PDA

View Full Version : File formats for flyers, postcards, doorhangers....etc?

walker-talker
01-13-2005, 07:38 AM
Just curious what file format do you guys ask for when you have a designer/artist complete a project for you. I know the norm, but doing you usually ask for certain formats each time?

Recently I had a designer complete a flyer project for me. The printer that I choose this time (48hourprint) has an array of formats that are accepted. I am just afraid that I might come across a printer that will only accept a particular format. My logo was given in .jpg, .gif, .bmp and .eps. My postcards were in .tiff format only....and that worked for that particular printer. My recent flyers were given to me in .psd The designer that did the flyers told me that he could offer any format that I wanted and that .psd was the best...something about offering the truest color in that format. I was thinking about asking it for in .psd, .eps and .tiff formats. I know there are more out there, but I think these formats are probably the most popular.

What do you think?

Matt

NEUSWEDE
01-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Ask for jpeg as well becauce on 48 hour print you can design online and you can only upload jpg files to design online and I just did my business cards and postcards on 48 hour print and I couldn't be more happy with the way things turned out. The design online feature was probably the best part.
good luck and show us how it turns out.

Luscious Lawns
01-13-2005, 08:19 AM
I also run a graphics shop in adation to the Landscap biz. There are numerous file extensions. Like you mentioned .jpg .bmp etc. these are sutiable for desktop publishing only. If you are paying a pro for the design, DEMAND the file in .eps or .ai These can be used on bisness cards or they can be inlarged to the size of a truck graphic with no loss in fidelity. Most commercial printers will only accept the .eps or .ai format

Bottom line, if the designer does not deliver a .eps or .ai format he is a scrub.

Allen

grass-scapes
01-13-2005, 11:56 PM
eps and AI are the way to go, however, only companies that use illustrator can use them in that format ( unless they convert it) My t-shirt printer uses corel Draw. I gave them the file in AI format and they converted it to a raster image from vector. I save mine in ai format because they are much smaller. (same file eps format 4 megs, ai format 379kb)

walker-talker
01-14-2005, 12:13 AM
Just spoke with the designer....I will have them in .eps, .psd and high resolution .jpg

Thanks for the input.