PDA

View Full Version : Magnet Signs on a trailer with rivets?

Smithers
01-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Ok, i did a search, but nothing relevent came up, so here is my question.

I am ordering magnetic signs for my truck from a company online. I need 3 for the truck and 3 for the trailer. The trailer ones are going to be bigger.

The problem is that they said, "You can't not use magnetic signs if there are rivets/bolts on the surface". my trailer is covered with rivets.

What do i do for sings on the trailer? I can NOT have vinyl or Permanent signs becuase there is a rule in my area that i can't have a commercial trailer in the yard - period. This way, i can say that the trailer is used for personnal use, not for commercial.

So, if i had magnetic signs, i'd take them off before coming home.

Please let me know what options i have. Thanks a lot, guys.

Triple L
01-13-2005, 02:34 PM
what kind of rivits you got, are the head's rounded, then they will stick fine. Even if they are not as long as the sides of the magnet are not on rivits I don't think you will have a problem. or you can cut holes in your magnets so that the rivits go through but that will not look good.

Smithers
01-13-2005, 02:39 PM
they are actually screws with funky head - one that can not be unscrewed easily. i think the head is hex or octagonal (8 sides)..

they are i'd guess 3/8"-1/2" wide and stick out about 1/4" off the surface. I'd guess.

cutting the magnet will not work. the nuts/rivets are every 6-8 inches longitudinally and a row every 12" or so.

The trailer is covered, so i don't remember exactly.

mtdman
01-13-2005, 02:39 PM
The major problem with mag signs is you gotta have them flat against the truck/trailer, or else the wind will yank them right off. I imagine they say no rivits because it will create leading edges for the wind to yank off. As long as you have an area on the trailer that the signs can go up against and be flat and smooth, you should be fine.

Smithers
01-13-2005, 03:13 PM
tom, i understand that....but that;s the problem. i have rows and rows of rivets on the trailer. nowhere can i find a 10x10 area with nothing but flat surface. what do you use on the trailer?

Hamons
01-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Does your homes association or city or whatever really buy that your 12' enclosed trailer and $7k in mowers is jsut for "personal use"?

Signs don't make the differernce between personal and private.

But -- hey If they're buying it now. I wouldn't mess that up.

I would just get signs for the truck. If you wanted to add signage to the enclosed trailer -- Just do it on the back. Rivet on a a blank piece of metal large enough for the magnet to stick to on the back door and then remove it when you get close to your house.

j fisher
01-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Is your trailer metal or alumumum? My bet is alumunum, and magnetic signs want stick to start with. Check it out before you waste money on signs you can use.

Smithers
01-13-2005, 03:53 PM
crap....you might be right. it is aluminum. what do you guys do in this case? J Fisher, thanks for remind me. i was going to just order them before checking it out. damn, you saved me some money. thanks.

Do i have any othe choice? Can i even put anything else but the vinyl?

Hamons, i live in a neighborhood, not in association. They dont really see the equipment in the enclosed trailer. they only see me cutting grass (my neighbors) with a big mower. my neighbors know that i do that on the side, and dont seem to care.

so, i dont have any other option? but to put signs only on the truck? that is not what i wanted to hear.

Hamons
01-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Adding the metal would still work and if done well would look good even when blank.

Smithers
01-13-2005, 04:12 PM
jeff, i am sorry, i dont understand what you are trying to say "adding metal"...what kind of metal should i add?

sorry about that.

RedWingsDet
01-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Ok, i did a search, but nothing relevent came up, so here is my question.

I am ordering magnetic signs for my truck from a company online. I need 3 for the truck and 3 for the trailer. The trailer ones are going to be bigger.

The problem is that they said, "You can't not use magnetic signs if there are rivets/bolts on the surface". my trailer is covered with rivets.

What do i do for sings on the trailer? I can NOT have vinyl or Permanent signs becuase there is a rule in my area that i can't have a commercial trailer in the yard - period. This way, i can say that the trailer is used for personnal use, not for commercial.

So, if i had magnetic signs, i'd take them off before coming home.

Please let me know what options i have. Thanks a lot, guys.

Bro, what I would do is, do permanent vinyl and then get some BLANK magnetic signs that match the color of the truck and trailer so when you come home you can cover them up ;)

Well, that's what I would do.
Hope that helped.

