02:25 PM
Shirts off would be a bit unproffesional, but if you get your company logo on some tank tops or on sleeveless shirts (from the factory, not all torn and ripped) would keep them cool and give off a professional image at the same time.

awm
01-27-2001, 02:45 PM
SOME SORT OF SHIRT.One thing ive found to my
suprize is that most t shirts other than loose muscle
type actually hold body heat more than light
button ups.Also a light color is advisable.
We have a service in town that uses an almost
black . hottest thing ive seen.nice looking
but not at 95 degrees

mowerman90
01-27-2001, 03:08 PM
Being in Central Florida in the summer is certainly hot. But not wearing shirts just looks unprofessional. After working here for 11 years in this business I've found that one of the hottest shirts to wear is a 100% Cotton T-Shirt. Once the cotton gets sweaty it takes forever to dry out. I've found much better luck with the 50/50 blend T-Shirts. They still get wet from all the sweat. But they seem to dry much faster. They also don't shrink as much and seem to last much longer. Years ago I purchased some collared shirts from Wearguard that were what they called "open weave". They were fairly cool also. I think you can still get them through Nebs now.

stick9
01-27-2001, 03:27 PM
Ask yourselves this question. If you were the customer, would you: A) Rather have a lawn crew that only did a so-so job because they were so hot and uncomfortable?, or B) Want a lawn crew that did a phenomenal job because they were comfortable and cool?

I think that the job should speak for itself. If someone is comfortable, he/she is going to be more productive and do a better job. I know that some people will say 'but we do a fantastic job even when were hot' or 'it's not THAT bad' .. well, let me tell you .. it could be better. You're employees will benefit from a lax in this area. They will work harder, faster, and do a better job.

Next thing you'll tell me is that you don't allow your employees to sweat because it isn't clean and proper.

(There are, however, lines to be drawn. We once knew a lawn crew who wore dresses for an entire day of work - and yes, this was an all male company)

StiCK-NinE

1MajorTom
01-27-2001, 03:33 PM
Not an option here. Shirt remains on. :)

All kidding aside, I do think it is best for everyone to wear a shirt.

Jodi

KirbysLawn
01-27-2001, 04:00 PM
Shirts on. Here in NC we have hot summers with high humidity, just as Jodi said it's not an option just have lots of shirts. I can't imagine my plumber, a/c repairman, pool guy, or whatever coming shirtless. Yuck!!

dmk395
01-27-2001, 04:18 PM
I never wear a shirt when its hot, unless going to talk to a customer. In my area I dont think anyone cares, in fact i know for a fact its gotten me additional jobs from women. Either way to each his own.

Davis TLC
01-27-2001, 05:09 PM
It is shirts on for us. We have high temps and humidity here in Middle TN. The only concession I make is sleeveless T-shirts which all have our company name on them. I'd much rather change shirts than try to get all the grass off my sweaty body. Besides all that grass that blows out and gets wind born makes for a terrible case of itching.

65hoss
01-27-2001, 05:24 PM
Most of the employee types work better when they feel good about themselves. I'm not talking heat related. People act better when they are dressed better. So not only is it good for your company image, but it makes your people feel like part of the team.

kermit
01-27-2001, 05:55 PM
You are opening your company up to workmans compensation claims when your employee gets skin cancer from not wearing a shirt. With the number of hours we spend in the sun skin cancer is a very real possibiliy. Our policy has been company shirts,which we pay for, for everyone. Looks more professional too.

osc
01-27-2001, 06:45 PM
Take a hint from the people who live in very hot climates like the migrant workers or people from the Middle East. They keep their shirts on and and sometimes they wear long sleeves.
If the weather is not too humid but very hot, the best thing you can do is cover your body up and wear a big hat to boot. Sun exposure is not good. We have had a few workers take their shirts off on industrial sights way out where people can't see them and every time these little dumb white boys get the p#ss burnt out of them. The next day they aren't feeling too well and don't work too well either.
You see on our crews this is no day at the beach and unless you are black or hispanic you are going to fry like an egg after 10 or 12 hours in the sun. This is one area where I discriminate, white boys must keep their shirts on because I don't feel like replacing workers who get sun poisoning.

Stonewall
01-27-2001, 07:33 PM
Shirt's on at all times.

jimsmowin
01-27-2001, 08:03 PM
we have clothing for all seasons. summer shirts are a must. also must wear co. logo shirts.

