PDA

View Full Version : Target market?

fairwayCuts
01-13-2005, 03:44 AM
Lately I've really trying to do a lot of research on demographics in my area. The reason I'm doing this is so I'm able to target specific people when I start my flyering and send out postcards. Anyway, who do you guys market to? Are there any studies out there that show what type of demographic is more likely to use our services? I've got lots of info on who lives where, I just am not quite sure who I should be sending my flyers to?

Thanks

walker-talker
01-13-2005, 06:34 AM
Who is most likely to purchase lawncare services.....that would be interesting to know. I would want it narrowed down to just mowing....I think you would see more of a pattern there, compared to other lawncare services. When I did my postcards last spring I purchased a mailing list. The criteria I used was this:

Zip code, homeowner, over 50 years old, property value of $80,000+ Seems like I am missing something, but not sure.

The bad thing about my list and you might check you state regulations, if you are purchasing a list, but in the state of Kansas they could not combine the list of certain data (don't remember exactly what), but they gathered this information of the 2000 censes. Well, one zip code in particular are comprised of newer houses. Since the information on hand was 4 years old, it left out a lot of residents.

Let us know what you come up with!!!

T Edwards
01-13-2005, 08:26 AM
Fairway, drive thru the neighborhoods and decide which lawns you would like to service. We target large yards with double gates or no fences at all. We pass on yards that are heavy on ornamental crap like gnomes and reflection balls. We get a good response from dropping off a business card.

J Hisch
01-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Baby Boomers, and Senoir citizens are the most common residental clients.

Baby Boomers becasue they are beinging to inherit wealth that there parents left behind. Meaning they got additional money to burn also they themselves are well established. Most babyboomers you know have great jobs. think about it.

Seniors, well you figure it out.

fairwayCuts
01-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the response guys! I guess I would imagine the babby boomer age and a higher income client to be the type of customer we're trying to target, it's just I wonder if there are any resources on that actual fact. I know first hand expirience from you guys is going to be better than any resource article, and I appriciate that, but I'm looking for some type of study or something. There are two reasons I say that. One is just for my own knowledge. The other is because I'm trying to write up a business plan, and I'd like to be able to base my target market of of research.

Thanks

mtdman
01-13-2005, 03:51 PM
I target neighborhoods I want to be in. There are certain areas I know I like to work in and where I have customers already. I target my advertising to those neighborhoods.

Lux Lawn
01-13-2005, 04:00 PM
I target neighborhoods I want to be in. There are certain areas I know I like to work in and where I have customers already. I target my advertising to those neighborhoods.

I try to do the same thing to get as many in a close section as I can like the city I live in and the city's right around me.I just found a couple little section's of house's I am going to pass out flyer's to this spring to try to get in there it's right down the street from where I live with some nice home's.

PR Fect
01-13-2005, 06:15 PM
When we solicit new residential customers we go for the older neighborhoods. The reason being they have their home paid for or have a small mortgage and property taxes. We found out that those middle age people with big new homes are " house poor " , no money for lawn care services.