EDIT: I just read that you have a trailer where mag's wont work, so never mind. But Ill leave this post for someone else who may benifit from this idea, Or you can even do this for your truck ;)

Smithers
01-13-2005, 04:19 PM
mark,

that was going to be a great idea, but as J pointed out, the magnetic signs will not stick on the trailer over the permament signs.

Hamons
01-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Some sheetmetal cut just a few inches bigger than you magnet each way. Paint it black or white or whatever color you like to match your trailer. Screw it on centered on the back and then put your magnet on it.

mtdman
01-13-2005, 04:48 PM
tom, i understand that....but that;s the problem. i have rows and rows of rivets on the trailer. nowhere can i find a 10x10 area with nothing but flat surface. what do you use on the trailer?

I've got an open trailer with no room to put signs.

:D

ProMo
01-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Bro, what I would do is, do permanent vinyl and then get some BLANK magnetic signs that match the color of the truck and trailer so when you come home you can cover them up ;)

blank magnetic should hold if you arent moving the support beams are steel

Smithers
01-14-2005, 09:58 AM
the studs are steeel, but the rivets will create air gaps and the signs will fly off the trailer.

TerraVenture
01-14-2005, 10:24 AM
you could remove some of the screws holding the aluminum siding on and replace them with some nut inserts. Any body shop can perform this. Once you figure out what size sign you want make a sign out of 1/2" plywood have it lettered in vinyl. Drill out the plywood corresponding to the holes you had nut insert installed in the trailer. Now attach you signs with thumb screws. Make sure you install some sort of locking mechanism to keep the thumbs screws from turning. If you don't install the locking mechanism the thumb screws will work out from road vibrations. Use 1/2" plywood because anything less will vibrate in the wind and make a lot of annoying noise and vibrate the thumb screws too much. I have used plywood signs on my truck and my father has had them on his truck for twenty plus years. We have not used thumb screws but this system will work for you.

Henry
01-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Why don't you just save yourself some money and not put signs on the trailer. It won't be on a job without the truck will it?

Smithers
01-14-2005, 10:56 AM
Why don't you just save yourself some money and not put signs on the trailer. It won't be on a job without the truck will it?
yeah, that's what i am thinking......i just wanted to becuase they were going to be much bigger and draw more attention to me while i work. they can't see the numbers from their houses unless they come outside. there is no other way around it.

actually, there is. i can pay to store my lettered trailer in a yard for $40/month.

but what do u do when you trade up the traler?

lawncare3
01-14-2005, 02:05 PM
I don't know if this is a good idea or not. But I would say get aluminum signs with vinal on them. Then have some sort of quick bolt like a bolt with a cotter pin that you can just snap on and off to make the signs easly removable but look good at the same time.

Like These: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=69570

lawncare3
01-14-2005, 02:07 PM
I just also noticed your "trade up" you can take vinal off VERY easly with a heat gun. I just changed my number and it was extremally easy.

Smithers
01-14-2005, 03:00 PM
thanks, chris. yeah, that's an idea. i just have to make sure that it is well secured, since i might be on the highway. dont want to rip a hole in the trailer fro snaping due to wind

lawncare3
01-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Also use plywood backing. It won't move as much. :)

Team Gopher
01-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Hamons has a good point there. I think that would do it.

Smithers
01-17-2005, 05:18 PM
i am thinking more in line with Chris......a quick disconect or something that the clips are there permanently, but the sign is not. so i just put the sign up while going away and put it in the truck bed when i am coming home.

some kind of clips......chrome clips....ideas?

lawncare3
01-17-2005, 05:37 PM
You could also put a blot through the trailer and secure it with another bolt on the oppsite side. Than have a bolt on the sign sort of like this

D----D l D

The d's are for nut and bolt heads. The l is for your board. You could use a ratchet to take it off with ease.