Bama
01-27-2001, 08:22 PM
If a worker is willing to tatoo my logo across his entire chest and back, then I'll consider letting him go shirtless!
Otherwise, no way! Doesn't that sound reasonable?
BAMA

HigherPoweredLawnCare
01-27-2001, 08:24 PM
I work by myself, but I agree with others that wearing a shirt looks professional and protects against skin cancer. I know I wouldn't want someone taking care of my yard with no shirt.

Thanks,

Robert

pace lawn care
01-27-2001, 08:40 PM
Shirts on. If my customers saw me without one they'ed laugh me off their lawn.

bob
01-27-2001, 10:56 PM
The shirts stay on all the time.

kutnkru
01-27-2001, 11:08 PM
For the crews that have the muscle bound's there seems to be no complaint, but for those outta shape there is.

We used to wear shirts for commercial or industrial accounts only. I was just doing like other companies do. Afterall, I started out working my original client base for someone else and that was what we were told was okay.

I think some clients prefer no shirts and others dont. So for the past three years we have implemented tank tops into our unforms and they seem to have worked out well with clients opinons.

I also think it is more difficult to sell professionalism when you are topless or shirtless. Seen 'em both.

Just my .02
Kris

Randy Scott
01-27-2001, 11:29 PM
Definately think the shirts need to stay on, more professional. I think we want to portray as professional an image as we can. You don't see the local utilities or municipalities with their shirts off, you aren't allowed into stores with your shirt off, the local little league wears their shirts. We all know it gets hot in summer, and if a shirt is the only thing keeping you from doing a good job, thinking it is that much cooler with it off, you are in sad shape and probably have some health issues. I am still currently working my bodyshop job as a painter, you should try wearing a paint suit from head to toe, drag a fresh air system off your back, and still try not to get sweat on the customers car. I have to tape my rubber gloves to my paint suit at the wrists so sweat doesn't drip on the cars. Then when your done, turn the spraybooth on bake for 40 minutes at 140 degrees, and prep the next car 10 feet away from the booth. Let me tell you, a 90 degree day in the sun, mowing lawns and trimmin', I'll take it as soon as I can get it!

stick9
01-28-2001, 12:53 AM
Why is it that I am ALWAYS on the other end of the discussion from everyone else? It's like 20 to 1 in favor of shirts. :)

stIck-nIne

geogunn
01-28-2001, 02:46 AM
STICK--NO COMMENT FROM THE PEANUT GALLERY ON THE 20 TO ONE AGAINST YOU!

let me make it 21-1.;)

GEO

HOMER
01-28-2001, 05:08 AM
22-1

There's a guy that must be from another town, he cuts the Burger King. I see him every year wearing no shirt, shorts, no shoes. That's his uniform, a pair of shorts. He isn't even built that well (not that I pay attention) but he looks ridiculous out there on the main drag with nothing on. I wear a shirt with my business name on it and it stays tucked in. We did go sleeveless the past couple of years and have changed the color to a light grey, sleeveless shirts seem to be 50% cooler just by letting your arm pits breath!

rdh
01-28-2001, 06:10 AM
i have seen alot of lawncare co. with out shirts iknow because i lay blacktop and when i see them it makes me want to start mowing osha is the the resone i wear shirts.
mowing with a shirt off i would think that customers residental wouldnt care they know its hot out that may be
the reason you got there job.
only resone to wear a shirt should be if you are mowing a church or for a company that makes employes wear theres(like a city blding cem plant )or tatoos of naked girls and white power i think it all boils down to what job your on
i wouldnt work for the pay some lco pay and have to keep
shirt on all day and suffer

[Edited by rdh on 01-28-2001 at 06:13 AM]

Charles
01-28-2001, 09:12 AM
24-2
I wear a cotton t-shirt and jeans and a hat. More professional looking and you need to keep as much as possible covered up to block the sun. Skin cancer is not just something that happens overnite. It is the cullimination of being exposed to the sun over many years. So a hat is a neccesity too to block some of the rays from your face. Nothing looks nastier that sweaty legs and body covered with dirt and grass to a customer.

