PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a ZTR

smburgess
01-27-2001, 09:31 PM
I know this has been asked many times, but I would like some opinions on ZTR's. I'll be buying one next month, used mostly for residentials, small footprint, grass collection a must, easy blade access, productive. Thanks all for any input. -Smoke

Davis TLC
01-27-2001, 10:03 PM
smburgess, here is a link to 86 threads on ZTR's. Read over these: if you have any more questions you can check the links page that Eric has.

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?query=ztr&forumchoice=-1&booleanand=yes&searchin=subject&searchdate=-1&searchuser=&searchdateline=&exactname=yes&action=dosearch&getdaily=&pagenum=

If you have any more questions you can check the links page that Eric has.

http://www.elmlawnsite.com/lawnsite_post_links.htm

mdb landscaping
01-27-2001, 10:05 PM
i have been researching for about 3 months and am going to buy an exmark lazer z. after all the research, and listening to all the comments, nobody had a bad thing to say about exmark. another reason why i went this way was because of exmarks new ultra vac. i went to the dealer and you can put the belt driven vac on in a second with only a few pins. my second choice was the scag turf tiger. well built machine, but more people told me exmark had a better cut. hope my findings help you out

Currier
01-27-2001, 10:40 PM
"...mostly for residentials, small footprint, grass collection a must, easy blade access, productive."

walkermowers.com.

Walkers are perfect for the applications listed. Very compact and grass collection system is second to none (as is the cut.)

LJ lawn
01-27-2001, 11:18 PM
i would second that WALKER recommendation. check out a WALKER mower .sounds like it's what you'll be looking for.PROVEN design.small and well built.scope out their website and check out the walker talk magazine articles.

mwallingford
01-27-2001, 11:45 PM
I third the Walker recommendation. As far as I'm concerned, no other mower gives the quality of cut that the Walker gives. Your yard will be as clean as a whistle when your done. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. If I were mowing wide open spaces, I would buy an Exmark. If fact, I have a Walker and an Exmark.

LWNMWRMN
01-27-2001, 11:45 PM
I would tend to stay away from the walkers, If you want to side discharge, bag and/or mulch then the exmark is the way to go. Also you can buy the lazer with all the attachments to do all three and it would still be cheaper than the dedicated bagger walker.

cleancut
01-27-2001, 11:47 PM
I would recommend a Gravely 260z or a Great Dane Surfer...Try them out..Derrick

JeffC
01-28-2001, 12:52 AM
The walker may be ok i have never use one but have looked at them if i had one i would both decks meaning the one that has side discharge i would think that the collection system that they have could be a pain at times.I used to bag grass but now I use gator blades and if rains and grows a little before i can mow i raise the deck just a little everyone seems pleased. I have two ladies that i mow for think that i'm still bagging.

65hoss
01-28-2001, 02:42 PM
I have the Lazar HP, and for leaf season I have the ultra vac. I does a really good job. Very easy to empty bags. Small footprint helps out on small properties. I have the 52" with 23 kawi and it runs 9.5 mph for the wide open areas. This makes it very versatile for both large and small jobs. I will be putting the mulching kit on once I finish spring clean ups.

Walkers would make good machine for small stuff also, but handling the clippings once collected is harder. You either need a dedicated area on your trailer or the big expensive walker bags. But they are the champ in grass collection. More expensive and have a lot more maintenance.

I love my exmarks! :cool:

lawman
01-28-2001, 04:52 PM
I have a lazer Z and it is a great mower. I have not tried the new bagging system though. I does sould like the walker is what you want. It cost more and is slower, but you can bag with it. And on small res. prop. speed is not what you want.

Mike Paulsen
01-28-2001, 05:56 PM
I too vote for walker by what you say your going to use it for. If the deck fits you can mow with a walker. No worry about blowing grass if the beds, no left behind clumps, no little dogs draging grass clippings inside after the morning dew. Flip up deck makes changing blades easy.Great cut. I don't know why people say their high maitenance, mine hasn't been ,just the normal maitenance and right at 2000 hrs. Make sure that it will fit your yards and gates before you pay 10,000. It looks stupid a nice machine like that sitting on a trailer half the time.

moonarrow
01-28-2001, 05:57 PM
I would suggest for small residential look into the wright stander or the new wright sentar they are a very compact machine and make a fine cut and on larger residential using a dixie chopper these are my choice and good luck with your decision

smburgess
01-29-2001, 12:36 AM
Thanks for all the advice, it's very much appreciated.

bababooie
01-29-2001, 03:06 PM
why would you buy a walker if there only good on small yards,why not just get a walk behind,if its a small yard.i thought riders are for jobs that are just to big to walk and to save time,and greenbacks?

Currier
01-29-2001, 06:44 PM
Walkers are good on all types of yards. Somehow the idea that since the don't mow at 20 mph they must be slow, high maintenance machines got started. We each have our favorite brands of mowers. Look around your area and see what is being used. Walkers are not high maintenance. You dont have pumps, hoses,valves, etc to go bad. (you have pulleys and belts...all easily changeable in the field with a limited amount of tools.) You do basic maintenance, as you should to all machines, and the Walker will last forever.

I would imagine that most folks favor their mower over any other brand. So I guess what you get is "what's your favorite mower." ...and not neccesarily objective advice.
One thing to know. If you use what others in your area are using, you probably will have decent dealer support. You probably will also be able to compare the quality of your work with the competitions.

nlminc
01-29-2001, 06:54 PM
I love my Walker. I use it for most of my residentials and I have 2 Dixie Choppers that I use to maintain larger properties. The Walker would be ideal for your needs. I also don't believe that they are high maintenance. Just keep up with the regular maintenance and you should be fine. Demo some different makes to get a feel for what you like and look around to see what others in your area are using.