Smithers
01-18-2005, 05:17 PM
You could also put a blot through the trailer and secure it with another bolt on the oppsite side. Than have a bolt on the sign sort of like this

D----D l D

The d's are for nut and bolt heads. The l is for your board. You could use a ratchet to take it off with ease.
chris, i know exactly what you mean...something like a jam nut, right? it's a rod with two nuts, you can't unscrew the bottom without unscrewing the top one. that would be really good. i can have it with the plastic handles as screws so i dont need any tools to screw the panel on or off. i just have to drill thru the trailer all the way to the other side.... hmmmm. interesting.

lawncare3
01-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Maybe even a wing nut

Smithers
01-20-2005, 11:14 PM
metro from my area had an idea....use velcro/industrial double tape and tape up the sheet metal, take on and off any time i need it. what do you think, chris?

lawncare3
01-21-2005, 12:20 AM
I think make sure the velcro sticks. I have industrial velcro on my radar detector and in the hot summer heat it likes to melt. So I will look for some options for u.

lawncare3
01-21-2005, 12:23 AM
You could also time it on with carabieners like used for climbing and have some type of strap that would be able to be used like mower tie downs (not ratchet) and tighten them onto the carabieners. So it would hang on for things like this :

lawncare3
01-21-2005, 12:34 AM
The "O'S" Are supposted to be the carabieners. The lines On the sign are the quick straps.

Smithers
01-21-2005, 08:09 AM
chris, i love the drawing.:):) thanks a lot. the number should have been 800-Hot-Stuff!!!
lol

i have never heard of carabieners (sp?). i have to look into that. there is industrial tape/velcro that will stick, and hopefully not come off in the heat. i just have to find out what it's called and where to get it.

lawncare3
01-21-2005, 01:26 PM
They look like these. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52373&item=8163820402&rd=1

CHEVYCRAIG
01-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Why not put a blank piece of aluminium on the back of the trailler with velcro around the edging,put velcro on your magnetic sign and pull it off when you bring it home?That leaves only a blank piece on the trailer,gets them on an technicallity!

PLM-1
01-22-2005, 10:48 PM
you could put some kind of "J-Track" and slide the sign panels in.

EX. J-Track on the sides and bottom and slide the panel from the top.

PLM-1
01-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Or just do it ghetto style...duct tape it on everyday.

Smithers
01-23-2005, 04:45 PM
duct tape would look really professiona.l. ::):)

i track is a good idea too. i like sheetmetal to velcro or indusrial double tape the best so far

Property Pro
01-24-2005, 05:09 PM
if you are just going to put the sign on the back of the trailer maybe you could use Velcro. the wind shouldn't catch the sign on the back so maybe the Velcro would hold. just a thought.

PLM-1
01-24-2005, 05:25 PM
if you are just going to put the sign on the back of the trailer maybe you could use Velcro. the wind shouldn't catch the sign on the back so maybe the Velcro would hold. just a thought.

I don't think that would work. The air flows up the back and would flick it right off. Especially since there will be a protruding surface between the sign and the trailer.

Smithers
01-24-2005, 09:17 PM
i think the back would work, but not the sides. the wind does "curve" nearly enough to catch the sign on the drop gate.

billhartz
07-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Magnetic signs will not stick to most lawn trailers as they are alum. Before buying magnetic signs my suggestions is to take a refrigerator magnetic and test your trailer or vehicle to make sure it will hold a magnetic sign. If you realy want to use a magnetic sign on an alum trailer you will need to add a sheet of steel from a local supply or home store to the outside of your trailer. Magnetic signs tend to tear off at high speeds so make sure you buy good quality magnetic signs that have rounded corners.
I purchased several sets from http://www.peelnstick.com/magnetic.html

MarcSmith
07-02-2006, 11:59 AM
if you are foingto havwe to remove your signs every day I would rivet the painted sheet metal to the trailer then use the magnets as described....The constant on/off of the magnets is hard on them. The best Idea would be to have your logo done on the sheet metal and then a "blank" magnet to cover.

Th eother option I dont know it was mentions or not, but woudl be to have a hinge put in the middle of the sign. so when you pull into your hood unscrew a couple wingnuts and fold the sign down. and if you have to move, the sign can be taken off the trailer and taken with you.

Kinda like this

BoothsLawnCare
07-06-2006, 01:51 PM
If your neighbors don,t mind that you have the trailer, why not just have the back of the trailer done in vinyl and back it in when you get home so no one from the street can see it, because all of the other suggestion have been good I just can not help but think that the neighborhood will notice them, which they probable already know what it is for.

Smithers
07-06-2006, 02:39 PM
If your neighbors don,t mind that you have the trailer, why not just have the back of the trailer done in vinyl and back it in when you get home so no one from the street can see it, because all of the other suggestion have been good I just can not help but think that the neighborhood will notice them, which they probable already know what it is for.
that's a good idea. then, at least the people behind me will know that i have a company.