SpringValley
01-28-2001, 09:25 AM
Definitely shirts on. My best and number one employee is my wife and I don't think I could get her to take her shirt off LOL!! Honestly though, I think going shirtless is very unprofessional. Just the same for drinking a brew in front of the customer. The shirt with logo would also make a great first impression on potenital new customers. I wouldn't want to be known as the guy who mows with his shirt off. I am going to look into sleeveless shirts though.

Matt

lawman
01-28-2001, 09:34 AM
I make my personal wear shirts at all times. The risk of sun burn is alwasys there and it looks unprofesional.

Man Joe
01-28-2001, 10:55 AM
After going through an Operation at our local hospital for removal of a skin cancer on my neck I make it a point to cover up completely. Wearing a wide brim hat, long sleeve shirts, long pants all the time. Even on cloudy days. All of the cancer was removed and the skin borders around it were clear so the doctor said it was cured at that point.

I remember one hot day sitting in my truck and feeling a definite stinging sensation in my neck .Didn't pay too much attention to it,. but the cancer started small and just kept growing. I took my wife to the doctor quite a while later. Really can't remember how long.While we were there for her ,she asked him to examine my neck. This led to a test and the operation.Guess you could say she saved my neck that time.

CCLC
01-28-2001, 02:55 PM
We have a shirt rule.

Shirts on at all times... no ifs, ands, or buts.

We want to look professional and not show off our sagging bellies and farmers tans.

All of employees seem to understand and don't have a problem with it. With most of our work being done on high end residential or commerical we want to look our best.

Oh yes, shorts are allowed but no cut-offs.

1stclasslawns
01-28-2001, 06:13 PM
Shirts ON, if they take their shirt off they will be quiting as far as Im concerned.
In 10 years are they going to look me up after I become a multi million dollar company and sue me for skin cancer?

Shirts,hats, eye protection, ear plugs, along with sun screen is provided free of charge. I do everything to protect them it is their chioce to use or not if they dont I can show where it is provided and they didnt take "due effort" to protect their self. If I provide safty equipment and they dont wear it chances are they dont care in the first place, and I dont need them.

dhicks
01-28-2001, 08:01 PM
No shirt, no shoes, no job.

JimLewis
01-28-2001, 08:26 PM
Company shirts are a must with our company as well. Anything less is considered very unprofessional.

On the very very hot days my employees do have some company tank tops. But I only let them wear them on very hot days. Even those don't look quite as professional.

I guess it depends on the area you are working in. One guy here mentioned the people in his area don't really care. Fine. If that's where you work, I guess go for it. But we work predominately in very upscale neighboroods and image as important to the client as it is to the company in our area. I have NEVER seen any of the professional companies let their guys go totally shirtless. And I am sure if they did, they wouldn't be working in this area for long.

I totally disagree with stick9. I doubt anyone would ever be able to notice a difference between a job we did with a shirt on vs. a job we did shirtless. And if I were a customer, yes, I'd prefer the people at my house look professional and wear shirts. Call me a snob.

HOMER
01-29-2001, 12:17 AM
O.K. Jim, your a snob! :D:

But your right! Around here I guess you would be considered a redneck if you went shirtless and I don't think you would get that much work. Matter of fact there is a guy that has a very small operation and every where you see him he is shirtless and has cut off shorts. Could be why he has a "very" small operation. He was in business before I went full time and as far as I can tell hasn't grown a lick.

Just kiddin' Jim!

jasonp
01-29-2001, 12:30 AM
I wouldnt be seen without a shirt.

KirbysLawn
01-29-2001, 12:46 AM
Look's like shirts have it!

Acute Cut
01-29-2001, 05:48 AM
Many of you people are forgetting the MAIN reason for working with shirts off. It comes down to two main factors really.
1. Single guy in "moderate" shape. (loosly speaking)
2. Good looking female (single hopefully)

On initial bid i agree shirt of course. But, if it is hot and i have a nice tan and she is home.......
Well, you get the picture

(Meant in the fun of lawnsite guys)
Acute Cut

Charles
01-29-2001, 09:59 AM
Acute Cut,
Haven't you ever heard that women love men in Uniforms? I think i am going to get a airforce flyers uniform to cut grass in on the hotties yards.

moonarrow
01-29-2001, 11:04 AM
In my opionion I think it is very unprofessional to go without a shirt, and some costomer are insulted by it. In my company any one that works for me will wear a shirt

TurfGuyTX
01-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Shirts are not an option with us.