PDA

View Full Version : Are Hudson trailers worth the extra $$$$$$$?

thepawnshop
01-12-2005, 08:01 PM
I am going to look at a Hudson trailer for my skid-steer tomorrow and it is about $700 more than other trailers I am looking at in that class:

20' (18 with a 2' dove-tail)
12k (two 6,000 pound axles)
Dual brakes
5' ramps
L.E.D. Tail Lights
Powder Coat finish

$3,995

This is not a "Deck Over", but a low boy tag-a-long. The trailer itself weighs about 2500 lbs.

So do you guys think the "Hudson" name warrants the extra bucks?

Thanks!

lamarbur
01-12-2005, 08:16 PM
I have Bri-Mar 12,000 pound trailer and next to my neighbors 7,000 Hudson, there is no comparison. Although, I did say his 7 to my 12 and that may be all the difference.. I know my main rails are almost twice the width of his and the tires/rims much larger,,, I'd have to look it up but beleive the 12K Bri-Mar was 3100 and that was with some options

mrusk
01-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Never heard of hudson. Btw Bri mar =junk.

Matt

Randy Scott
01-12-2005, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE Btw Bri mar =junk.

Matt[/QUOTE]

Our Bri-Mar dump trailer has been nothing but a bullet-proof workhorse.

Tony Clifton
01-12-2005, 09:13 PM
I think they are solidly built. I own one, and know people that own them, they hold up really well. I don't think you could go wrong with one. I also think you may be able to find others for less that may be built just as well, but it would be a gamble, plus who in this business has time to drive all around and look at different trailers.

lamarbur
01-12-2005, 09:50 PM
have an awful hard time convinving me of

"Never heard of hudson. Btw Bri mar =junk."

laine inc
01-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Personaly I like Hudson trailers. I would by another one in a heart beat.

:blob3:

Lawnchoice
01-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Never heard of hudson. Btw Bri mar =junk.

Matt

Got anything to back up this comment with?

i_plant_art
01-13-2005, 01:21 PM
never heard of hudson either check out load- trail they make a NICE trailer just like what you are in the market for specifically for bobcat.

http://www.loadtrail.com/

John'sMaint
01-13-2005, 02:08 PM
I Have owed hudson trailers for yrs. Just bought another 16ft landscape trailer. I would pay the $700.00 more. Used other name trailers yrs ago till an axle broke loose on the trailer and it ended up in the ditch. I was lucky it did not swing out into oncomeing traffic!!!!!!!!!!!

mrusk
01-13-2005, 04:19 PM
I worked for a local trailer fabricator that built and sold 500-600 trailers a year. I know a thing or two about trailers. The only way to get a well built trailer is to find a good local shop. It's hard to explain the fabrication differences of trailers over the internet.

Matt

Lawnchoice
01-13-2005, 04:44 PM
I worked for a local trailer fabricator that built and sold 500-600 trailers a year. I know a thing or two about trailers. The only way to get a well built trailer is to find a good local shop. It's hard to explain the fabrication differences of trailers over the internet.

Matt

So trailers that are built in a controlled environment are not as of the quality as the ones that are built in a local shop? Hmmm.

Not to knock a local builder at all, I just would buy a high quality production model.

Planet Landscaping
01-13-2005, 06:00 PM
My 1987 Hudson bros 10,000lb equipment trailer is still on the job,It has many years left in it.Good trailers imho. Dont know about the others. :cool2:

lamarbur
01-13-2005, 08:41 PM
You have to realize I mentioned a 7000 Hudson vs the Bri-Mar 12,000.. It is comparing apples to oranges.. I looked good at a Hudson 10K trailer and didn't feel it was built as sturdy as the Bri-Mar 10K. Owning a L 48 TLB with extra buckets, chains and what heve you, and being right next to the scale house, I decided to get the 12K trailer instead.. My tractor and equipment weigh in somewhere around 8300 or so and the trailer is 2700. The scale house here in Union on 84, pulls over just about anything that rolls on wheels.. Knowing this and seeing it every day, I decided not to take any chances and just went with the Bri-Mar 12K trailer. I haven't seen a Hudson 12, so I can't comment on them.. a 10 yes.. They do stop me, especially a new DOT person and they do make sure you have a CDL as the trailer goes over 10K.. Other areas could care less or it isn't of significance to them... Over in Rhode Island is a trailer dealer with brands I never heard of and those 10 and 12K trailers weren't any bigger than the Hudson 7 my neighbor has... Thickness of main rails, wheels/tires and so on.. I suppose whatever works, whatever you feel comfortable with and go with that.,. Lke everything here, it is based on opinions..

Albemarle Lawn
01-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Best prices on Hudson.

Have bought 2 new Hudsons, one is now 10 years old and has original wood deck in good condition.

Wiring is junk, crimp connectors, at least on mine. Had to re-do.

Welds are good, just now replacing axles after 10 years. (Cheaper than all new drums and bearings just to change whole axle).