Watkinslawnservice
07-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Why not just move out of the snobbish neighborhood that won't let you advertise your service all the time. An enclosed trailer is like a billboard if you could keep the graphics on all the time.

I hate rules.

RedWingsDet
07-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Why not just move out of the snobbish neighborhood that won't let you advertise your service all the time. An enclosed trailer is like a billboard if you could keep the graphics on all the time.

I hate rules.

Because in order to get out of that kind of area you have to commute like 50 miles out to the country.

The only way to solve the problem is quit storing it at your house and pay the $100 a month or whatever it is to store it somewhere safe until you get bigger and can get your own shop. I only stored my trailer when I was 16 at my house for about 3 months until I decided to rent a spot for $100 a month, it was well worth it, I hated having to look outside all the time and was reminded of work... But now I have a shop that can hold about 8 trucks and trailers so I should be set.

Smithers
07-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Because in order to get out of that kind of area you have to commute like 50 miles out to the country.

The only way to solve the problem is quit storing it at your house and pay the $100 a month or whatever it is to store it somewhere safe until you get bigger and can get your own shop. I only stored my trailer when I was 16 at my house for about 3 months until I decided to rent a spot for $100 a month, it was well worth it, I hated having to look outside all the time and was reminded of work... But now I have a shop that can hold about 8 trucks and trailers so I should be set.
the only bad thing about signs on the gate is that when the inspectors come, they can walk around the trailer and see it.

mark, you are right, i will have to move out of my area. how much is that shop per month?

Team-Green L&L
07-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Add a .40 inch sheet of sheet metal attached with bolts drilled through your trailor. Now, you have the flat surface. The sheets are $150.00 or so. You can get them at any any sign shop. Ours is only 1/3 of the sheet.

Poncho25
07-11-2006, 02:10 PM
I had the same issue, I put the magnets on the side doors of the truck and got an aluminum 24x36 sign that I just bolted into the back of the trailer, my area I live in is the same, but how often is the truck going to be sitting in the driveway doing nothing? if its sitting there, then your doing something wrong and you need to get more work :usflag:

Its worked for me because on the sides, they see the magnets, while driving if behind they see the other sign...GL

Smithers
07-11-2006, 03:56 PM
I had the same issue, I put the magnets on the side doors of the truck and got an aluminum 24x36 sign that I just bolted into the back of the trailer, my area I live in is the same, but how often is the truck going to be sitting in the driveway doing nothing? if its sitting there, then your doing something wrong and you need to get more work :usflag:

Its worked for me because on the sides, they see the magnets, while driving if behind they see the other sign...GL
poncho,

it is sitting in my driveway most of the time becuase i am part time. an inspector can easily walk around it (although it's behind a chain link gate) and see a sign on the back. but i agree with the steel plates bolted through.

post a pic like team green did.

amw
07-18-2006, 11:48 PM
put vinyl on it and store it somewhere ...i can store it for you for $20..
lol

so what kind of signs are you going to do, did you figure it out?

Smithers
07-19-2006, 07:02 PM
put vinyl on it and store it somewhere ...i can store it for you for $20..
lol

so what kind of signs are you going to do, did you figure it out?
how about you pay me to store it at your house?

dont like vinyl. the last guy that did my magnet signs gave me a piece of junk magnet. it melted from the sun.

amw
07-19-2006, 09:49 PM
how about you pay me to store it at your house?
..sure, just dont forget to leave me the keys...lol

dont like vinyl. the last guy that did my magnet signs gave me a piece of junk magnet. it melted from the sun.

should have called me, i would have hooked you up.:)

Smithers
07-19-2006, 10:42 PM
..sure, just dont forget to leave me the keys...lol

should have called me, i would have hooked you up.:)

you do magnets? how about shirts? how much for a green shirt with a large logo on back and smaller one on left pocket?

amw
07-28-2006, 12:01 PM
you do magnets? how about shirts? how much for a green shirt with a large logo on back and smaller one on left pocket?

yes we make magnets for trucks, starting at $35 for a set of 2. For shirts the price is based on how many you want, for 12 green with 1 color logo on back (large) and front (small) they would run about $10.50 each. you can add names on them (they dont all have to be the same) for $1 each. You can also mix and match sizes, and colors of the shirts and logos too. If you need anything give me a call at 248 233-6306.