PDA

View Full Version : Logo design dilema?

fairwayCuts
01-13-2005, 12:43 AM
I started up my LCO last June and just threw a logo together myself to put on some flyers and such. Well this year I'd really like to have something professionally done and aren't quite sure where to go. I've been looking at designoutpost.com and they seem to have some good stuff for fair prices. What I was really wondering though is if anybody has used a local design firm for something like this. I called a couple of places where I from and it seems like it's just a bit out of my budget. Do you think it's worth the extra money to have a firm create something, or is an online studio just as good? If anyone has any other suggestions that be great to! Thanks

tonygreek
01-13-2005, 12:56 AM
over the years, i've spent over a million dollars worth of other people's budget on design services. for the very minimal fee vs. design process you get from designoutpost, i'd highly recommend them. personally haven't used them, but i've spent much time on the site and am impressed. if you were to go through a similar process in a local design studio, you'd have spent many times their fees, so calling them "fair" is quite an understatement :) . my assumption is they are probably design students or part-timers padding their spending cash because you couldn't come close to that walking into a shop, especially with the often tedious design revision requests i've seen there.

whoever you use, go into it with a good idea of the image you want to evoke. unless you tell them "no golf designs for fareway cuts", you'll proably receive every one with some form of golf theme.

tony

mtdman
01-13-2005, 01:01 AM
I got my logo done for $150 or so at designoutpost.com. Compared to the thousands of $$ that a professional place wanted to charge, that's a damned bargain. I highly recommend them, I was more than happy with them.

fairwayCuts
01-13-2005, 01:07 AM
it seems like a lot of people like their work. I'l think I'll probobly use them. Have you ever had them design a postcard or bus card?

promower
01-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Put a posting up at your local tech school/University that has a graphic arts program. You can get a good design for very cheap and the students can add it to their porfolio. Just an idea.

mtdman
01-13-2005, 01:26 AM
No, I had the chick that did my logo do my b card design, turned out nice, imo.

:D

walker-talker
01-13-2005, 04:57 AM
it seems like a lot of people like their work. I'l think I'll probobly use them. Have you ever had them design a postcard or bus card?I recently had them design my flyer for the spring and was very impressed. Other than this particular artist not responding as frequent as I think he should of, I am glad I went this route and will do it again.

Cracker
01-13-2005, 07:46 AM
I was very very happy with the people who did mine. They also did my yellow pages ad.They were very easy to work with.
ammoadvertising- website
no I do not have any association with this place, just very happy with their service, support, and pricing.

marko
01-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Promower has a good idea. Look for someone local (student, someone on the side etc). They have a feel for your region/area and a college student could always use the money. A face to face meeting always has its benifits and you know any problems will be fixed by final approval. Have them give it to you on CD in many formats (.jpg, .tiff, .bmp)

walker-talker
01-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Have them give it to you on CD in many formats (.jpg, .tiff, .bmp)Don't for the vector based formats like .psd and .eps. If they are a true professional they will have these formats available. Honestly, try www.designputpost.com Your logo is not something you need to budget for (so to speak). If you can't afford the $100 that the logo will cost....beg. borrow or steal or wait until you can afford it, but get it done professionally. It represents the image of your business and will last for many years.

Soupy
01-13-2005, 11:08 AM
I used Designoutpost.com to design my logo and door-hanger. I used a guy from there to design and build my website (they don't build websites there, they only offer templates, so with the sites permission I solicited for designers to work outside the site on my project). The guy that did my door-hanger has also been hired outside of Designoutpost to do my truck design, yard signs, business cards, trailer sign, letterhead, envelopes, watermark. He is the guy I go to for everything now, except for the website designer.

I could not be happier with the quality of work I got from these guys. It was worth 3 x what I paid. The good thing is, you never have to leave your computer which also saves you time and money. I highly recommend them.

fairwayCuts
01-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Thanks for all the info!
Soupy - do you know if that guy is still working for design outpost so
I might take a look at some of his work, mabey request him to submit some designs?

Also - I can't remember who had the idea of going to a college or local tec school, but thats a real good idea I think. The students in there are most likely very eger to work with their new skills, and because of lack of expirience can't really charge what other prof might.

tonygreek
01-13-2005, 04:10 PM
fairway, just stroll through the project forums/logo design board and the archives for the same. you'll see plent of lco work as well as be able to see the revision process.

tony

Soupy
01-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all the info!
Soupy - do you know if that guy is still working for design outpost so
I might take a look at some of his work, mabey request him to submit some designs?

Also - I can't remember who had the idea of going to a college or local tec school, but thats a real good idea I think. The students in there are most likely very eger to work with their new skills, and because of lack of expirience can't really charge what other prof might.

I believe they are all still there. My logo was designed by member "Mark". I attached the logo without the name and slogan.

The doorhanger contest can be found here http://www.designoutpost.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2650&perpage=30&pagenumber=2 As you can see the winner name is "ElKootcho" His real name is Mike and he is the one that designs everything for me know.

The Website click here (www.lawn-tek.com) (it is temporally down, but should be up soon) was designed by member "JeremeDavid" although he did all the work outside of DesignOupost (with site owners permission). They only supply templates on the site and I was looking to have the site built from start to finish and only some of the designers are capable of that. Just so happens that I like Jereme's talent and he can build websites.

I think I covered my designoutpost experience. I have a lot of work that Elkootcho do that I will not display. He di do this truck layout for me on this thread http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=61616&highlight=opinion I don't want to clutter p anymore server space so i am not going to show my business card, lawn sign, letterhead, etc. Most of this could probably found doing a search under my name. It would have been posted sometime between January and April of 2004.

Soupy
01-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Well the logo isn't showing, but if you clicked on the links that I provided you will see the logo.

Smithers
01-13-2005, 06:41 PM
i bought my logo from a company online for $32 if i am not mistaken. it was last year. they had hundreds of logos. would use them again. let me know if you need the address.

soupy....as always.............very proffesional. you seem like you know what u are doing

Green Dreams
01-13-2005, 06:57 PM
I am another happy designoutpost customer. I get compliments all the time on mine...

Smithers
01-14-2005, 12:00 AM
i got mine from here.....they have thousands of design. the hard part is picking one.

check out their prices. they have website templates and everything else you need.
http://www.templatemonster.com/category.php?type=6

Soupy
01-14-2005, 12:29 AM
i got mine from here.....they have thousands of design. the hard part is picking one.

check out their prices. they have website templates and everything else you need.
http://www.templatemonster.com/category.php?type=6

So you have a logo that someone else might have too?

Smithers
01-14-2005, 10:55 AM
yes. you can buy the Unique logo and you will be the only one to haave it. In my case, i bought one, not unique, and i don't care. What are the chances that someome will have it in my area that is an LCO??? none.

tonygreek
01-14-2005, 11:11 AM
What are the chances that someome will have it in my area that is an LCO??? none.

good point... that little suburb of birmingham, michigan that you operate in is small enough that i wouldn't worry. :D

edit:
talk about sarcasm not translating. i'm of course referring to detroit being the small suburb of birmingham. boy...

tony

Team Gopher
01-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Hi fairwayCuts,

I think going online is the way to go too. Many of these artists are very talented and you have more choice online than you do locally. I can't wait to see what your logo looks like.