PDA

View Full Version : get educated or not

jarroo's lawncare
01-13-2005, 02:45 PM
I am just starting and i was wondering how important it would be to get a degree in turf management. would it help with business or would it be better to just go ahead and start landscaping instead? how many of you have a degree for this kind of work and has it helped?

Gatewayuser
01-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Do what I'm doing go to school in the evening, and have your business too. I think it is very helpful to your biz to have some sort of landscape education.

tonygreek
01-13-2005, 04:05 PM
if you have zero college education, at the very least i would take some english, business writing, and communications (read: public speaking) classes. effective communication goes a long way.

out4now
01-13-2005, 10:23 PM
You can pick up alot of info here but not like you can from the colleges. Go in the evenings if you can. Not all the courses I'm taking are in the evening becaus e they are still expanding. I'd say put business classes more ahead of the turf stuff though. Running the business properly is more critical, the rest of the info you can get from a turf class or county extension service. jmy.02

Greentek4
01-25-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm currently taking landscape horticulture classes in ohio right now and it goes over many different parts of the landscape industry but theres so much crap in the classes. You spend hours and hours learning how you should wear a helmet, face sheid, ear protection, gloves, chaps and every other kind of imaginable peace of safety equiptment when you're using a trimmer. But then the more important things, the things you wanted to learn that made you decide to go to college are just very vaguely covered. I'm 20 years old right now and i have been working in the industry for 10 years and so far i dont think the classes have been to helpful. I think just working for a decent company is the best training you can get. The classes teach you the lingo, but nothing beats actually being outside doing the jobs. It would probably do u better to go after some sort of degree in business then take a landscape or turf course here or there on the side. 1