PDA

View Full Version : Time to start Hydroseeding?

Daren
01-27-2001, 04:41 PM
I live in Southeast Tennessee. It is still fairly cold. 40's and 50's during the day and 20's and 30's at night. Is it ok to start seeding lawns. i know it is a good time just using a spreader (dry). But the seed comes up much faster with hydro. will it harm the seed (grass) if it comes up to quick and gets reallty cold again? Thanks!

Daren

KirbysLawn
01-27-2001, 05:04 PM
Is this a special job or are you getting ready to do lawns and stuff. Most seeding in this area is done at the first of September. Now you have cold ground temps, and next month it's time to put out pre-emergents which will also cause problems.

I would wait until the ground temps get warmer if it's a must, but now is NOT a good time.

Davis TLC
01-27-2001, 05:15 PM
Right now is not a good time to start seeding. Due to the cold ground temps the seed would be very slow to germinate. If it did germinate the seedlings would be so fragile that any prolonged cold spells would certainly decrease the final stand of grass. Like Kirby pointed out September is a better time to do seeding, but you can do some seeding in early to mid March and have decent results. The only down side to this is you cannot spray post emergnats or use pre-emerge herbicides for at least 6-8 weeks after grass germinates.

awm
01-27-2001, 09:13 PM
Some farmers in this area dont give spring
pastures plantings much of a shot atmaking it.
They say the grass just doesnt develope and
harden enough by july agust to handle the heat.
I would be interested in what fellas in this
area think on this issue. the piedmont nc

KirbysLawn
01-28-2001, 12:14 AM
AWM, that's it. The root system is too weak and small.

kutnkru
01-28-2001, 12:24 AM
I've heard that the grounds temperature has to read somewhere around 62 dgrees before ferts and germination will begin to take effect.

Anyone know anything more about this ???

Thanks,
Kris

KirbysLawn
01-28-2001, 01:11 AM
65....that's the number on the Lesco bags, works well for me.

kutnkru
01-28-2001, 01:53 AM
Thanks kirby

Sean Gassman
02-16-2001, 12:38 AM
You are probable a few months early. This year most of us are actually having a winter. The last few years you may have been ok to hydroseed, but this year I would wait and watch the temps.

Check out Hydro Turf Planters Associations web site
http://www.htpa.org