PDA

View Full Version : What impliments do you own for your MTL?

Green Pastures
01-12-2005, 09:38 AM
I'm looking at buying .....

-a 4 way bucket
-a tiller
-a Harley rake
-an auger with about 4 bit sizes

I'll rent a stump grinder, trencher and 4 way blade as needed.

Green Pastures
01-14-2005, 12:09 AM
What?

Did I stutter?

Come on guy's what have you got?

What do you just rent?

Scag48
01-14-2005, 01:28 AM
4 Way bucket is a must have. Our's is the Cat brand bucket and it is great, I wouldn't have it any other way, very versatile piece. The Harley Rake will do way more than the tiller so scratch the that and save your $$$. Our Harley Rake is awesome, another specialized piece that is great at what it does. If you have a need for the auger, go for it. We also have a Cat T9B trencher that is awesome, it chews through anything. For us, our clientele consists of large houses, large lawns, and very limited access, so our 216 with a trencher is great for getting between property setbacks and getting the most out of a large trenching tasks. Good luck!

AL Inc
01-14-2005, 12:26 PM
I don't have the MTL, I have a Cat 246. I have the standard Cat bucket with removable tooth bar and the pallet forks. I have been able to get away without the 4 in 1, but I think that is next. I am able to do 90% of what I need to with the standard bucket and forks. I have found the forks to be really useful.

TerraFirma Excavating
01-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Like AL Inc., I don't have a MTL, but have a Bobcat 773. I have a 74" low profile bucket with a reversible cutting edge. I also have a 74" construction and industrial bucket with bolt-on teeth. I feel any skidsteer or MTL needs a tooth bucket for full digging potential. I tried the teeth on my low profile bucket, but it made it too long and I lost digging breakout power. The shorter C&I bucket with teeth was the solution to agressive digging.

I also made a "Rooter" bucket for digging out stumps or digging shallow ditches. It is a v-shaped bucket that has tremendous penetration for removing stumps. I have pictures HERE (http://www.bobcatforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=0&path=Root%20and%20Ditch%20Bucket)

I also have pallet forks. Another attachment every skid steer owner needs to have. I don't move pallets very often, but they work great for trees, lumber, welding machines, etc...

The Brushcat is a attachment I purchased this summer. I makes land clearing easy. It pretty much mulches any trees or brush smaller than 3" diameter. I was renting it as needed, but found that the rental units were being purchased and none were available. I bought one of the last 2 we had in the state late last fall. I only used it about 4 times since purchase, but owning it and having available as needed was priceless.

A rototiller and soil conditioner (harley rake) are nice at times also, but I can't justify the purchase price and just rent them as needed. Both are not rented out very often and I can get them almost anytime I need them. I don't do very much tree planting, so I don't need an auger very much either, so just another item I rent.

AL Inc
01-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Terrafirma, I like the bucket you made, good idea. I can think of a few jobs last year where that would have been handy. You've got me thinking now!

Tigerotor77W
01-16-2005, 10:32 AM
So TerraFirma Excavating is 500K_773 on the other forum? Howdy!

TerraFirma Excavating
01-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Yep, that's me. Started visiting this site because I am changing the scope of my work from excavating to land clearing and landscaping. Seems like a little more money being a little more specialized. I also want to set my son up in lawn care for the lawns I install.

Green Pastures
01-16-2005, 10:13 PM
So how much to make me one of the "V" buckets?

:blob3:

TerraFirma Excavating
01-16-2005, 11:27 PM
It's actually pretty easy to make attachments yourself. I imagine I only have about $350 of materials into the bucket, 2 hours labor cutting the pieces, and about 5 hours of welding. A company makes one like I build, but about a foot shorter and sells it for about $1,200. An engineer friend of mine said I should sell them. I may look into him stamping off on the design, get my structural welding certification, and build about 10 of them to sell.

I am getting ready to build my own root grapple next. Can't decide if I want to make it similar to Loflin Fabrication or AnBo's design.
http://i10.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/0b/62/98_1_b.JPG
http://i1.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/32/6c/ca_1_b.JPG
I figure I will have about $1,100 of materials into an attachment that normally sells for $3,000 - $4,000 where I'm at. Also going to make a 6-way dozer blade for dirt that I can also use for snow removal. Another $1,200 or so for an attachment that sells for $4,000 - $5,000 here in Alaska.