PDA

View Full Version : horse paddock and pasture spraying

grugreen
01-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Does anyone in the lawn industry offer service or do any paddock or pasture spraying? Wondering if there is a market anywhere for this. The company I work for gets asked to do this alot and we turn it away. Just curious if anybody is doing it. Thanks

j fisher
01-12-2005, 08:24 PM
I spray my own pastures for broadleaf weed control and do the fertilization. I use 2-4-D for the broad leafs. I turn the horses out the day after spraying. As far as fertilizing, you would want to keep them off the pasture for a few days, or after a rain as the fertilizer can cause minor burns to there muzzles from grazing. I do not offer this commercially, just my own experience. Hope this helps.

airtractrdrivr
01-12-2005, 09:12 PM
We do a lot of pasture spraying in the spring, mostly 2-4-D or Grazon PD, and I used to do even more when I was doing aerial application a while back. Livestock is usually back on it the day after spraying, or at the most, two days. I agree you need to keep stock off of a fertilized pasture for several days, though. Just make sure you follow your labels exactly, watch your winds, and stay away from inversion conditions. I've personally seen drift damage as far away as ten miles from the target area because of an inversion. Definitely look into drift ******ant additives also. If you've got the license and the equipment, pasture spraying can generate some good income.

grugreen
01-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, Ive been in the agronomy business for 15 years, so not really looking for recs and such. Just curious if anybody is offering the service and any money to be made. We get asked alot to do this and turn it down for lack of equipment to do the job right. A field sprayer is not a good paddock sprayer. Thanks for the replys again
The fertilizer burning the nose is a new one to me , we fertilizer a lot of pasture and never had a problem but can see it happening.